Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Luxon wants mass imigration to fill jobs...
Thats not going to play out well, thats the whole reason we were left in such a mess after John Key.

We dont need any more immigration filling up housing.
I think we need to address the issue why jobs are not being filled, there are plenty of kiwis out there.
yep agree and jobs are not being filled because employers are probably still hopeful of getting cheaper overseas labour. Once they give up on that idea, only then will they be prepared to pay a bit more competitively to Kiwis.

Maybe the problem is kiwis are relatively speaking more skilled than the immigrants the government wants to invite so the Kiwis tend to want to be paid a bit better.
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
10% own 70% of the wealth in this country. And want it to stay that way.
(20-07-2022, 08:25 AM)king1 Wrote: yep agree and jobs are not being filled because employers are probably still hopeful of getting cheaper overseas labour.  Once they give up on that idea, only then will they be prepared to pay a bit more competitively to Kiwis.

Maybe the problem is kiwis are relatively speaking more skilled than the immigrants the government wants to invite so the Kiwis tend to want to be paid a bit better.
I also think that one issue facing NZ is that a large percentage of kiwis want jobs that are less labour intense and more of an indoors office job that pays well.
I dont know how to address this other than increasing minimum wage, which causes more problems for employers and increased costs, particularly on food, however, you would think that if there is more money in peoples pockets to spend, it should go back full circle into the economy.
Thats why we can get so many immigrants from other countries that are more than happy to do such jobs at good pay compared to where they have been living.
Most kiwis dont know how good things are here compared to other countries.
We need to make it attractive to kiwis to fill these roles.
(20-07-2022, 10:06 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: 10% own 70% of the wealth in this country. And want it to stay that way.
And the rest of us don't.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(20-07-2022, 12:54 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(20-07-2022, 08:25 AM)king1 Wrote: yep agree and jobs are not being filled because employers are probably still hopeful of getting cheaper overseas labour.  Once they give up on that idea, only then will they be prepared to pay a bit more competitively to Kiwis.

I also think that one issue facing NZ is that a large percentage of kiwis want jobs that are less labour intense and more of an indoors office job that pays well.
I dont know how to address this other than increasing minimum wage, which causes more problems for employers and increased costs, particularly on food, however, you would think that if there is more money in peoples pockets to spend, it should go back full circle into the economy.
Thats why we can get so many immigrants from other countries that are more than happy to do such jobs at good pay compared to where they have been living.
Mostly agree, other than it is the employers that need to make it more attractive to kiwis to fill these roles.

Simply put, in my humble
opinion, we need to remove all hope for employers of ever using an immigrant labour force, other than for exceptional circumstances.  Then the labour market will correct, employers will offer more pay/incentives to attract new zealanders into these roles.

A perfect solution, other than that minor issue of low unemployment. 
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(20-07-2022, 02:43 PM)king1 Wrote:
(20-07-2022, 12:54 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: I also think that one issue facing NZ is that a large percentage of kiwis want jobs that are less labour intense and more of an indoors office job that pays well.
Mostly agree, other than it is the employers that need to make it more attractive to kiwis to fill these roles.

Simply put, in my humble
opinion, we need to remove all hope for employers of ever using an immigrant labour force, other than for exceptional circumstances.  Then the labour market will correct, employers will offer more pay/incentives to attract new zealanders into these roles.

A perfect solution, other than that minor issue of low unemployment. 
Yes I think thats what is needed.
I think Act is the only party in govt with an immigration policy close to that.
I know labour pretty much shut down all immigration over covid.
I need to look into it more regarding Act, but I believe they only want to allow high skilled workers to enter NZ in areas where we are short of such skills, not just anyone who is going to work as a taxi driver or work in an orchard.
Might need to address students with loans too and make sure they cant leave NZ until they are paid off.
The reason why jobs are not being filled is because most (not all) of the wankers are too lazy and are getting paid too much being on the benefit so why work?
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
(21-07-2022, 02:34 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: The reason why jobs are not being filled is because most (not all) of the wankers are too lazy and are getting paid too much being on the benefit so why work?
That just isn't true. With rents so high now, many people are struggling to survive on a benefit - the levels of which have yet to recover from Ruth Richardson's cuts to them during the Jenny Shipley govt in the 'mother of all budgets.'

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/4642...-inflation

The second of two benefit increases will be introduced on Friday, which are meant to leave some households better off by up to $55 a week
But the Fairer Future collaboration said some of the country's poorest families would still face budget shortfalls of up to $300 a week.
Spokesman Max Harris said families were under far more financial strain than in 2019, when the government's Welfare Expert Advisory Group recommended lifting benefits.
"Prices have gone up, petrol has gone up, food has gone up, rents have gone up," he said.
"When you have such a significant shortfall you're putting people into impossible positions, to make choices like to pay rent versus putting food on the table, or to pay rent versus going into significant debt."

"Even people who are working are finding it hard, so we can only imagine what it's like for people who are having to survive on a benefit. It's extremely unjust and unfair.

"The much-vaunted income support increases will be too little, too late for most people."
Disability Advisory Trust volunteer chief executive Nick Stoneman said a weekly $3.93 increase in the Disability Allowance from 1 April was a "joke".
"It's not even going to cover the price of a bottle of milk," he said.
"By the time I've paid my rent, I've got very little money for food. I guess I'm very lucky in that I'm able to cope, but it's really, really hard to do."

The collaboration wants the government to increase core benefit levels to standard liveable incomes and raise the minimum wage to the living wage."

in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)