Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are you spending your Cost of Living Payment on?
Necessities or Niceties?
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Bitcoins.
I got cold, so took the home heating payment. Instead apparently...it appears to be a little backwards there....
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
Well that is what you get when the overpaid act on behalf of the other kind.
(02-08-2022, 07:30 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Well that is what you get when the overpaid act on behalf of the other kind.
You're not wrong - I sometimes wonder what the effect might be, if a few good, non overpaid women got a foothold  in the chambers of power & were able to change a few things... Rolleyes Rolleyes
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(02-08-2022, 02:53 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(02-08-2022, 07:30 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Well that is what you get when the overpaid act on behalf of the other kind.
You're not wrong - I sometimes wonder what the effect might be, if a few good, non overpaid women got a foothold  in the chambers of power & were able to change a few things... Rolleyes Rolleyes
Yummy scones?  Big Grin  Angel

Hunni puts latest batch back in tin and stomps out of the room in sheer disgust...
(02-08-2022, 05:45 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Hunni puts latest batch back in tin and stomps out of the room in sheer disgust...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO   :sadsmile:

(02-08-2022, 03:31 PM)king1 Wrote:
(02-08-2022, 02:53 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: You're not wrong - I sometimes wonder what the effect might be, if a few good, non overpaid women got a foothold  in the chambers of power & were able to change a few things... Rolleyes Rolleyes
Yummy scones?  Big Grin  Angel
NOT if I was making them - I lost my scone-making ability several decades ago.

Although...I'm fairly sure I could whip up a nice batch of soup. Hemlock, obviously for some of those idiots in power over the last few decades who've inflicted this particular present on us. Rolleyes Rolleyes Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I didn't get it  Confused but I do get the Winter Energy Payment ... but but but ... that's still below the $70,000 baseline that the government is using for people to receive it, I get less than $70,000 so where is mine?
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
Oh gee -the ever caring Paula Bennett is concerned that the cost of living payment isn't really enough - how nice of her to mention the peasants. But then, she's always been so very, very deeply concerned with the plight of beneficiaries hasn't she.

Or something.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/...-says.html

"Former Deputy Prime Minister Paula Bennett says Kiwis on benefits should be receiving the cost of living payment.

Kiwis started receiving the payment of $116.67 - the first of three - on Monday with the second and third portions coming on the first business days of September and October.

It works out at $350 and will go to Kiwis who earn $70,000 or less, aren't entitled to the Winter Energy Payment and meet several other criteria - roughly 2.1 million New Zealanders.

"I think they need it more than anyone. I mean we are all feeling the pinch. It doesn't matter what you are earning, you are feeling it when you go to fill up the car and when you go to buy your groceries," she told AM.

"Then you think about other people on such limited incomes who will be struggling so much more than you are and quite frankly my personal opinion is if anyone kind of needs a temporary payment at the moment with those exuberant costs it's those on the benefit."

She retired from Parliament in May 2020, but during her tenure had some controversial policies regarding beneficiaries.

She oversaw a crackdown on welfare, including requirements for single mothers to return to work or face sanctions, and sanctions for those who don't meet drug and alcohol work test requirements.

The National-led Government announced a major package of welfare reforms in 2010 aimed at solo parents, who it said should go back to work.

Bennett said that for some beneficiaries "the dream is over".
It has been clearly stated that people who get the winter energy payment are not eligible for the cost of living payment.
(03-08-2022, 03:53 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Oh gee -the ever caring Paula Bennett is concerned that the cost of living payment isn't really enough - how nice of her to mention the peasants. But then, she's always been so very, very deeply concerned with the plight of beneficiaries hasn't she.

Or something.

"Former Deputy Prime Minister Paula Bennett says Kiwis on benefits should be receiving the cost of living payment.

Kiwis started receiving the payment of $116.67 - the first of three - on Monday with the second and third portions coming on the first business days of September and October.

It works out at $350 and will go to Kiwis who earn $70,000 or less, aren't entitled to the Winter Energy Payment and meet several other criteria - roughly 2.1 million New Zealanders.

"I think they need it more than anyone. I mean we are all feeling the pinch. It doesn't matter what you are earning, you are feeling it when you go to fill up the car and when you go to buy your groceries," she told AM.

"Then you think about other people on such limited incomes who will be struggling so much more than you are and quite frankly my personal opinion is if anyone kind of needs a temporary payment at the moment with those exuberant costs it's those on the benefit."

She retired from Parliament in May 2020, but during her tenure had some controversial policies regarding beneficiaries.

She oversaw a crackdown on welfare, including requirements for single mothers to return to work or face sanctions, and sanctions for those who don't meet drug and alcohol work test requirements.

The National-led Government announced a major package of welfare reforms in 2010 aimed at solo parents, who it said should go back to work.

That is why the nickname of Paula Benefit  Tongue
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
(03-08-2022, 04:49 PM)Oldfellah Wrote:
(03-08-2022, 03:53 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Oh gee -the ever caring Paula Bennett is concerned that the cost of living payment isn't really enough - how nice of her to mention the peasants. But then, she's always been so very, very deeply concerned with the plight of beneficiaries hasn't she.

Or something.

That is why the nickname of Paula Benefit  Tongue
Yes indeed - & of course, those two other nicknames for Jenny Shipley & Ruth Richardson which weren't quite so nice. Rolleyes
The CHCH City mission has been pleasantly surprised at the number of people who've donated their cost of living payment to them, well done those people.

https://www.odt.co.nz/star-news/star-chr...ty-mission

"The payment is targeted at most people with a salary less than $70,000.

Christchurch City Mission communications adviser Ewan Sargent said five people donated their payments immediately after receiving them on Monday, and more donations had come through since the charity posted about it on Facebook.

Christchurch City Mission
on Wednesday
Thank you so much all those people who have donated their cost-of-living payments to us. We were humbled and amazed when these donations started coming in. Many people told us they didn’t need the money for themselves and had decided a better use would be helping us to look after others who are doing it hard – just like the 71-year-old we told you about in our last post. Kindness like this is what makes a community great. Thank you again.

Christchurch City Mission fed over 4000 people in July, with almost a third of those people being children, and Sargent said their housing and social services also remained busy.

"We will be supporting a lot of people in many different ways this winter."
Paula is such a comedian. She knows perfectly well if the Nats get in, all those helping measures will go out the door at the same time as tax cuts for the top lot come in.

Chris Bishop more or less confirmed it this morning on The Nation.
(06-08-2022, 11:25 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Paula is such a comedian. She knows perfectly well if the Nats get in, all those helping measures will go out the door at the same time as tax cuts for the top lot come in.

Chris Bishop more or less confirmed it this morning on The Nation.
She's one of those politicians who really annoys me; I didn't like her behaviour towards those two women who complained that she'd taken the  money which was helping beneficiaries study (training allowance) so that they could eventually find work; I thought at the time it was a mean spirited, small minded & disgraceful way for anyone in her position to behave.

And I quite like Give us a clue but it would be far better with another host - any other host would do, just not a politician or ex politician.

The problem is that many of those on the right aren't at all concerned with the plight of those worse off, as long as they're OK.