Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Lake Taupo blows, its the end of NZ as we know it...
Might not be anything that happens in any of our lifetimes, but its sure to happen some day.
It is some cause for concern about geonet raising its alert level, something thats never happened before.
Although Taupo has experienced higher activity in the past, its the first time they have raised its alert level.

I wonder how many people even know its a volcano, or at least a dormant volcano and not an extinct volcano?
Its even generating media attention overseas.
https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacif...022-09-20/

If it were to blow, we could look back at its last eruption which was considered fairly minor and that was enough to cover much of the north island in a metre or more of ash, I would like to think we would have plenty of warning should that happen, but its quite scary to imagine what would happen should this ever occur.
It would be a much more serious disaster if it happened in the future with a much more populated NZ than today with a population of 5 million or so.
Much of the north island would be uninhabitable for some time, but the south island would probably fare better, evacuations would be immense. I could see many heading over to Australia.
(21-09-2022, 01:01 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Might not be anything that happens in any of our lifetimes, but its sure to happen some day.
It is some cause for concern about geonet raising its alert level, something thats never happened before.
Although Taupo has experienced higher activity in the past, its the first time they have raised its alert level.

I wonder how many people even know its a volcano, or at least a dormant volcano and not an extinct volcano?

If it were to blow, we could look back at its last eruption which was considered fairly minor and that was enough to cover much of the north island in a metre or more of ash, I would like to think we would have plenty of warning should that happen, but its quite scary to imagine what would happen should this ever occur.
It would be a much more serious disaster if it happened in the future with a much more populated NZ than today with a population of 5 million or so.
Much of the north island would be uninhabitable for some time, but the south island would probably fare better, evacuations would be immense. I could see many heading over to Australia.
Yes Taupo is not rated as one of the top super volcanos for nothing.  2nd only to Yellowstone I believe and much more active several large eruptions in the last 26000 years compared to YS 650000 years ago.
Even an eruption like the one at Hatepe 1800 years ago would devastate much on the North Island, destroy the power infrastructure and the dams on the Waikato.  Ash would spread as far as Australia.    Being a "wet" eruption large amounts of pumice would be thrown out along with the ash.
(21-09-2022, 01:10 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(21-09-2022, 01:01 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Might not be anything that happens in any of our lifetimes, but its sure to happen some day.

Yes Taupo is not rated as one of the top super volcanos for nothing.  2nd only to Yellowstone I believe and much more active several large eruptions in the last 26000 years compared to YS 650000 years ago.
Even an eruption like the one at Hatepe 1800 years ago would devastate much on the North Island, destroy the power infrastructure and the dams on the Waikato.  Ash would spread as far as Australia.    Being a "wet" eruption large amounts of pumice would be thrown out along with the ash.
Yup, most definitely.
Taupo is indeed much more active than Yellowstone, that also kind of tells me that Yellowstone is well overdue for an eruption also.
I think Taupo has erupted on and off every 2000 years or so in recent times.
The water course of the waikato river has changed with the past eruptions, we definitely would loose much of our power generation in the north island thats for sure.
Rubbish. It wasn't the end before, it won't be next. It is simply change, we adapt or die.

Either way, life goes on.
(21-09-2022, 01:36 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Rubbish. It wasn't the end before, it won't be next. It is simply change, we adapt or die.

Ah, but think of all the property investors who would lose money - that's the National way...
I do have other cameras!
(21-09-2022, 01:51 PM)Praktica Wrote:
(21-09-2022, 01:36 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Rubbish. It wasn't the end before, it won't be next. It is simply change, we adapt or die.

Ah, but think of all the property investors who would lose money - that's the National way...
Easily remedied - a rent tax perhaps, to contribute to a fund for the landed gentry so they may be recompensed when it blows...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup

1800 years ago the only thing here was birds.  If it blew like 3000 years ago then you would be looking at something about 1000 times that of Mt St Helen's.  Auckland, Rotorua, Tauranga buried under meters of ash and pumice. All major infrastructure gone.  So while it wouldn't be the end it would mean a massive relocation of up to 3 million people.

(21-09-2022, 01:51 PM)Praktica Wrote:

Only a fucking troll would turn a thread about a volcano into a thread about politics.

The difference is that last time it erupted there was no one living here.
The nation of NZ is what im referring to, not the continent itself.
Lots of people would die if they could not evacuate in time.
BTW, its speculated that an eruption from Taupo is what wiped out the old kauri forest up north and created the swamp kauri that gets dug up.
That gives you an idea on how much of the country would be affected, yes nature will take over and recover, but thats a completley different matter altogether.
(21-09-2022, 09:00 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:

1800 years ago the only thing here was birds.  If it blew like 3000 years ago then you would be looking at something about 1000 times that of Mt St Helen's.  Auckland, Rotorua, Tauranga buried under meters of ash and pumice. All major infrastructure gone.  So while it wouldn't be the end it would mean a massive relocation of up to 3 million people.

(21-09-2022, 01:51 PM)Praktica Wrote: Ah, but think of all the property investors who would lose money - that's the National way...
Only a fucking troll would turn a thread about a volcano into a thread about politics.
Oh, Hi, troll. Isn't it nice being able to speak freely?
I do have other cameras!
(22-09-2022, 07:44 AM)Praktica Wrote:
(21-09-2022, 09:00 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: 1800 years ago the only thing here was birds.  If it blew like 3000 years ago then you would be looking at something about 1000 times that of Mt St Helen's.  Auckland, Rotorua, Tauranga buried under meters of ash and pumice. All major infrastructure gone.  So while it wouldn't be the end it would mean a massive relocation of up to 3 million people.

Oh, Hi, troll. Isn't it nice being able to speak freely?
And yet there you were telling  me to FO in another thread.  So practice what you preach.
Exactly my point. If we stopped looking at every natural event through the 'what about us' lens, we'd be a better global citizen in the natural world. We certainly wouldn't be facing man made climate change, and millions of other species would be still enjoying their lives on this shared planet - lives we have driven to extinction because our interests took priority.

Oh, and for the record, I lived in Taupo for years and know it, and its wild environs rather well.
(21-09-2022, 09:00 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Only a fucking troll would turn a thread about a volcano into a thread about politics.

Happens all the time here. No matter what innocent comment, advice or discussion starts it gets political and everyone goes away. People complain about the issues forum being a bad place, but it's actually just as bad here. Just fewer people.
ahhh politics... the country is divided - no middle ground anymore.

@SueDonim - If you feel like suggesting how we could manage things better, we would welcome the feedback. No guarantees we can actually do anything about it but all ideas are welcome.

Suggestions thread is here
https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18

As far as Taupo goes, there is a risk of eruption at any time. It could be very severe and put a couple of metres of ash over the whole North Island, or could be minor. We won't know until it happens and the chance of it happening within any one century is less than other risks that could be just as bad.

The alpine fault has a 75% chance of an 8+ earthquake within 50 years.
25% chance of a major rupture of the Hikurangi zone in 50 years. That's offshore, so tsunami risk as well as the shaking.

Volcanically there's Taranaki and the Auckland field, as well as White Island to worry about. Either we worry, or get on with life.
The magic of these places far outweighs the risk!
(22-09-2022, 11:41 AM)SueDonim Wrote:
(21-09-2022, 09:00 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Only a fucking troll would turn a thread about a volcano into a thread about politics.
Happens all the time here. No matter what innocent comment, advice or discussion starts it gets political and everyone goes away. People complain about the issues forum being a bad place, but it's actually just as bad here. Just fewer people.
someone got baited, someone took the bait...  Itwasntme

Taupo is known for its fishing...