Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Netflix
I was thinking of getting Netflix but not now

It costs $12.99 to $24.99 per month for Netflix in NZ today, depending on the number of screens and whether you get frills like 4K ultra high definition.

Netflix says its ad-supported plan will cost A$6.99 ($8.75) per month, and launch on November 3 in 12 countries, including the US and Australia.

The new Netflix Basic With Ads account will feature:

• Ads of 15 or 30 seconds in length, shown before and during shows and movies.

• Ads will average of 4 to 5 minutes of ads per hour

• No ability to download content

• No 4K. Video quality will top-out at 720p standard high definition

• A smaller selection of content. Around 10 per cent of Netflix's catalogue of TV series and movies will be missing.
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
this sounds like a response to the falling subscriber numbers they been suffering, apparently disney and amazon are eating into their profits.
On the whole probably not a hideous offer but the 8.75 seems expensive given the limitation of range (the 10% will be the latest and best), it is not even 1080p, and you put up with ads...

Basically will make it like free to air with marginally fewer adverts and marginally better content. and that is probably generous, from what I've heard there range is a bit meh anyway...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
I prefer TVNZ PLus and Neon, though I do rejoin Amazon for a couple of months each year to catch up. They all have way better offerings than netflix. Disney is worth a shot too if your tv will support it. Mine won't...
An ad for AMC came up on my farcebook page, $10 a month but it includes Acorn and Shudder (for those who like scary stuff). The content looks good for this BBC fan, has anyone here used the platform and could comment?
Pay for ads? Ha!
I'm over all these streaming options.
It was great in the early days of Netflix, but now all the movie studios are pulling their contracts and wanting their own piece of the pie, so Netflix largely has little selection to choose from and now they pump out their own material.
Now you have to subscribe to Disney+, universal+ and paramount+, etc, etc.
Costs even more money for a bunch of subscriptions just to get all the content you want, costing even more.
I'd have tvnz+ any day now even if it does have ads!

I don't even have enough time to watch half the content anyway. It's bad enough just trying to catch up on youtube.
(14-10-2022, 06:58 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I prefer TVNZ PLus and Neon, though I do rejoin Amazon for a couple of months each year to catch up. They all have way better offerings than netflix. Disney is worth a shot too if your tv will support it. Mine won't...

Get a chromecast and you will be able to watch the works. Smile
Yep, Chromecast, and subscribe to nothing.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(21-10-2022, 08:48 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Yep, Chromecast, and subscribe to nothing.

Enlighten me on Chromecast. I was under the impression all that did was throw purchased content from one device to another. Obviously there is more to it?
(22-10-2022, 07:37 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(21-10-2022, 08:48 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Yep, Chromecast, and subscribe to nothing.

Enlighten me on Chromecast. I was under the impression all that did was throw purchased content from one device to another. Obviously there is more to it?

That's what our Chromecast does - acts as a conduit to stream content from phone/tablet to tv.   You still have to get the content from somewhere like Neon, YouTube etc.
(22-10-2022, 07:56 AM)Olive Wrote:
(22-10-2022, 07:37 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Enlighten me on Chromecast. I was under the impression all that did was throw purchased content from one device to another. Obviously there is more to it?

That's what our Chromecast does - acts as a conduit to stream content from phone/tablet to tv.   You still have to get the content from somewhere like Neon, YouTube etc.

And this screen addict would still be no better off...
I have a dedicated HTPC for all this kind of thing. Better than a Chromecast since it runs desktop Linux and I can also use it as a normal PC.
(22-10-2022, 09:32 AM)Agent_24 Wrote: I have a dedicated HTPC for all this kind of thing. Better than a Chromecast since it runs desktop Linux and I can also use it as a normal PC.

Well thats always an option too, install KODI and Exodus Wink