Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New UK PM
Rishi Sunak is apparently very wealthy, or according to the article, "super rich". 

I wonder whether someone living on the streets & constantly in danger of imminent starvation might be said to be "super poor?" Dodgy

I really can't help thinking that no one who is so very wealthy should be in a position of power over others; how can anyone with such vast wealth have any inkling of the day to day reality for most of those they're supposed to be representing?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/uk/3007200...ng-charles

"Earlier this year, Sunak's wife was at the centre of a tax scandal after it emerged that she had been filing in the United Kingdom as a "non-domiciled" resident, which allowed her to avoid paying British taxes on the substantial income she earned abroad.

It also came out around the same time that Sunak had held a US green card while he was chancellor of the Exchequer, or finance minister. He spokesman said he returned it last year. He was also attacked for giving a speech to grass-roots Conservative Party members this summer where he said that, as chancellor, he tried to reverse funding formulas "that shoved all the funding into deprived urban areas" so as to help wealthier towns.

He has consistently polled better than any of his contenders in this leadership race on economic competence. In the last race against Liz Truss, Sunak said that Truss's plans were based on "fantasy" economics - a pronouncement that proved prescient when her "mini-budget" caused widespread turmoil in the markets.

Fielding also said that Truss's disastrous economic policy, which saw the market swiftly reject her plans for unfunded tax cuts, meant that the next leader's policies will "basically be a prisoner of Liz Truss and the consequences of Liz Truss."
"Whoever becomes leader, they have two years where their economic programme is already decided. It's going to be pretty bad for the British public," he added, noting that it will mostly be damage control and balancing between taxes and spending.
"It's still different colours of bad," he said."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I rarely read Stuff. They only ever present one half of a story. We don't know how good or bad Sunak will be but obviously his party thinks he's the best they've got and we just have to watch from afar.

How much money he has and what his wife does isn't really relevant to the skills he needs to bring to the job. People aren't automatically evil because they are rich. Quite the contrary in most cases. And if he is out of touch with some of his constituents he may be able and willing to learn. For his wife, it looks like she got her tax structures wrong. She may be in a position where she could end up paying twice which is not fair whoever or wherever you are. Presumably it has been or will be sorted and doesn't really show whether her husband has the right leadership skills to lead the country.
(26-10-2022, 10:02 AM)SueDonim Wrote: People aren't automatically evil because they are rich. Quite the contrary in most cases. 

people are automatically evil because they are poor?  Bigsmile
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Im tremendously poor so I must be super evil  Devil Devil Devil Devil
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
(26-10-2022, 10:02 AM)SueDonim Wrote: I rarely read Stuff. They only ever present one half of a story. We don't know how good or bad Sunak will be but obviously his party thinks he's the best they've got and we just have to watch from afar.

How much money he has and what his wife does isn't really relevant to the skills he needs to bring to the job. People aren't automatically evil because they are rich. Quite the contrary in most cases. And if he is out of touch with some of his constituents he may be able and willing to learn. For his wife, it looks like she got her tax structures wrong. She may be in a position where she could end up paying twice which is not fair whoever or wherever you are. Presumably it has been or will be sorted and doesn't really show whether her husband has the right leadership skills to lead the country.

This article also appears in other publications. Agreed that people aren't automatically evil because they're wealthy; & by the same token, neither are people automatically evil because they're poor.

I think his wealth & that of his wife is relevant, since they cannot have any real understanding of the reality of life for most people, & particularly those who are extremely poor. It was after all, wealthy people & those who wanted to be wealthy, who imposed the evils of Neo Liberalism on many countries.

I'd like to think he may be willing to learn but he is a politician, & they're not noted for going out of their way to either learn about the struggle life has become for many, or experience it themselves.

Perhaps every politician should be obliged to spend a part of their time as an elected politician surviving on the lowest income with no extra income permitted; possibly that would help create & maintain, their knowledge of the daily struggle faced by many - too many these days.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Well Paula Bennet had a daughter at seventeen and John Key was brought up in a state house. Often it's now "I'm on board so pull up the gangplank to keep others out". Or do these exceptions prove the rule?
(26-10-2022, 12:37 PM)alpha111 Wrote: Well Paula Bennet had a daughter at seventeen and John Key was brought up in a state house. Often it's now "I'm on board so pull up the gangplank to keep others out". Or do these exceptions prove the rule?

I was living in Taupo when PB was having her teenage angst ridden years. My husband worked for her Dad at Smith and Brown till the money lure of Fletchers drew him in.  The media never really picked up on the real story she lived back then, but then, maybe our youth shouldn't be fodder for the gossip columns. Her Dad was an interesting man, I now live quite close to his once mistress who had his son, another very successful businessman raised in a single parent home. Bob has dementia these days but lived well, obviously had good genes, his surviving children have done well for themselves.

Aotearoa is a very small town at heart.
should have just kept Boris rather than create an unstable govt.
(26-10-2022, 01:26 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: should have just kept Boris rather than create an unstable govt.

Um...not entirely sure Boris could be classed as altogether stable, or having a stable govt. Rolleyes Big Grin
(26-10-2022, 12:56 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(26-10-2022, 12:37 PM)alpha111 Wrote: Well Paula Bennet had a daughter at seventeen and John Key was brought up in a state house. Often it's now "I'm on board so pull up the gangplank to keep others out". Or do these exceptions prove the rule?

I was living in Taupo when PB was having her teenage angst ridden years. My husband worked for her Dad at Smith and Brown till the money lure of Fletchers drew him in.  The media never really picked up on the real story she lived back then, but then, maybe our youth shouldn't be fodder for the gossip columns. Her Dad was an interesting man, I now live quite close to his once mistress who had his son, another very successful businessman raised in a single parent home. Bob has dementia these days but lived well, obviously had good genes, his surviving children have done well for themselves.

New Zealand is a very small town at heart.
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
(26-10-2022, 02:25 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(26-10-2022, 01:26 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: should have just kept Boris rather than create an unstable govt.

Um...not entirely sure Boris could be classed as altogether stable, or having a stable govt. Rolleyes Big Grin

What did he even do wrong other than hold a party during lockdown? OK he broke the rules, but it was heavily politicized.
(26-10-2022, 02:32 PM)Oldfellah Wrote:
(26-10-2022, 12:56 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I was living in Taupo when PB was having her teenage angst ridden years. My husband worked for her Dad at Smith and Brown till the money lure of Fletchers drew him in.  The media never really picked up on the real story she lived back then, but then, maybe our youth shouldn't be fodder for the gossip columns. Her Dad was an interesting man, I now live quite close to his once mistress who had his son, another very successful businessman raised in a single parent home. Bob has dementia these days but lived well, obviously had good genes, his surviving children have done well for themselves.

New Zealand is a very small town at heart.
+10000000000%