Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We need to turn to eating insects to save the planet....
This video is quite a good laugh and sums up what ive been feeling for some time!

Fox News, the mouthpiece of the ignorant and biggoted. You need to be more discerning in regard to the web content you view or you'll rot your brain. Or is it too late already?
(18-08-2022, 10:12 AM)harm_less Wrote: Fox News, the mouthpiece of the ignorant and biggoted. You need to be more discerning in regard to the web content you view or you'll rot your brain. Or is it too late already?

Seriously is Fox News really that bad?
Anyway, its just a comedian on this clip, they do make a good point though and its not just Fox im hearing this about insects.
Even in our media there has been lots of coverage on this topic.
(18-08-2022, 10:48 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(18-08-2022, 10:12 AM)harm_less Wrote: Fox News, the mouthpiece of the ignorant and biggoted. You need to be more discerning in regard to the web content you view or you'll rot your brain. Or is it too late already?

Seriously is Fox News really that bad?
Anyway, its just a comedian on this clip, they do make a good point though and its not just Fox im hearing this about insects.
Even in our media there has been lots of coverage on this topic.
If you lack the knowledge and judgement to evaluate content such as this media infotainment then nothing I'm going to say will change that. Personally I cringe at the level of intellect that American humour is typically tailored towards.
Hey if you want to eat bugs, go for it, apparently it's quite common in some countries... I'll stick with a decent steak
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Did you know Fox News is registered as an entertainment outlet?

Says it all really.

Btw, you guys can have my helping of insect protein. No, really, help yourselves. My pleasure...
(18-08-2022, 12:35 PM)king1 Wrote: Hey if you want to eat bugs, go for it, apparently it's quite common in some countries... I'll stick with a decent steak

I agree, but unfortunately there is a global anti-farming narrative which is aimed towards combating climate change.
Meat is only going to be more difficult and expensive to get the way things are going.
I watched about the first 45 seconds of this utter shit and couldnt watch anymore , if this is what Fox News/Entertainment is all about they may as well get Trump back because he is the biggest Predatory bug that belongs to a group of insects in the Order Hemiptera. They use piercing-sucking mouthparts to kill and eat their prey. And that is Trump all over.  Big Grin
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
I watched the beginning. Clearly meant to be treated as humour - entertainment. Had a look at who fox News actually is (via Media Bias Factcheck). Started by Rupert Murdoch (for many that's "enough said!") and owned by Fox Entertainment Group who is part of 21st Century Fox. Related to Fox Business Network and National Geographic Channel. Considered to be "strongly Right-Biased due to editorial positions and story selection that favors the right. We also rate them Mixed factually and borderline Questionable based on poor sourcing and the spreading of conspiracy theories."

The concept of eating bugs is being pushed in some quarters. I don't know (or really care) how the economics of producing enough to feed people goes. I'm sticking to meat, and hope they don't start eyeing up our native wetas.
(19-08-2022, 02:12 PM)SueDonim Wrote: I watched the beginning. Clearly meant to be treated as humour - entertainment. Had a look at who fox News actually is (via Media Bias Factcheck). Started by Rupert Murdoch (for many that's "enough said!") and owned by Fox Entertainment Group who is part of 21st Century Fox. Related to Fox Business Network and National Geographic Channel. Considered to be "strongly Right-Biased due to editorial positions and story selection that favors the right. We also rate them Mixed factually and borderline Questionable based on poor sourcing and the spreading of conspiracy theories."

The concept of eating bugs is being pushed in some quarters. I don't know (or really care) how the economics of producing enough to feed people goes. I'm sticking to meat, and hope they don't start eyeing up our native wetas.
But the bonus might be that we can save our giant weta by farming them! Tongue
Loads of people around the world eat various insects; I've no intention of joining them.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Isn't the answer to eat the rich?
I do have other cameras!
(20-08-2022, 03:15 PM)Praktica Wrote: Isn't the answer to eat the rich?
But then - who knows what they may have been eating. Big Grin
And we wouldn't want to catch the dire disease of greed...
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(20-08-2022, 02:17 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Loads of people around the world eat various insects; I've no intention of joining them.
Good, because its usually only third world countries where they are popular where people are desperate to eat what they can.
Now they are trying to "normalise" it here and celebrities endorsing it by eating spiders, etc.
(22-08-2022, 01:04 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(20-08-2022, 02:17 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Loads of people around the world eat various insects; I've no intention of joining them.
Good, because its usually only third world countries where they are popular where people are desperate to eat what they can.
Now they are trying to "normalise" it here and celebrities endorsing it by eating spiders, etc.
Don't know why you're so triggered by a new food fad. There's a big difference between normalising and mandating so nobody's forcing you to eat anything.

Personally I'd be happier to eat insect sourced protein than laboratory grown meats. And insects after all are only crustaceans so not too far removed from prawns, crayfish or crabs which are all considered delicacies.
(22-08-2022, 01:04 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
No one has to eat  insects unless they want to, at this stage. Rolleyes

Although if we don't fix the mess we've made of our planet to the extent we can't grow enough food, then there might one day be no other alternative.
(22-08-2022, 01:16 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(22-08-2022, 01:04 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Good, because its usually only third world countries where they are popular where people are desperate to eat what they can.
Don't know why you're so triggered by a new food fad. There's a big difference between normalising and mandating so nobody's forcing you to eat anything.

Personally I'd be happier to eat insect sourced protein than laboratory grown meats. And insects after all are only crustaceans so not too far removed from prawns, crayfish or crabs which are all considered delicacies.
Perhaps so but there are health concerns around them with chitin that they contain.
Im not saying they will be mandated, but we will be living in a world where farming is becoming seriously bashed, and this new generation growing up will be indoctrinated in the schools on how damaging it is to the environment to eat meat.
Insects will simply become an attractive option simply for being affordable for all except the wealthy.

(22-08-2022, 03:03 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(22-08-2022, 01:04 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Good, because its usually only third world countries where they are popular where people are desperate to eat what they can.
No one has to eat  insects unless they want to, at this stage. Rolleyes

Although if we don't fix the mess we've made of our planet to the extent we can't grow enough food, then there might one day be no other alternative.
We are already screwed if you believe all the alarmist propaganda.
We need to all stop driving our petrol cars yesterday. That aint going to happen and China is still burning more and more coal.
Unless we all get EVs overnight, nothing is going to change.
And whats all this crap about sea level rises? They claim its only happening at 3mm per year. How do you even measure that? 100 years at that rate is only 300mm, yet they are blaming any weather events with coastal erosion as climate change events when you see waves bashing coastal properties.
Its all garbage, the sea has not even risen any significant amount over the last 100 years. All this crap about it rising 2-3M in 100 years is total garbage.

No govt has taken any action, its all talk, they just want to tax farmers for farts and this kinda shit, None of that is going to "fix" the planet, especially if China keeps burning coal, and our emissions are only like .1% of the global CO2 emissions anyway.
They were telling us about how bad plastic was at school, and that was more than 30 years ago! Nothing has changed until recently and we still have tons of single use plastic.
(24-08-2022, 10:22 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(22-08-2022, 03:03 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: No one has to eat  insects unless they want to, at this stage. Rolleyes

And whats all this crap about sea level rises? They claim its only happening at 3mm per year. How do you even measure that? 100 years at that rate is only 300mm, yet they are blaming any weather events with coastal erosion as climate change events when you see waves bashing coastal properties.
Its all garbage, the sea has not even risen any significant amount over the last 100 years. All this crap about it rising 2-3M in 100 years is total garbage.
I think you might be living in a bubble if you believe that - there are very real consequences of sea level rise that are happening right now...

Quote:For more than 13 years, Ursula Rakova has been battling to relocate her people from the Carteret Islands in Papua New Guinea, which are slowly being swamped by the sea.

They don't want to give up the way of life of generations before them, but they have no choice.
https://www.rnz.co.nz/programmes/the-det...isn-t-easy

Quote:Explosive new data shows the sea level is rising twice as fast as previously thought in some parts of Aotearoa, massively reducing the amount of time authorities have to respond.
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/4662...ew-zealand
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
The reason that farmers are taken to task is due to some still using practices which cause pollution; most have more sense these days.
(24-08-2022, 10:43 AM)king1 Wrote:
(24-08-2022, 10:22 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: And whats all this crap about sea level rises? They claim its only happening at 3mm per year. How do you even measure that? 100 years at that rate is only 300mm, yet they are blaming any weather events with coastal erosion as climate change events when you see waves bashing coastal properties.
I think you might be living in a bubble if you believe that - there are very real consequences of sea level rise that are happening right now...

Quote:For more than 13 years, Ursula Rakova has been battling to relocate her people from the Carteret Islands in Papua New Guinea, which are slowly being swamped by the sea.

They don't want to give up the way of life of generations before them, but they have no choice.
https://www.rnz.co.nz/programmes/the-det...isn-t-easy

Quote:Explosive new data shows the sea level is rising twice as fast as previously thought in some parts of Aotearoa, massively reducing the amount of time authorities have to respond.
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/4662...ew-zealand
Only "risen" 3 inches in the last 25 years, that would be about right at 3mm a year, but I doubt anyone would notice any impact if that data is even accurate. 3 inches is not enough to cause flooding on coastal areas.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/envir...vel-rise-1