Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The knock at Neil Armstrong's door
Just came across this - I'd never heard the story but the movie sounds interesting.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/fi...erberating
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
https://newsofcanada.net/how-a-knock-on-...erberates/

"The extraordinary story came out in the most ordinary of ways: over a dinner party.

Jo Chim and Anisha Abraham were both living in Hong Kong at the time, and at a meeting one evening, Chim listened as Abraham talked about the day her family met Neil Armstrong’s family.

She listened as Abraham described how the meeting happened months after the astronaut walked on the moon, an event that brought people together while other things pulled them apart. Martin Luther King Jr. had been murdered only a year earlier.

She listened as Abraham described being a baby when her parents and grandmother, who had emigrated from India to the United States, went on a road trip and noticed they passed a sign announcing the town of Wapakoneta, Ohio, as their home base. by Neil Armstrong.

She listened as Abraham described the looks and whispers her mother, Nirmala Abraham, and grandmother, Elizabeth George, drew as they walked through the city in their flowing saris and how her father became nervous when her grandmother suggested to knock on the door of Armstrong’s childhood. knocking at home to pay their respects.

The family didn’t know if anyone would be home, and if so, how they would react if immigrants showed up at their door. Elsewhere in the country, whites had put dogs on black-and-brown people who came into their property uninvited.

Abraham’s grandmother decided to knock on the door anyway.

What happened next is the subject of a short film that Chim wrote and directed called “One Small Visit.” The actress hadn’t written a screenplay before hearing that story, but it stuck with her and in 2020 she started working on a concept.

“This story was just too good to keep in one family,” Chim told me one morning recently. “I thought we should share it.”

The film recently won Best Foreign Picture at the LA Shorts Film Festival and has been screened worldwide, including at NASA’s DC headquarters. It will also be screened at the Kennedy Center for high school students, at the DC South Asian Film Festival and at the recently reopened National Air and Space Museum."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
They really knocked on his door and said "TAKE ME TO YOR LEADER"  Big Grin
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
(17-10-2022, 11:49 AM)Oldfellah Wrote: They really knocked on his door and said "TAKE ME TO YOR LEADER"  Big Grin

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
This little piece reminded me of my own meeting with my childhood hero, and the way memories of that meeting have stayed with me, and I wondered what caused his death, so I googled...

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/24/us/ne....%E2%80%9D
(18-10-2022, 08:49 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: This little piece reminded me of my own meeting with my childhood hero, and the way memories of that meeting have stayed with me, and I wondered what caused his death, so I googled...

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/24/us/ne....%E2%80%9D

I'd never known that either, poor man. Or perhaps not, perhaps he was happy to beetle off.
He struck me as not being someone who would turn down a challenge...
(18-10-2022, 02:46 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: He struck me as not being someone who would turn down a challenge...

He'd have to be, in order to do what he did. Smile
The publicity for the sales congress he was speaking at said he didn't believe in exercise for its own sake. It was rubbish, and he was a bit annoyed by it. So he walked across the stage to raptuous applause from the huge audience, waited for silence, and when it came he stepped to the side, dropped to the floor and did ten push ups...

The crowd roared...
(18-10-2022, 07:08 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: The publicity for the sales congress he was speaking at said he didn't believe in exercise for its own sake. It was rubbish, and he was a bit annoyed by it. So he walked across the stage to raptuous applause from the huge audience, waited for silence, and when it came he stepped to the side, dropped to the floor and did ten push ups...

The crowd roared...

Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin