Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fonterra investing in Synthetic milk
In Economics 101 in Durban Uni, South Africa they told us that about 10% of the population should be involved in farming to feed the rest, who could be, hairdressers, burger flippers or whatever like they say in Hitchhikers Guide.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(22-02-2023, 09:18 PM)zqwerty Wrote: In Economics 101 in Durban Uni, South Africa they told us that about 10% of the population should be involved in farming to feed the rest, who could be, hairdressers, burger flippers or whatever like they say in Hitchhikers Guide.

Telephone sanitisers wasn't it?  no doubt, a sterling profession in it's day ...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(22-02-2023, 05:21 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(22-02-2023, 03:31 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Synthetic milk is a huge conflict of interest.
None of that money will go the the farmers.
It would put them out of pocket.
I cant even believe people would be deluded enough to use the stuff.
The way things are going we wont even be able to get real milk at this rate and then next thing will be synthetic meat or lab grown meat.
Kinda sounds like the movie 1984 where they were all eating synthetic food.
George Orwell was correct, thats where this world is heading if we dont put this to a stop.
If you'd bothered to watch the video I posted you would be aware that precision fermentation is nothing new. It has been used to make insulin for decades and also the cultures used to make most cheeses so you've probably already been consuming products containing PF ingredients for years.

Another aspect is that a large proportion of milk is used for drug and industrial manufacturing as well as in highly processed food manufacture so those dairy components are so heavily modified, whether they are from cows or factories is hardly relevant.

How is any of this supposed to help farmers?
Probably using genetic engineered organisms to make the stuff in much the same way as insulin.
(22-02-2023, 11:50 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(22-02-2023, 05:21 PM)harm_less Wrote: If you'd bothered to watch the video I posted you would be aware that precision fermentation is nothing new. It has been used to make insulin for decades and also the cultures used to make most cheeses so you've probably already been consuming products containing PF ingredients for years.

Another aspect is that a large proportion of milk is used for drug and industrial manufacturing as well as in highly processed food manufacture so those dairy components are so heavily modified, whether they are from cows or factories is hardly relevant.

How is any of this supposed to help farmers?
Probably using genetic engineered organisms to make the stuff in much the same way as insulin.
You seem to be missing the point. Synthetic manufacturing of proteins will be a phase change in what is involved in how we produce food and associated proteins. The role of farming as we know it now will reduce drastically, as will the amount of land and energy needed to do so.

The knowledge of how our future is likely to change on this front gives those involved the opportunity to upskill to best advantage from the new production methods. In the same way that horse breeders, stable keepers and blacksmiths were made superfluous to a large degree with the introduction of the internal combustion engine so too will the need for livestock farmers reduce. They would do well to put their agricultural and horticultural skills, and land, to use in growing alternative products.
The point is that Fonterra's sole reason for being is to help farmers by selling the dairy products they produce.

Artificial food might be a reality for the future but it's not Fonterra's job to be investigating it. Our primary sources of natural food are under threat and we should be doing our best to support production of good, healthy, natural food. The analogy of the horse-drawn days giving way to the ICE is interesting. Right on one level, but now we are re-thinking the ICE. The freedoms it gave us to enrich our lives are now being criticised as wasteful. Let's not make similar mistakes with food. The techs can investigate food alternatives as they will continue doing, but here in NZ our culture and population level allows us to enjoy proper food and may that continue.
as long as I can still buy a decent steak i'll be happy
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(23-02-2023, 09:24 AM)king1 Wrote: as long as I can still buy a decent steak i'll be happy

The anti-farmer brigade would have that gone. They think we should be eating fake meat but no way. Meat should be meat!

I've just got fillet out for dinner. I prefer Scotch fillet, but when an ex-export special has whole eye fillet cheaper than SF I don't mind chopping it up for the freezer.
(23-02-2023, 09:24 AM)king1 Wrote: as long as I can still buy a decent steak i'll be happy
We grow our own beef, and lamb, and most of our fruit and veges. I'm dairy intolerant so not worried about milk products.
Wanting agriculture to change to be more sustainable isn't being antifarming or antifarmer. it's just being sensible in view of the evidence.

(23-02-2023, 09:21 AM)SueDonim Wrote: The point is that Fonterra's sole reason for being is to help farmers by selling the dairy products they produce.

Artificial food might be a reality for the future but it's not Fonterra's job to be investigating it. Our primary sources of natural food are under threat and we should be doing our best to support production of good, healthy, natural food. The analogy of the horse-drawn days giving way to the ICE is interesting. Right on one level, but now we are re-thinking the ICE. The freedoms it gave us to enrich our lives are now being criticised as wasteful. Let's not make similar mistakes with food. The techs can investigate food alternatives as they will continue doing, but here in NZ our culture and population level allows us to enjoy proper food and may that continue.

Proper food?

A bit judgemental there perhaps?
(23-02-2023, 08:28 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Proper food?

Word such as proper, natural and healthy are very subjective and open to argument. Many food qualities are constantly open to debate including sugar, carbohydrates, cholesterol, fats, various proteins, antioxidants and stimulants. For example the movement away from fats, and towards added sugar, has been disastrous in terms of obesity rates.

The overriding factor is that all of us operate on differing metabolic ways and the increasing levels of inflammatory responses and autoimmune afflictions caused to a large part by poor diet, pharmaceutical overuse, environmental toxins, caffeine and alcohol consumption and most importantly stress. We are increasingly becoming a health compromised species and while the adoption of food that are less damaging to our environment is to be admired on one level the increase in such heavily refined and manipulated inputs into our diets is very questionable for our gut and overall bodily health.
(24-02-2023, 11:18 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(23-02-2023, 08:28 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Proper food?

Word such as proper, natural and healthy are very subjective and open to argument. Many food qualities are constantly open to debate including sugar, carbohydrates, cholesterol, fats, various proteins, antioxidants and stimulants. For example the movement away from fats, and towards added sugar, has been disastrous in terms of obesity rates.

The overriding factor is that all of us operate on differing metabolic ways and the increasing levels of inflammatory responses and autoimmune afflictions caused to a large part by poor diet, pharmaceutical overuse, environmental toxins, caffeine and alcohol consumption and most importantly stress. We are increasingly becoming a health compromised species and while the adoption of food that are less damaging to our environment is to be admired on one level the increase in such heavily refined and manipulated inputs into our diets is very questionable for our gut and overall bodily health.

I agree. If I choose to feed myself and my household on minimally processed foods such as fish, meat, eggs, cheese, nuts, fruit and vegetables, thereby maintaining my very good health, I will be placing much less burden on our health services and our environment than if I eat ultra-processed convenience foods that are are associated with inflammation, diabetes, mental health problems and obesity. I am quite sure that the carbon footprint of a pasture-fed steer (and the necessary butchering) is smaller than the footprint of even one medical practice with its equipment and pharmaceuticals.

And let's not get into footprint of all the packaging of ultra-processed food.

And yes, I know this is a reductive example, but it is a useful perspective.
(23-02-2023, 08:28 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Wanting agriculture to change to be more sustainable isn't being antifarming or antifarmer. it's just being sensible in view of the evidence.

(23-02-2023, 09:21 AM)SueDonim Wrote: The point is that Fonterra's sole reason for being is to help farmers by selling the dairy products they produce.

Proper food?

"In the year 2525, if man is still alive, if woman can survive, they may find
In the year 3535 Ain't gonna need to tell the truth, tell no lie
Everything you think, do and say Is in the pill you took today"

Actually I was simply differentiating between food that started out from a plant or animal, against food that started out in a laboratory. For me, one is "proper" and the other "artificial". I'm sure there are other terms that would do as well.

(24-02-2023, 11:18 AM)harm_less Wrote: The overriding factor is that all of us operate on differing metabolic ways and the increasing levels of inflammatory responses and autoimmune afflictions caused to a large part by poor diet, pharmaceutical overuse, environmental toxins, caffeine and alcohol consumption and most importantly stress. We are increasingly becoming a health compromised species and while the adoption of food that are less damaging to our environment is to be admired on one level the increase in such heavily refined and manipulated inputs into our diets is very questionable for our gut and overall bodily health.

Exactly

(24-02-2023, 12:25 PM)Olive Wrote: I agree.  If I choose to feed myself and my household on minimally processed foods such as fish, meat, eggs, cheese, nuts, fruit and vegetables, thereby maintaining my very good health,  I will be placing much less burden on our health services and our environment than if I eat ultra-processed convenience foods that are are associated with inflammation, diabetes, mental health problems and obesity.    I am quite sure that the carbon footprint of a pasture-fed steer (and the necessary butchering) is smaller than the footprint of even one medical practice with its equipment and pharmaceuticals.

And let's not get into footprint of all the packaging of ultra-processed food.

And yes, I know this is a reductive example, but it is a useful perspective.

Also a great perspective.

Overall, it is becoming increasingly difficult to get food that hasn't been adulterated with unnecessary chemicals. Coming back to the topic, it's not something Fonterra should be meddling in. They should be highlighting their shareholders' products as being the real deal.
(23-02-2023, 07:52 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(22-02-2023, 11:50 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: How is any of this supposed to help farmers?
You seem to be missing the point. Synthetic manufacturing of proteins will be a phase change in what is involved in how we produce food and associated proteins. The role of farming as we know it now will reduce drastically, as will the amount of land and energy needed to do so.

The knowledge of how our future is likely to change on this front gives those involved the opportunity to upskill to best advantage from the new production methods. In the same way that horse breeders, stable keepers and blacksmiths were made superfluous to a large degree with the introduction of the internal combustion engine so too will the need for livestock farmers reduce. They would do well to put their agricultural and horticultural skills, and land, to use in growing alternative products.

Sounds just as bad a plan to me, sucking nutrients out of the land to grown plants that get processed into synthetic products, still needing fertilizer applied. Would probably be a higher demand on nutrients than grass for beef.
Biofuel is a total con for example, all that corn should be used for food.

(23-02-2023, 12:56 PM)SueDonim Wrote:

The anti-farmer brigade would have that gone. They think we should be eating fake meat but no way. Meat should be meat!

I've just got fillet out for dinner. I prefer Scotch fillet, but when an ex-export special has whole eye fillet cheaper than SF I don't mind chopping it up for the freezer.

Animal rights groups such as SAFE are totally anti farming too and have a huge influence.
You cant beat real meat.
At this rate they are wanting us to eat insects to save the planet. You probably have already consumed insect protein in some products.
It's certainly an interesting development, and one that could have a significant impact on the dairy industry in the years to come.
It may be that in the future, people have the option of actual meat/dairy products or a vegan/ vegetarian option.

And perhaps even a possibility that each person's diet will be tailored to the needs of their body, grown/manufactured as close as possible to where each person lives.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)