Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Boris really beetle off this time?
He seems ready to leave, but then again it is Boris so who knows.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/202...n-to-power.

Boris Johnson dramatically quit as prime minister after a mass walkout of MPs finally sealed his fate, signalling an end to one of the most divisive and turbulent periods in British politics.

In a speech outside Downing Street on Thursday that was tinged with bitterness, he blamed ministers for turning on him but expressed neither regret nor contrition for his mistakes.

The day of drama at Westminster began with more of Johnson’s ministers quitting in a bid to force him out – including Michelle Donelan, who had taken the job of education secretary just two days earlier.
Johnson rang Graham Brady, chair of the backbench 1922 Committee, early on Thursday morning, and emerged from No 10 at lunchtime to concede publicly that he had lost his party’s support.
His premiership, which will have lasted just three years, was overshadowed by the catastrophic Covid crisis, and marred by persistent claims of sleaze, which saw two ethics advisers resign.

But in his speech, delivered as his wife, Carrie, stood nearby holding their young daughter, Johnson called his colleagues’ decision to dislodge him “eccentric”, suggesting they had been driven by a herd mentality.
Johnson made no apology for any of the self-inflicted scandals that prompted his party to turn against him, including the hiring of an alleged sexual predator, Chris Pincher, as deputy chief whip.

The Labour leader, Keir Starmer, said his party would table a motion of no confidence in the government in the House of Commons if Johnson did not step aside straight away.

“He needs to go; he can’t cling on in this way. His own party have now decided that he’s unfit to be prime minister. They can’t now inflict him on the country for the next few months,” he said."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
It would appear that the most likely way forward will be the election of another leader by the Conservative Party, as taking the fall back approach of the role being taken up by the Deputy PM doesn't seem popular.

Once the Conservatives have another leader the many MPs who have resigned under Boris could have their roles reinstated which I guess many would agree to under the changed leadership.

As long as Boris remains as a 'caretaker PM' I don't imagine these MPs would accept regaining their titles as their reason for resignation would still exist and as long as the many cabinet positions remain vacant Britain's parliament will be in a state of virtual paralysis.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(08-07-2022, 06:35 PM)Zurdo Wrote:
 Brilliant! Best fake news I've seen all day.
Big Grin Big Grin

And I love this little touch too.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter...1657216504

"Hugh Grant was the reason why the Benny Hill theme music was played over a broadcast about Boris Johnson’s resignation.

On Thursday (7 July), Johnson announced he would step down as prime minister following an onslaught of resignations in protest over his leadership.
During a Sky News broadcast at around 11.30am, that soon went viral, the chipper track “Yakety Sax” could be heard playing while the broadcaster’s reporter kept a straight face as he spoke about the situation.

Twitter users then unearthed a tweet Grant had written hours earlier at approximately 9am: “Morning @snb19692 Glad you have your speakers back. Do you by any chance have the Benny Hill music to hand?”

I suppose the Hugh Grant thing might be made up, but much like the story about the Danish king & the yellow star, its such a good story that it deserves to be true. Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Don't hold back! Big Grin
(08-07-2022, 07:35 PM)harm_less Wrote:
Don't hold back! Big Grin
FB has had loads of comments on Boris going. Offers to help pack & one photo of a removal van heading for number 10, 'just in case help is needed'. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Rolleyes
He will do a Trump and invite all his party faithful and followers to invade 10 Downing Street and say his resignation is all fake news  Big Grin
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
(09-07-2022, 08:19 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: He will do a Trump and invite all his party faithful and followers to invade 10 Downing Street and say his resignation is all fake news  Big Grin
That has to be on the cards. I think. Big Grin Big Grin

Nothing would surprise me when it comes to Boris or Trump. Rolleyes Rolleyes
I actually feel sorry for the guy, I dont think he was that bad, but jolly woke politics has got in the way.
He never wanted any damn lockdowns to begin with but was forced to implement them.

He got lumped with having to deal with the whole brexit mess when he took office too, that was a major problem that was no politicians fault, but the public who demanded it.
(12-07-2022, 01:31 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: I actually feel sorry for the guy, I dont think he was that bad, but jolly woke politics has got in the way.
He never wanted any damn lockdowns to begin with but was forced to implement them.

He got lumped with having to deal with the whole brexit mess when he took office too, that was a major problem that was no politicians fault, but the public who demanded it.
Democracy in action - any politician who ignores the will of the masses is a fool...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup