Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There is no place for race based health care in this country....
They are telling us on the TV to all get vaxxed for the flu, but unless we are 65 or older you still have to pay for the shot.
Great way to encourage the uptake.

OTOH, if you are Maori (or pacifica) you can get the flu jab for free if you are 10 years younger, you only need to be 55 years old.

Some may argue that their demographic has higher risk of flu, but it still stands as racially divisive and promotes the idea that such groups are unhealthy and stigmatizes them.

I wont get started on the maori health authority, I dont see that saving any money either.
I don't see why people are whinging about this, apart from ignorance or spite. It has been known for many years that many non european peoples have less resistance to european diseases. One reason is that they are often descended from smaller remote populations, which were too small to support diseases endemic in larger european populations - those of us with european ancestors descend from populations which lived with tuberculosis, measles, malaria, influenza, smallpox, and many other ills. Maori avoided these, by living remote from europeans. When we came among them, we brought our plagues with us, and since they had no exposure to these diseases, they had little innate immunity. By providing support through Maori specific initiatives, we are enabling them to have the same sort of protection from disease that european people enjoy.
I do have other cameras!
Remember what the United Nations Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination observed nearly five years ago:-
The Committee is concerned that Maori and Pasifika have poorer health outcomes than other groups, including with respect to life expectancy, mortality and disability. It notes with concern reports that despite the existence of the Maori health strategy, entitled He Korowai Oranga, and the Healthy Families NZ initiative, Maori needs are not adequately integrated in health policies or in the administration of health services, and that Maori encounter significant barriers in accessing basic health services on an equal footing with other New Zealanders. The Committee is concerned by reports that structural biases exist in the health care system, that Maori providers are marginalized and their input into policy decisions is discounted and that a negative differential compensation for Maori providers is maintained (arts. 2 and 5).
It's targeted support, no different to other welfare based policies...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
"No place for race based health care in this country."

That is precisely what we've had until now; changing that is an excellent idea & long overdue.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
There is no place for racist health policies, racist housing policies, racist education policies, racist anything policies. And don't get me started on the gender based ones.

Did you know that a recent study revealed a fifteen per cent higher rate of negative outcomes where male surgeons operated on female patients than when those surgeons had male patients? And that that disparity disappeared when it was a female surgeon operating on anyone...
Getting McDonalds and KFC out of low income areas would improve their health and life expectancy too.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(20-07-2022, 05:59 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Getting McDonalds and KFC out of low income areas would improve their health and life expectancy too.
And the liquor shops too, all of those plus gambling make a practise of targeting poor areas.

Bloody hell 'poor areas' fgs! Once upon a time we didn't have those; what the hell is wrong with our species anyway. Dodgy Confused
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Times change. We should remember that yesterday's luxury is today's poverty. No Maccas but there was the fish and chip shop (luxury). Mesh covered meat safe off the pantry wall, torn newspaper on a nail in the loo, and the wonder of visiting someone who had a magic eye (tube) to tune their am radio.
As a late teenager in a boarding house I used to use a treadle sewing machine (courtesy of a nice neighbour ) to turn my shirt collars when these became worn and I still have the darning mushroom that I used for my socks. I didn't think that I was poor.
All the same thankfully this is a distant memory. But we should help those who need it regardless of their race.
(21-07-2022, 10:54 AM)alpha111 Wrote: Times change. We should remember that yesterday's luxury is today's poverty. No Maccas but there was the fish and chip shop (luxury). Mesh covered meat safe off the pantry wall, torn newspaper on a nail in the loo, and the wonder of visiting someone who had a magic eye (tube) to tune their am radio.
As a late teenager in a boarding house I used to use a treadle sewing machine (courtesy of a nice neighbour ) to turn my shirt collars when these became worn and I still have the darning mushroom that I used for my socks. I didn't think that I was poor.
All the same thankfully this is a distant memory.  But we should help those who need it regardless of their race.
Yes we should. And we should be addressing poverty & working towards ending it in this country, & the world.
(21-07-2022, 10:54 AM)alpha111 Wrote: Times change. We should remember that yesterday's luxury is today's poverty. No Maccas but there was the fish and chip shop (luxury). Mesh covered meat safe off the pantry wall, torn newspaper on a nail in the loo, and the wonder of visiting someone who had a magic eye (tube) to tune their am radio.
All the same thankfully this is a distant memory.  But we should help those who need it regardless of their race.
Aha - I also used to turn the collars on my shirts - only I used an electric machine! A friend who was was a wood turner used to make darning mushrooms.
I do have other cameras!
(20-07-2022, 02:07 PM)Praktica Wrote: I don't see why people are whinging about this, apart from ignorance or spite. It has been known for many years that many non european peoples have less resistance to european diseases. One reason is that they are often descended from smaller remote populations, which were too small to support diseases endemic in larger european populations - those of us with european ancestors descend from populations which lived with tuberculosis, measles, malaria, influenza, smallpox, and many other ills. Maori avoided these, by living remote from europeans. When we came among them, we brought our plagues with us, and since they had no exposure to these diseases, they had little innate immunity. By providing support through Maori specific initiatives, we are enabling them to have the same sort of protection from disease that european people enjoy.

Perhaps so to a point, but the gene pool has mixed in with europeans much more over the last 100 years.
In the early days, measles and chickenpox wiped out many maori, but as you can see today, those diseases are no where near as deadly to that demographic, since their ancestors had likely survived it, so a stronger gene pool survived through the years.

Most people are vaccinated for measles these days anyway, but less so for chickenpox.
Other issues also face the same demographic such as diabetes, and heart disease, all things that can be avoided by lifestyle choices.

Other health issues among the population are down to poor living conditions, these are all things that can be addressed by other means and is not really a health issue, but a welfare issue.

Winston peters doesnt like it how Maori "put their own people down" and I agree with him, you always hear on the TV when maori leaders go on about how disadvantaged they are, etc, etc.

(20-07-2022, 02:36 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: "No place for race based health care in this country."

That is precisely what we've had until now; changing that is an excellent idea & long overdue.
It actually goes deeper than that, we shouldnt have any race based politics or policies at all.

Nothing wrong with targeting public health campaigns towards a group, but it goes too far when you can get special benefits. Just give the flu shot to everyone free at the same age, im sure there are lots of 55s out there that have health issues regardless of race.

Now we are seeing reverse racism, and it is widely endorsed.

What point is there for having the "Maori All blacks" if you started a Pakeha all blacks team you would be quickly shut down as racist, and would be borderline hate crime, much like the springboks in South Africa in the 80s.
(21-07-2022, 11:32 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(20-07-2022, 02:07 PM)Praktica Wrote: I don't see why people are whinging about this, apart from ignorance or spite. It has been known for many years that many non european peoples have less resistance to european diseases. One reason is that they are often descended from smaller remote populations, which were too small to support diseases endemic in larger european populations - those of us with european ancestors descend from populations which lived with tuberculosis, measles, malaria, influenza, smallpox, and many other ills. Maori avoided these, by living remote from europeans. When we came among them, we brought our plagues with us, and since they had no exposure to these diseases, they had little innate immunity. By providing support through Maori specific initiatives, we are enabling them to have the same sort of protection from disease that european people enjoy.

Perhaps so to a point, but the gene pool has mixed in with europeans much more over the last 100 years.
In the early days, measles and chickenpox wiped out many maori, but as you can see today, those diseases are no where near as deadly to that demographic, since their ancestors had likely survived it, so a stronger gene pool survived through the years.

Most people are vaccinated for measles these days anyway, but less so for chickenpox.
Other issues also face the same demographic such as diabetes, and heart disease, all things that can be avoided by lifestyle choices.

Other health issues among the population are down to poor living conditions, these are all things that can be addressed by other means and is not really a health issue, but a welfare issue.

Winston peters doesnt like it how Maori "put their own people down" and I agree with him, you always hear on the TV when maori leaders go on about how disadvantaged they are, etc, etc.

(20-07-2022, 02:36 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: "No place for race based health care in this country."

It actually goes deeper than that, we shouldnt have any race based politics or policies at all.

Nothing wrong with targeting public health campaigns towards a group, but it goes too far when you can get special benefits. Just give the flu shot to everyone free at the same age, im sure there are lots of 55s out there that have health issues regardless of race.

Now we are seeing reverse racism, and it is widely endorsed.

What point is there for having the "Maori All blacks" if you started a Pakeha all blacks team you would be quickly shut down as racist, and would be borderline hate crime, much like the springboks in South Africa in the 80s.

And yet, the statistics show a very different outcome for Maori in the health system; invariably a far worse one. And that is what's being addressed - finally.
There's no such thing as 'reverse racism' but the silly term is often used by racists & those who don't want improvements for Maori.