Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This "woke" culture needs to go away!
WTF is going on?
We now have drag queens reading childrens stories to kids at the library and this is now something considered "normal"
Its now considered hate speech to publicly say that guys cant be lesbians, there is currently a person in Norway fighting this in court.
You can no longer say that women have periods you have to say "people" have periods.
This is so messed up its not funny.
Now we have eskimo pies rebranded as "polar" pies and pascall eskimos are now called "explorers"
You can no longer sell golliwogs on trademe, but noddy books are still allowed.
IIRC, there was a time back in the 80s when we saw this happen when they tried to remove noddy books off the shelf.
You do realise the word 'woke' rises from Black American culture, right?
Times are a changing...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
"Woke" is the latest culture war insult - it's used by those who see nothing wrong with beating women, kicking the poor and calling blacks uppity niggras.
I do have other cameras!
(09-08-2022, 11:58 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: WTF is going on?
We now have drag queens reading childrens stories to kids at the library and this is now something considered "normal"
Its now considered hate speech to publicly say that guys cant be lesbians, there is currently a person in Norway fighting this in court.
You can no longer say that women have periods you have to say "people" have periods.
Now we have eskimo pies rebranded as "polar" pies and pascall eskimos are now called "explorers"
IIRC, there was a time back in the 80s when we saw this happen when they tried to remove noddy books off the shelf.
No doubt every child who is read a book by a drag queen will now grow up to themselves become a drag queen. Rolleyes Rolleyes

The term Eskimo is incorrect & considered derogatory by those it was applied to. That's just a matter of fixing a past mistake which most people have no problem with - not sure why you do apparently have one.

And surely even you can comprehend why golliwogs are in extremely bad taste? Dodgy

And as to the rest of your complaints, time will tell I suspect.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
yum, eskimo pies bring back one or two fond memories...

I preferred Ice Cream Sandwiches. Those pink wafers...
(09-08-2022, 02:54 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(09-08-2022, 11:58 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: WTF is going on?

The term Eskimo is incorrect & considered derogatory by those it was applied to. That's just a matter of fixing a past mistake which most people have no problem with - not sure why you do apparently have one.
From wikipedia:

A variety of theories have been postulated for the etymological origin of the word Eskimo.[20][21][22][23][24][2] According to Smithsonian linguist Ives Goddard, etymologically the word derives from the Innu-aimun (Montagnais) word ayas̆kimew, meaning "a person who laces a snowshoe", and is related to husky (a breed of dog).[25][26][27] The word assime·w means "she laces a snowshoe" in Innu, and Innu language speakers refer to the neighbouring Mi'kmaq people using words that sound like eskimo.[28][29]
In 1978, José Mailhot, a Quebec anthropologist who speaks Innu-aimun (Montagnais), published a paper suggesting that Eskimo meant "people who speak a different language".[30][31] French traders who encountered the Innu (Montagnais) in the eastern areas adopted their word for the more western peoples and spelled it as Esquimau or Esquimaux in a transliteration.[32]
Some people consider Eskimo offensive, because it is popularly perceived to mean[31][33][34] "eaters of raw meat" in Algonquian languages common to people along the Atlantic coast.[26][35][36] An unnamed Cree speaker suggested the original word that became corrupted to Eskimo might have been askamiciw (meaning "he eats it raw"); the Inuit are referred to in some Cree texts as askipiw (meaning "eats something raw").[35][36][37][38][3][39] Regardless, the term still carries a derogatory connotation for many Inuit and Yupik.[26][35][40][41]
One of the first printed uses of the French word Esquimaux comes from Samuel Hearne's A Journey from Prince of Wales's Fort in Hudson's Bay to the Northern Ocean in the Years 1769, 1770, 1771, 1772 first published in 1795.[42]

So apparently "some" people find it offensive because its somehow perceived to mean "eat raw meat"
WTF? How is that offensive even if that was the translation? Ive eaten raw meat(fish) before, and likely is a common diet of theirs, they do indeed eat raw fish and find ways to preserve it over the winter months.
Dont know that the big deal is.
Some people are just choosing for things to be offended by. I know many who dont like being called pakeha also, but you can get away with that here.
Yeah? Try naming an ice cream treat 'pakeha; and see what happens.

You silly, silly boy.
There is an interesting write up on the use of the term 'Eskimo' here by a Greenlandic Inuit Eskimo...
http://theveganeskimo.com/index.php/blog...atory-term

What about Spacemen ? We do have spacewomen now....but we didn't eat those. Will spacepeople get offended if I buy a packet of Spacemen ?
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(09-08-2022, 09:43 PM)Zurdo Wrote: What about Spacemen ? We do have spacewomen now....but we didn't eat those. Will spacepeople get offended if I buy a packet of Spacemen ?
were they the ones that looked like cigarettes?

Whoa....really ? That brings in another whole pile of shit - sticking long hard white things with red tips in our mouths and sucking them ! I don't think the kids eating eskimos and spacemen had any problems, it's people sitting on their arse all day thinking up problems that don't exist that need sorting out.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
I loved those candy ciggies. I had smoking down to a fine art long before I got into the real ones. As for biting the heads off, I give you - Jelly Babies!
(09-08-2022, 09:48 PM)king1 Wrote:
(09-08-2022, 09:43 PM)Zurdo Wrote: What about Spacemen ? We do have spacewomen now....but we didn't eat those. Will spacepeople get offended if I buy a packet of Spacemen ?
were they the ones that looked like cigarettes?
Yup, those are the ones!
I must say we used to think they were cool sticking them in our mouths pretending to smoke, but I never took up smoking!
The PC brigade forced them to get rid of the "red" tip. Ironically I never thought the red tip had anything to do with smoking them!

(09-08-2022, 08:44 PM)king1 Wrote: There is an interesting write up on the use of the term 'Eskimo' here by a Greenlandic Inuit Eskimo...
Very well written article, just a shame that the likes of TipTop didnt do more research into the issue, but rather bend over to the PC brigade. They could have made a public statement in similar writing to this article as to why they should keep Eskimo Pies.
So they were "woke", and now they're "PC". Do you have any more lame rightwing tropes to peddle?
I do have other cameras!
(11-08-2022, 12:06 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(09-08-2022, 09:48 PM)king1 Wrote: were they the ones that looked like cigarettes?
Yup, those are the ones!
I must say we used to think they were cool sticking them in our mouths pretending to smoke, but I never took up smoking!
The PC brigade forced them to get rid of the "red" tip. Ironically I never thought the red tip had anything to do with smoking them!
I recall reading on the manufacturers site that they decided to remove the red end for their own family values reasons...  i'll see if i can find it.

https://www.carousel.co.nz/Products/Spaceman.aspx

(11-08-2022, 12:06 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(09-08-2022, 09:48 PM)king1 Wrote: were they the ones that looked like cigarettes?
Yup, those are the ones!

(09-08-2022, 08:44 PM)king1 Wrote: There is an interesting write up on the use of the term 'Eskimo' here by a Greenlandic Inuit Eskimo...
Very well written article, just a shame that the likes of TipTop didnt do more research into the issue, but rather bend over to the PC brigade. They could have made a public statement in similar writing to this article as to why they should keep Eskimo Pies.

Given that smoking kills people, & quite painfully at that, any effort to help prevent others from starting is not a bad thing. You could always take  your complaints about it to the tobacco industry, but since they deliberately withheld information about the harmfulness of their product for some years in order to continue making profits by allowing more people to become addicted, you might not get any reply, since they appear to lack any ethics.

Apparently anything at all, however small can now be blamed on 'PC' or the "woke brigade' by those who clearly don't mind hurting or insulting others. Rolleyes Rolleyes Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(11-08-2022, 03:33 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(11-08-2022, 12:06 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Yup, those are the ones!

Given that smoking kills people, & quite painfully at that, any effort to help prevent others from starting is not a bad thing. You could always take  your complaints about it to the tobacco industry, but since they deliberately withheld information about the harmfulness of their product for some years in order to continue making profits by allowing more people to become addicted, you might not get any reply, since they appear to lack any ethics.

Apparently anything at all, however small can now be blamed on 'PC' or the "woke brigade' by those who clearly don't mind hurting or insulting others. Rolleyes Rolleyes Big Grin
Well the govt was slow to the party when it came to vaping.
Who remembers all those catchy adverts for vapes with the cool music?
Now all the young ones are vaping this shit, they should have only been permitted as an alternative to cigarettes and took measures to prevent marketing to this new audience.
They are actually more potent than cigarettes, although a safer alternative, but we dont need a new generation hooked on this stuff, they still have health implications and now we have kids on the stuff.
Hey... howabout you target the right bastards who flog this stuff off to kids, deliberately and with no thought to the health of their buyers?

Why is it the right wing nutters love to blame the government when capitalism goes wrong, instead of taking a good hard look at the real problem.

Human greed.