Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bloody idiots!
Thumbs Down 
How on earth could they screw up on quarantine after all the hard work NZ has put into getting rid of Covid19?!
There shouldnt even be any compassionate grounds to leave, how are you supposed to trust their movements?
The virus shows no compassion and many of us have made sacrifices.
If family want to leave NZ and their family behind to move overseas, this is the price you pay, no exceptions.
Fingers crossed they have not spread it to others.
Never underestimate the incompetency of government employees in positions of responsibility. That has been compounded by the less than honest behaviour of two expat Kiwis on this occasion by the looks of things.
(17-06-2020, 08:39 PM)harm_less Wrote: Never underestimate the incompetency of government employees in positions of resposibility. That has been compounded by the less than honest behaviour of two expat Kiwis on this occasion by the looks of things.

.........and lack of testing.  Why people aren't tested when they arrive only the COL know.  Young man I know wasn't tested until his 12th day in quarantine and they turned up while he was outside having a smoke talking to new arrivals who joined him for a smoke.  Perhaps the Army will be more vigilant.
These stupid women should be named and given a hefty fine and everyone involved in their early release from isolation sacked, and I have just read that Air New Zealand cabin crew do not have to go through quarantine if they followed Ministry of Health precautions while overseas. Is this really protecting our border ... I think not
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
It is time to either scrap or at least amend the bill of rights which apparently precludes the authorities from conducting the tests without a person's approval.
What stupid nonsense pervades this 21st century.
(18-06-2020, 07:06 AM)Rumpelteazer Wrote: It is time to either scrap or at least amend the bill of rights which apparently precludes the authorities from conducting the tests without a person's approval. 
What stupid nonsense pervades this 21st century.
Either that or provide a choice; no test = no entry. This strategy works for refusing to provide a blood sample in drunk driving situations.

ETA: According to a RadioNZ news interview refusal of having a test conducted results in a doubling of the 14 day quarantine period (i.e. 28 days) so essentially it sounds like they're using double the maximum COVID incubation period to provide proof of non-infection in such cases. https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programme...se-testing
(17-06-2020, 08:58 PM)Kacee Wrote:
(17-06-2020, 08:39 PM)harm_less Wrote: Never underestimate the incompetency of government employees in positions of resposibility. That has been compounded by the less than honest behaviour of two expat Kiwis on this occasion by the looks of things.

.........and lack of testing.  Why people aren't tested when they arrive only the COL know.  Young man I know wasn't tested until his 12th day in quarantine and they turned up while he was outside having a smoke talking to new arrivals who joined him for a smoke.  Perhaps the Army will be more vigilant.
This blew me away too, it appears testing was not done at all to begin with, just 14 days and then you can go home.

Also blows me away that people were taking poor Bloomfield to court to get released from quarantine for "compassionate" leave because it was too "strict"

IMHO, its not quarantine if you are allowed "out"
(18-06-2020, 02:05 PM)nzoomed Wrote:
(17-06-2020, 08:58 PM)Kacee Wrote: .........and lack of testing.  Why people aren't tested when they arrive only the COL know.  Young man I know wasn't tested until his 12th day in quarantine and they turned up while he was outside having a smoke talking to new arrivals who joined him for a smoke.  Perhaps the Army will be more vigilant.
This blew me away too, it appears testing was not done at all to begin with, just 14 days and then you can go home.

Also blows me away that people were taking poor Bloomfield to court to get released from quarantine for "compassionate" leave because it was too "strict"

.......or at least tested 3 times if you want to be let out a few hours---then straight back after the funeral or whatever to finish your quarantine after a final test.
(18-06-2020, 03:16 PM)Kacee Wrote:
(18-06-2020, 02:05 PM)nzoomed Wrote: This blew me away too, it appears testing was not done at all to begin with, just 14 days and then you can go home.

.......or at least tested 3 times if you want to be let out a few hours---then straight back after the funeral or whatever to finish your quarantine after a final test.
Pressure being applied from a National MP for the release on compassionate grounds for the two woman who drove AKL-WEL pretty much negates a good part of the blame that is being levelled at the government and the Director-General of Health. It's pretty difficult to keep the worms in the can when the system is being undermined by those who are in positions of authority who should know better.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic...d=12341059
the person who signed the exemption needs to be held accountable. it's not acceptable this has happened when 5 million people did their part to get this down to zero and lost jobs and sacrificed so much to achieve it.
Crab2
(18-06-2020, 09:33 PM)crab2 Wrote: the person who signed the exemption needs to be held accountable. it's not acceptable this has happened when 5 million people did their part to get this down to zero and lost jobs and sacrificed so much to achieve it.

I completley agree, the majority of NZ all had to stay home and stop work for a whole month, with the majority of people not infected, whereas someone from a flight overseas with a high probability of having Covid gets let out and not even tested!

Honestly its such a stupid thing to do, too stupid to even believe somebody would even allow it!
I cant help but think that bribery or corruption is possible, because how could you be so stupid?!
hopefully that person gets sacked!
(18-06-2020, 04:03 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(18-06-2020, 03:16 PM)Kacee Wrote: .......or at least tested 3 times if you want to be let out a few hours---then straight back after the funeral or whatever to finish your quarantine after a final test.
Pressure being applied from a National MP for the release on compassionate grounds for the two woman who drove AKL-WEL pretty much negates a good part of the blame that is being levelled at the government and the Director-General of Health. It's pretty difficult to keep the worms in the can when the system is being undermined by those who are in positions of authority who should know better.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic...d=12341059

(19-06-2020, 12:24 PM)nzoomed Wrote:
(18-06-2020, 09:33 PM)crab2 Wrote: the person who signed the exemption needs to be held accountable. it's not acceptable this has happened when 5 million people did their part to get this down to zero and lost jobs and sacrificed so much to achieve it.

I completley agree, the majority of NZ all had to stay home and stop work for a whole month, with the majority of people not infected, whereas someone from a flight overseas with a high probability of having Covid gets let out and not even tested!

Honestly its such a stupid thing to do, too stupid to even believe somebody would even allow it!
I cant help but think that bribery or corruption is possible, because how could you be so stupid?!
Wow, that totally blows me away!
It would seem that we as a nation got way too complacent (and cocky?) as the 'no new cases' news became commonplace. Hopefully this situation will be a well timed wake up call, especially to those who are in charge of keeping our border controls and quarantine facilities up to the standards we all assumed were being implemented, with no more serious repercussions resulting from the reported shortfalls.

From conversation with my sister in London the situation has already blown NZ's credibility in regards to our COVID status which is very disappointing considering how well we were regarded internationally just a few days ago.
(19-06-2020, 12:24 PM)nzoomed Wrote:

the "buck" stops at the top...jacinda adhearn should offer an apology to the nz population on her resignation..
(26-06-2020, 07:22 PM)insain Wrote:
(19-06-2020, 12:24 PM)nzoomed Wrote: I completley agree, the majority of NZ all had to stay home and stop work for a whole month, with the majority of people not infected, whereas someone from a flight overseas with a high probability of having Covid gets let out and not even tested!

the "buck" stops at the top...jacinda adhearn  should offer an apology to the nz population  on her resignation..
The government have provided a de facto apology in the form of David Clarke's gutlessly laying blame on Ashley Bloomfield. That's as close as we will come to a governmental apology on this issue I would think.

Keep in mind though that your suggestion of a PM resignation makes as much sense as Jeff Bezos quitting over a dispatch error made by one of his Amazon lackeys. There's just too many cogs in the system to expect the top dog to bear sole responsibility for a problem further down the process. A DCM for one of the regional NOH managers would be more appropriate, but don't expect that any time soon either.
With all these arrivals, it does seems like it's more of a case of escaping the mess that their country is currently in as opposed to some nationalistic pride of wanting to come "home". Call me cynical, but I suspect that the majority of these arrivals will be back on the plane to their homeland once (or if) this is all over.

Given the origins of the last few days of cases, how about a new short-term rule - don't bother trying to enter the country if you're coming from a country with a high number of cases, say the Top 20. There seems to be a bit of a pattern emerging with India or Pakistan arrivals at the moment.
(28-06-2020, 06:07 PM)thephoenix Wrote: With all these arrivals, it does seems like it's more of a case of escaping the mess that their country is currently in as opposed to some nationalistic pride of wanting to come "home". Call me cynical, but I suspect that the majority of these arrivals will be back on the plane to their homeland once (or if) this is all over.

Given the origins of the last few days of cases, how about a new short-term rule - don't bother trying to enter the country if you're coming from a country with a high number of cases, say the Top 20. There seems to be a bit of a pattern emerging with India or Pakistan arrivals at the moment.
There definitely appears to be a percentage that are obviously taking advantage of the situation since they have an NZ passport.
There are many ex Pat's who have left NZ and never came back I'm decades too.