Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Queen Elizabeth II has died
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-61585886
RIP 'Ma'am'
God rests the Queen. She has earned it.
Very sad news to wake up to, but a good innings at 96... RIP
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
The only monarch most of us have known in our lifetimes. Certainly is the end of an era and will be interesting to watch the transition to Charlie from his Mum. RIP Queenie  Angel
She simply couldn't be faulted for her sense of duty; & she did an extremely difficult job exceptionally well.

Poor Charlie.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
RIP Queen Elizabeth II , you did a great job.

So is it now time to stand on our own two feet and drop out of the Commonwealth?
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
Why not become a republic, and choose to remain a member of the Commonwealth? Time we grew up certainly, and asserted our independence, but we should not cut our historical ties...
RIP...I was born her coronation year - pity she couldn't wait until tomorrow, and have her death and my birth to remember. I don't want all ties cut...her or the Governor General has the power to remove a government from power. Russia and the USA don't have that, and I think it's a good backup plan.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(09-09-2022, 01:50 PM)Zurdo Wrote: her or the Governor General has the power to remove a government from power. Russia and the USA don't have that, and I think it's a good backup plan.
Good call, nothing like a bit of accountability at every level...

(09-09-2022, 12:59 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Why not become a republic, and choose to remain a member of the Commonwealth? Time we grew up certainly, and asserted our independence, but we should not cut our historical ties...
Good call, I didnt know you could do both.
(09-09-2022, 03:06 PM)Oldfellah Wrote:
(09-09-2022, 12:59 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Why not become a republic, and choose to remain a member of the Commonwealth? Time we grew up certainly, and asserted our independence, but we should not cut our historical ties...
Good call, I didnt know you could do both.
Me neither but it sounds like a good option. Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(09-09-2022, 11:56 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: She simply couldn't be faulted for her sense of duty; & she did an extremely difficult job exceptionally well.

Poor Charlie.

I totally agree. My first memory of the Queen is the coronation when I was almost 6 years old, so I don't remember King George VI. My aunty sold her piano and bought a TV so she could ask all the family and neighbours round to watch it. I've watched the ceremony several times in colour since then and it always makes me emotional - she was so beautiful.
I just hope people won't be awful to Charles and Camilla on Coronation day, as it's a time for the country to come together - that's what the Queen would want.

When I read things like the statement from Buckingham Palace - "A statement from His Majesty the King at the time of the Queen's death" - it makes me think that it going to take me a while to get my head around that! His Majesty the King . . . I've known him as Prince Charles for 70 years!! 

Rest in Peace Queen Elizabeth II.
I have read that Harry and Meghan's offspring will now be entitled to be called prince and princess and have the title of HRH, she will run this into the ground!
I'm not so sure; I think the media is having field day with those two, & there always seem to be all those 'royal insiders' who allegedly are experts who impart their inside information to the rest of us. You have to wonder just how much of it is exaggerated or outright bollocks.
(09-09-2022, 06:45 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: I have read that Harry and Meghan's offspring will now be entitled to be called prince and princess and have the title of HRH, she will run this into the ground!

I read that headline on Stuff too, but it's misleading. They can only do that if King Charles decrees it and I'm not sure he will. 
Apparently the Queen could have done so but she didn't - that tells me what she thought of Harry's choice.
Well she will be sorely missed, an end of an era.
Might be a good opportunity to decide if we want to now become a republic.
What purpose does the monarchy really even serve these days? Especially for a British colony that is on the other side of the world and has long evolved into our own nation.
I believe Scotland is going to debate this very matter regarding their independence too.
I was listening to Heather duplessis allen on the radio about the future under Charles and she has concerns about him still staying involved in politics, will be interesting what direction he wants to go.
I'm not sure there is actually any point in becoming a republic - it has been a long time since the monarchy has had any real power.

Now that is a very good point king.

The best meme I have seen so far was along the lines of 'This pc thing has to stop. Did you know they are making a MAN into the QUEEN now?'

I laughed, and then realised ' darling, men have been doing that for years...'

But seriously? I have lost a gran, a mother, an aunt, a best friend - and yes it is traumatic and heartbreaking, but thank the gods of these things the media didn't get involved in my losses. The maudlin overload continues. It reminds me of the way my lovely cousin was forced to revisit her chopper pilot husband's horrific very public death, even their mourning became a public theatre piece. There is a lot to be said for being as common as dirt and well out of the spotlight...
(11-09-2022, 07:19 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Now that is a very good point king.

The best meme I have seen so far was along the lines of 'This pc thing has to stop. Did you know they are making a MAN into the QUEEN now?'

But seriously? I have lost a gran, a mother, an aunt, a best friend - and yes it is traumatic and heartbreaking, but thank the gods of these things the media didn't get involved in my losses. The maudlin overload continues. It reminds me of the way my lovely cousin was forced to revisit her chopper pilot husband's horrific very public death, even their mourning became a public theatre piece. There is a lot to be said for being as common as dirt and well out of the spotlight...
Agreed; it must be hideously painful, to have to endure such grief to begin with but to have to do so in public is so awful that really it shouldn't be required of anyone.
I suppose the only good thing is that the new king will at least be used to that aspect of it, poor sod.
(11-09-2022, 07:19 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Now that is a very good point king.

Oh_hunnihunni I always knew you were common and dirty  Rofl Angel Big Grin