Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Idiot Kids, Crime wave
Lately there've been several news items involving younger kids & crimes of various kinds. I came across this article which mentions human brain development - I'd like to think that all those right wing politicians who are virtually brandishing burning brands & shouting about how they'll 'get tough' would read & comprehend, but that seems unlikely.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/1302851...Nx67RM8kHY

"There is no one rule of thumb to prevent children from committing crime, a child psychologist says.
This week, Stuff revealed out-of-control, thrill-seeking youths have propelled car thefts in Canterbury to record highs, with reports of some deliberately knocking cyclists off their bikes and seriously injuring them.
More than 400 vehicles were reported stolen across the district in August – about twice what was considered normal a few years ago. The city has also been plagued with youth crime in recent weeks.
Risk-taking behaviour, especially by children, comes from wanting to find something they’re good at, belonging to a group and receiving praise from others, senior clinical psychologist Dr Kirsty Ross said.
The feeling of competency with something is crucial. A lot of kids get that from sport, arts, music or academics, but that’s not always the case.”

Children could be guided in the right direction, but sometimes they could have all the right support and still fall into anti-social behaviour, Ross said.
At 10, we are still so egocentric: ‘People are going to think I’m cool, and I’ll get lots of likes on TikTok.’

Thinking ahead, considering consequences and having perspective for victims could be difficult to consider for developing brains, she said.
“‘If I steal this car, how will this mother get her kids to school in the morning?’ – that’s not in the frame of thinking for these kids.”
Emotionally-driven validation drives young minds, Ross said.
It feels exciting and gives me an adrenaline rush, so I’ll do it."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I watched a doco a week or so back that pointed out how the media and politicians love to focus on 'crime waves', but the reality is crimes like these are down, not up. While corporate and white collar crime, fraud, scams, corruption, tax evasion, ponzi schemes - they are not only well up, but receiving limited attention because there are few forensic accountants available to investigate them.

Blue collar crime is a result of poverty and poor education, and with young people - social media. Which benefits from their engagement, to the tune of millions of dollars. 

We have a very sick society when we are happy to punish the poor while wet bus tickets are applied to wealthier criminals, if they ever appear in the system at all. Business people, sports heroes, entertainment celebs, they don't go to jail. Your local burglar on the other hand...
Hmmm...risk taking behaviour, wanting to find something they are good at, belonging to a group. Sounds familiar to what a young guy I used to know did in his teens. But it wasn't a world audience like it is these days...they are on a big stage, and that means a bigger production.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(29-10-2022, 10:14 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Hmmm...risk taking behaviour, wanting to find something they are good at, belonging to a group.  Sounds familiar to what a young guy I used to know did in his teens. But it wasn't a world audience like it is these days...they are on a big stage, and that means a bigger production.
but hopefully, bigger consequences for those violent thugs I saw on the news tonight
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
When an election gets close, we can count on the political party not in govt to press the 'get tough on crime' button, particularly right wing parties which have made a habit of it because they know that most of the general public isn't interested in/doesn't know/prefers to ignore the annoying fact that harsh penalties don't work & may very well produce a worse result.

Humans are a risk taking species - if we weren't then we might still be living in caves - & we want approval from others, to validate our actions & feel part of a society. Somehow, we need to come up with some ways of making kids like these feel included & a part of our community.

And not military training, for obvious reasons.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Yeah, who's going to be first with ''Boot Camp'' - National or ACT ?
Waging war with society
If I was queen of the wborld I would replace prisons with residential schools and mental health facilities.

I bet the crime rate would drop dramatically.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions as the saying goes. Blame the fourth Labour Government for bringing in "The Children, Young Persons and their Families Act 1989". One generation later and now we benefit from the unintended negative consequences of that Government's naivety. An addition to this was a sinecure for some judges (plus staff) with the establishment of the Office Of The Children's Commissioner the same year.
(30-10-2022, 11:47 AM)alpha111 Wrote: The road to hell is paved with good intentions as the saying goes. Blame the fourth Labour Government for bringing in "The Children, Young Persons and their Families Act 1989". One generation later and now we benefit from the unintended negative consequences of that Government's naivety. An addition to this was a sinecure for some judges (plus staff) with the establishment of the Office Of The Children's Commissioner the same year.

What has the national party done about this, since it's so bad...it was in power for 18 of the years between 1989 and now...
I do have other cameras!
(30-10-2022, 11:25 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: If I was queen of the wborld I would replace prisons with residential schools and mental health facilities.

I bet the crime rate would drop dramatically.

And teach kids empathy - every child, in every school.
What the he'll is going on is anybodys guess.
There needs to be some sort of youth programme to put these kids through.
I remember watching a TV show where they put them on an outward bound type course for some weeks and it had good results.
(31-10-2022, 09:15 PM)nzoomed Wrote: What the he'll is going on is anybodys guess.
There needs to be some sort of youth programme to put these kids through.
I remember watching a TV show where they put them on an outward bound type course for some weeks and it had good results.
Yes, something along those lines could work quite well for kids like this. Find out what each kid is interested in, & get them involved in developing that.
Yes, you can't force them to do something they don't want to do, that's why boot camps don't work. But lead them along with something they are interested in and they will join in.
Waging war with society
And the thing about military training, so often trotted out as a cure all, is that it seems such a bad idea to each already stroppy, idiot kids the use & care of weaponry of various kinds.
Military or Compulsory Training should be for all or none.

Youth Crime is low hanging fruit but that doesn’t disqualify the victims feelings/loss

@alpha111
What don't you like or think is foolish in the 1989 Act/Law you mentioned?