Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NZ media coverage on Ukraine is poor!
Thumbs Down 
Been following Ukraine for ages, I have to go to BBC, or Al Jazeera for anything even remotely up to date.
For instance, Ukraine have been on the counter offense for about a week now but not a word ive heard (as far as TVNZ goes anyway)
Only thing ive seen or heard is all the fear of the nuclear plant being shelled and leaking radiation.
Seems most decent updates ive found are on social media from locals living behind enemy lines.
(07-09-2022, 12:56 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Been following Ukraine for ages, I have to go to BBC, or Al Jazeera for anything even remotely up to date.
For instance, Ukraine have been on the counter offense for about a week now but not a word ive heard (as far as TVNZ goes anyway)
Only thing ive seen or heard is all the fear of the nuclear plant being shelled and leaking radiation.
Seems most decent updates ive found are on social media from locals living behind enemy lines.

The NZ based TV news is often a few days late with stuff. I have wondered if it's to do with copyright on the footage they show - eg do they avoid paying for it if it's no longer fresh?

ABC news at 5pm on Duke had their interview with Zelenskyy yesterday. That is the previous evening's US broadcast, but is sometimes more current than our lot.
(07-09-2022, 01:29 PM)SueDonim Wrote:
(07-09-2022, 12:56 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Been following Ukraine for ages, I have to go to BBC, or Al Jazeera for anything even remotely up to date.

The NZ based TV news is often a few days late with stuff. I have wondered if it's to do with copyright on the footage they show - eg do they avoid paying for it if it's no longer fresh?

ABC news at 5pm on Duke had their interview with Zelenskyy yesterday. That is the previous evening's US broadcast, but is sometimes more current than our lot.
IDK, there typically has been at least a couple of days delay with overseas outlets.
I was wondering if it had to do with something about the risk of sharing intel about ukranian positions with the russians, but they will already know more than what we do anyway.
There has been concern about media loosing interest in the war and public loosing support for helping the war effort, but  I think there is still an interest from the US at least to keep funding support.
Take the HIMARS rockets for example, i have not seen anything covered in the news here about those rockets and all the ammo dumps they are blowing up. They have been instrumental in helping Ukraine with the counter offense and looks like they are at last making good grounds to recapturing Kherson.