Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Artificial intelligence again
I came across this article which claims that AI could be bad news for humans, with many scientists believing they could be a catastrophe.

https://www.livescience.com/50467-artifi...takes.html

"From smartphone apps like Siri to features like facial recognition of photos, artificial intelligence (AI) is becoming a part of everyday life. But humanity should take more care in developing AI than with other technologies, experts say.

Science and tech heavyweights Elon Musk, Bill Gates and Stephen Hawking have warned that intelligent machines could be one of humanity's biggest existential threats. But throughout history, human inventions, such as fire, have also posed dangers. Why should people treat AI any differently? 
"With fire, it was OK that we screwed up a bunch of times," Max Tegmark, a physicist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, said April 10 on the radio show Science Friday. But in developing artificial intelligence, as with nuclear weapons, "we really want to get it right the first time, because it might be the only chance we have," he said.

On the one hand, AI has the potential to achieve enormous good in society, experts say. "This technology could save thousands of lives," whether by preventing car accidents or avoiding errors in medicine, Eric Horvitz, managing director of Microsoft Research lab in Seattle, said on the show. The downside is the possibility of creating a computer program capable of continually improving itself that "we might lose control of," he added."

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30290540

"Mr Carpenter says we are a long way from having the computing power or developing the algorithms needed to achieve full artificial intelligence, but believes it will come in the next few decades.
"We cannot quite know what will happen if a machine exceeds our own intelligence, so we can't know if we'll be infinitely helped by it, or ignored by it and sidelined, or conceivably destroyed by it," he says.

But he is betting that AI is going to be a positive force.

Prof Hawking is not alone in fearing for the future.
In the short term, there are concerns that clever machines capable of undertaking tasks done by humans until now will swiftly destroy millions of jobs.

In his BBC interview, Prof Hawking also talks of the benefits and dangers of the internet.

He quotes the director of GCHQ's warning about the net becoming the command centre for terrorists: "More must be done by the internet companies to counter the threat, but the difficulty is to do this without sacrificing freedom and privacy."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Never mind the robots and AI ill just stick to my blow up rubber doll  Rofl Rofl
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
I could do with a bit of AI - I have a considerable deficit to make up.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(09-10-2022, 04:37 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: Never mind the robots and AI ill just stick to my blow up rubber doll  Rofl Rofl
Oh, the trusty old pneumatic Priscilla  Wink
(09-10-2022, 04:37 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: Never mind the robots and AI ill just stick to my blow up rubber doll  Rofl Rofl
And that large store of bicycle repair kits.... Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(09-10-2022, 05:52 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
And that large store of bicycle repair kits.... Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin
And a bicycle pump  Cool
(09-10-2022, 07:32 PM)Oldfellah Wrote:
(09-10-2022, 05:52 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: And that large store of bicycle repair kits.... Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin
And a bicycle pump  Cool
Just don't wear your bicycle clips, there could be a nasty accident. Rolleyes Rolleyes Big Grin
Elon musk is worried about AI turning against humanity in much the same way as the matrix.
Kinda ironic coming from the head of a company that uses robots extensively and is now developing their own. I guess they are learning lots about AI and the implications surrounding it while developing self driving AI.
I think its a long way off before we get that advanced, but I guess there is some cause for concern if Elon is indeed taking this matter seriously.
Stephen Hawking said much the same thing...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
I read quite a lot of sci fi, & have read at least one in which robots are in charge of laws & legal matters, & someone works out how to circumvent a robot in order to fit someone else up for a crime.
The possibilities are endless.
Danger Will Robinson Danger!!!
(13-10-2022, 02:50 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: Danger Will Robinson Danger!!!

Oh god! Was that the worst ever American pseudo sci fi series!  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Rolleyes
(13-10-2022, 03:01 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(13-10-2022, 02:50 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: Danger Will Robinson Danger!!!

Oh god! Was that the worst ever American pseudo sci fi series!  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Rolleyes

But an intelligent robot none the less  Wondering
(13-10-2022, 03:04 PM)Oldfellah Wrote:
(13-10-2022, 03:01 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Oh god! Was that the worst ever American pseudo sci fi series!  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Rolleyes

But an intelligent robot none the less  Wondering

Well...sort of - slightly paranoid, for all that. Rolleyes Big Grin
(13-10-2022, 03:09 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(13-10-2022, 03:04 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: But an intelligent robot none the less  Wondering

Well...sort of - slightly paranoid, for all that. Rolleyes Big Grin

There's only one paranoid android
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(13-10-2022, 03:48 PM)king1 Wrote:
(13-10-2022, 03:09 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Well...sort of - slightly paranoid, for all that. Rolleyes Big Grin

There's only one paranoid android

Marvin! How could I forget Marvin & his paranoia. Big Grin Big Grin