Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christopher Luxon mucks up
Not the best look but  hardly crime of the century - & more or less what's expected from our politicians these days.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/...5ZicG8q5L4

"National's Christopher Luxon admits social media posts shared last week suggesting he was in New Zealand when he was actually holidaying in Hawaii were a "mistake" and the videos should have been captioned differently.
Luxon on Tuesday morning confirmed that while Parliament was in recess last week he jetted off to the United States for a holiday with his family
While it's not unusual for MPs to take a winter holiday during the three-week-long July recess break, posts shared on Luxon's social media accounts gave the impression he was still in New Zealand. 
That includes a video of Luxon saying, "today, I'm in Te Puke the heart of Kiwifruit country", and a picture of him with University of Auckland vice-chancellor Dawn Freshwater. In reality, those visits had occurred the week prior. 

While Luxon initially denied the posts were misleading, on Tuesday afternoon he told reporters they should have been captioned differently "to make clear it was in recent days, not on the day". He said he didn't personally make the posts, but took responsibility for it.

"We made a mistake and we own up to it, we front it," he said. "We should have captioned the post differently. That's what we should have done."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Bit of an own goal i'd say...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
"....as I tend to do...". Sarcastic and patronising. In other words, if you didn't know this is how I behave you should take more notice next time because I am more important than you.
(26-07-2022, 07:04 PM)Olive Wrote: "....as I tend to do...".  Sarcastic and patronising.  In other words, if you didn't know this is how I behave you should take more notice next time because I am more important than you.
Indeed 'I'm far more important than you mere peasants, so get used to it!' Big Grin Big Grin Rolleyes
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
And I'm more important than any of you so just pull your heads in and get over it ok  Big Grin
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
Oh you are soooo masterful...

We forget these idiot politicians have staff to manage their social media. Paid staff. Some poor dolt who is getting it in the neck from the boss right now. But the point is, anything put out by a politician should be suspect automatically, because it will have been shaped very deliberately and accordingly is advertising, not news. Expecting it to be honest, sincere, and genuine is a bit optimistic really.
RNZ 7.48 am "NZers are doing it incredibly tough" Did Luxon mean most Kiwis can't afford to take their families to Hawaii for a holiday? He wouldn't have a clue. If we saw him helping out at foodbanks he might have a different awareness instead of making glib statements. Isn't it strange that he looks like a clone of the leader of the Australian Liberal party Peter Dutton? Perhaps they came off the same production line.
(27-07-2022, 08:01 AM)alpha111 Wrote: RNZ 7.48 am "NZers are doing it incredibly tough" Did Luxon mean most Kiwis can't afford to take their families to Hawaii for a holiday? He wouldn't have a clue. If we saw him helping out at foodbanks he might have a different awareness instead of making glib statements.  Isn't it strange that he looks like a clone of the leader of the Australian Liberal party Peter Dutton? Perhaps they came off the same production line.
I'm not so sure though - if he has previously helped at food banks on a regular basis prior to entering politics, then that would be one thing. But if his help came only after entering politics, then that puts a different perspective on it, because of the strong possibility that it was done to present himself in a good light.

It's an interesting idea, though & I think it might not be a bad thing if every politician was obliged to  work at a food bank for an entire day, a couple of times a month. That way, they'd remain in touch with the reality for those who are worst off, unlike themselves.
No and I do mean NO politician is in touch with reality, not even this present lot. They get into Parliament and sit on their bums and just abuse each other, watch Parliament TV if you don't believe me.
(27-07-2022, 01:07 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: No and I do mean NO politician is in touch with reality, not even this present lot. They get into Parliament and sit on their bums and just abuse each other, watch Parliament TV if you don't believe me.
Yep, I think there must be something in the water supplied to parliament because once they get in there, they tend to lose touch with reality.
However - I'm sure we could come up with some ways to prevent that. Rolleyes

Working at the food bank, cleaning public toilets, having to live for 3-6 months every year (over winter) on the same amount as the lowest wage/benefit with no other income, should keep that lot in touch with the reality for many of their voters.... Big Grin Rolleyes

Which reminded me of this:
“You develop an instant global consciousness, a people orientation, an intense dissatisfaction with the state of the world, & a compulsion to do something about it.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty.
You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck, & drag him a quarter of a million miles out & say:
“Look at that, you son of a bitch.”
Edgar Mitchell (1930-2016) Apollo 13 astronaut
(27-07-2022, 01:07 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: No and I do mean NO politician is in touch with reality, not even this present lot. They get into Parliament and sit on their bums and just abuse each other, watch Parliament TV if you don't believe me.
I'll see you and raise you Chloe..
(27-07-2022, 04:09 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
I'll see you and raise you Chloe..
If Chloe ever had a raise it wouldnt be by a guy  Big Grin
No, and maybe that is why she is such an effective MP?
My word for Chloe would certainly not be "Effective"  Tongue
(28-07-2022, 09:47 AM)Oldfellah Wrote: My word for Chloe would certainly not be "Effective"  Tongue
Put her in a debate against most current politicians and she certainly proves herself effective.
I don't think I've seen her debate with anyone but I'd imagine she's likely to be good value.

I also quite enjoyed watching Moana interview Christopher Luxon a few weeks ago; she's quite good at not letting politicians slither out of things. Smile
Going back to the thread topic check out this video. Grant Robertson not holding back on Luxon https://twitter.com/i/status/1552205091221884929
(27-07-2022, 02:29 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
Yep, I think there must be something in the water supplied to parliament because once they get in there, they tend to lose touch with reality.

Working at the food bank, cleaning public toilets, having to live for 3-6 months every year (over winter) on the same amount as the lowest wage/benefit with no other income, should keep that lot in touch with the reality for many of their voters.... Big Grin Rolleyes

“You develop an instant global consciousness, a people orientation, an intense dissatisfaction with the state of the world, & a compulsion to do something about it.
You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck, & drag him a quarter of a million miles out & say:
If you are going to quote stuff please at least get it right.  Edgar Mitchell was NOT on the crew of Apollo 13.
(29-07-2022, 08:18 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(27-07-2022, 02:29 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Yep, I think there must be something in the water supplied to parliament because once they get in there, they tend to lose touch with reality.

If you are going to quote stuff please at least get it right.  Edgar Mitchell was NOT on the crew of Apollo 13.
Edgar Mitchell was on Apollo 14, not 13...

that wasn't too hard now was it...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(29-07-2022, 08:38 AM)king1 Wrote:
(29-07-2022, 08:18 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: If you are going to quote stuff please at least get it right.  Edgar Mitchell was NOT on the crew of Apollo 13.
Edgar Mitchell was on Apollo 14, not 13...

that wasn't too hard now was it...
No not hard - yet poster failed miserably.