Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A holiday to mark the Queen's death?
Damn - title should read mark rather than make!

While this is being considered & Australia has decided to give their people the day off on the day pf the national memorial service, this is not a good idea in NZ according to ACT, because it 'will be too expensive for small businesses to cope with.'

One day, just the one day rather than an annual holiday & you'd think people were storming the bastille again!  Rolleyes Rolleyes

The Nats are in favour however, which is interesting given Luxon's desire to end Labour day.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/1298524...-the-queen
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Some small businesses will do better on a public holiday...but only negatives will make a news headline.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
Cheers admin for fixing the title.

There is to be a holiday, on the 26th September
https://www.odt.co.nz/star-news/star-nat...BgjVSySZjg

"New Zealand will mourn the death of Queen Elizabeth II with a one-off public holiday on September 26.
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said a State Memorial Service for Queen Elizabeth II would also be held in the Wellington Cathedral of St Paul on the same day.

The event would be televised and livestreamed.

"As New Zealand's Queen and much loved Sovereign for over 70 years, it is appropriate that we mark her life of dedicated public service with a State Memorial Service and a one-off public holiday," Ardern said.

BusinessNZ chief executive Kirk Hope told RNZ's Morning Report businesses had already suffered losses from the pandemic and the government had to be careful when making a call that would impose more costs on local businesses.
"Certainly I don't think there's any problem with a memorial, I think there'll be a lot of people who will be wanting to attend that but to add another public holiday, as I said, at a time when many businesses have struggled is a bridge too far."

Even a half-day public holiday would still be costly for businesses, he said.

"We prefer not to have that."

Good grief - its a bit much when there are complaints about just one day.

(12-09-2022, 03:55 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Some small businesses will do better on a public holiday...but only negatives will make a news headline.
Yep that seems to be the way. You'd think that one day isn't that difficult given the Queen's lengthy service, but apparently some aren't keen.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Im retired, why do I need an extra holiday?
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
Our website doesn't do holidays so it'll just be business as normal for us, possibly a bit busier than normal due to all those people internet shopping while they're not working especially if the weather keeps people indoors.
(12-09-2022, 06:23 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: Im retired, why do I need an extra holiday?
Never look a gift horse in the mouth! Big Grin Big Grin

There are some who'd happily do away with all holidays for working people.
Yeah, my boss is one of them. ''What about ME !'' he says. Typical narcissus, it's all about them. He's paying me for 3 days off this week...my holidays and I have too many banked up, too much money he'd have to fork out if I left. Why should I have to take holidays when it's shitty weather like this ?

Anyway, I don't care, but he and other moaners love to see how unfair life is to them.
Waging war with society
I see the pros and cons of a public holiday, on the pro side its a one off and is a once in a lifetime event for many to reflect on, but on the other hand, we have businesses that cant afford to pay for another day off work.
Ironically it wasnt long ago we just celebrated queens birthday weekend.

Is this typically the norm when a monarch dies to hold a public holiday? I was never around to know last time it happened!
Well, for a Monarch, we gotta admit this one was special. How much extra revenue does a holiday earn compared to paying for a day off ? Do those earning extra just keep their mouth shut, and those paying the same with less income just moan ?
Waging war with society
(12-09-2022, 09:58 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Well, for a Monarch, we gotta admit this one was special.  How much extra revenue does a holiday earn compared to paying for a day off ? Do those earning extra just keep their mouth shut, and those paying the same with less income just moan ?
Yeah, this one was special, longest serving monarch we have had.
I cant say im going to complain about having a day off work!
(12-09-2022, 09:58 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Well, for a Monarch, we gotta admit this one was special.  How much extra revenue does a holiday earn compared to paying for a day off ? Do those earning extra just keep their mouth shut, and those paying the same with less income just moan ?
True. The least we can do to mark her life, her work & her dying is to have one day to do that.
Its unlikely we'll see her like again.
I was just reading that even though its a public holiday shops and businesses are allowed to open, so whats the point?
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
It means they have to work and I don't - what's wrong with that ?
Waging war with society
my employer has asked people to work. in my department, there are 9 of us. so far 2 or 3 have elected to come in. will give us a chance to play catch up a bit, which is a bonus.
(06-12-2023, 11:41 PM)JordanFinn Wrote: It's interesting to revisit discussions from the past, especially when they touch on topics like holidays and their implications. The debate around a holiday to mark the Queen's death likely sparked various opinions and considerations.
Only interesting if you have relevant points to raise on the threads you dredge up.
(07-12-2023, 08:06 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(06-12-2023, 11:41 PM)JordanFinn Wrote: It's interesting to revisit discussions from the past, especially when they touch on topics like holidays and their implications. The debate around a holiday to mark the Queen's death likely sparked various opinions and considerations.
Only interesting if you have relevant points to raise on the threads you dredge up.

Looks like another spammer!
Nonsensical posts give the game away. On farcebook it is the obsequious compliments that do the same thing.

They really are so thick?
(07-12-2023, 10:22 AM)nzoomed Wrote:
(07-12-2023, 08:06 AM)harm_less Wrote: Only interesting if you have relevant points to raise on the threads you dredge up.

Looks like another spammer!
I suspected it was a bot (and the second post in as many days from that user) so was trying to elicit a response, more out of curiosity than anything. Give it a day or so and if no answer then I'll bin the post.
(07-12-2023, 11:10 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(07-12-2023, 10:22 AM)nzoomed Wrote: Looks like another spammer!
I suspected it was a bot (and the second post in as many days from that user) so was trying to elicit a response, more out of curiosity than anything. Give it a day or so and if no answer then I'll bin the post.

must have been a sleeper agent, I see he signed up back in May
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Yeah I thought i actually purged that one some time back.