Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fireworks!
When I was a kid I used to love fireworks as I'm sure many kids today do as well BUT I don't love them going off from about 7.pm (when its not even dark) until all hours of the morning for the past few nights, whats the friggin point? NOVEMBER 5th is when to let them off and be responsible about it. I'm just about drifting off to sleep when (bang bang bang and whizzz) of bloody fireworks make sure I'm wide awake.
Am I being a grump? 
And for those of you that say yes I am, I know I am so there  Tongue Tongue
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
If I had my way fireworks would be completely banned. They are dangerous, they terrify many animals, they result in toxic debris lying around the country and they are a public nuisance.
There were a gang of young people on the reserve behind our flats last night, in the dark before moonrise, firing rockets through the trees.

Our bird life means nothing to these mindless sods.
Yeah, you're being a grump, and so am I. But I'm not a hypocrite...I had my fun back in the day, and although I can be a grumpy old man, I can't deny other people having fun...even if it is dangerous to themselves and everyone around them.

I live opposite a large park, and every year there is WAR IN THE PARK. This is Guy Fawkes on a whole different level - they fire them off at each other across the park...holding ten shots...bang bang bang, horizontal. It's just noise sparks and smoke all night. The Cops stay away, they are not getting involved ! There will be a large public display at the Speedway tonight, but it will be far more exciting at the park.

I've never had a cat scared of fireworks, some have gone outside for a look. My current one is terrified and she will spend all night hiding somewhere.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
This is the reality of fireworks for those of us who own animals, or care about wildlife for that matter. It well overtime that sales of fireworks to the general public were banned. Too many idiots on the loose with no concept of taking responsibility for their actions or even considering the effects of their actions.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-daily-n...-fireworks
Sitting here now at 7.30.pm sun shinning and they have started, its going to be a long night
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
(05-11-2022, 06:27 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: Sitting here now at 7.30.pm sun shinning and they have started, its going to be a long night
I've found shining a decent powered laser at the location of the fireworks tends to get their attention and perhaps impress on them that their actions have repercussions. Sure it's dangerous but so is what they're doing.
I have never enjoyed fireworks so have no problem with opting for public displays only. If we must...

But why are we using them at all? That anniversary has absolutely nothing to do with a modern Aotearoa New Zealand...
Last night wasn't as bad as the previous one because I at least as expecting it last night & was able to keep the TV as loud as possible to avoid Madame Le Dog being too distressed. On the bright side, I did discover just how loud it can go - up to 100 according to the remote.

I tend to think that its past time we limited fireworks to public displays only; they cause damage to people & distress to animals every year, & while many of us probably admire celebrating an attempt to blow up the Brit parliament centuries ago, it just isn't relevant to us now.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
If fireworks were banned, the idiots would just find another way to be stupid...
They would become like drugs and Tabaco, controlled and supplied by the gangs.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
Ban them. My cats were terrifiedSad.
I got up at dawn each morning to check my sheep/ new lambs in case they spooked and broke a leg ( it’s happened before)
I literally hate guy forks weekendSad
In our area the Councils prohibit letting off fireworks in public spaces. So parks, etc should be fireworks free except for organised displays that have permits. Those of you affected by the actions described above hopefully have the same rules at your place and can at least lay formal complaints, although I realise they probably won't be actioned.

For us, the backyard "small" stuff is a mild annoyance but the cat gets fearful if they are too close. Not excessively so though. He relaxes because we are relaxed. The next level up are the backyarders who have "big" stuff. That is the worst because as well as being super loud it is unexpected. Both people and animals get the startle factor and the shock waves can hurt the ears of animals and young children. Not to mention setting off ptsd in those who are vulnerable. We had one of those a week or so ago and within the properties in our driveway there was one crying child, a terrified cat that luckily fled inside for comfort, plus two neighbour cats that simply bolted and didn't come home for an hour or so. I think the UK has different rules for different categories of fireworks. If we can't simply ban them all outright then at least ban that level of explosion (which is what it is).

The organised displays (of which we have one about 300m away) are better because they are planned and we know exactly when it will happen and can keep the cat inside at the right time. And you know that it will finish at 9pm. And at least it's a community event that gives a lot of people a high level of enjoyment, while making a HUGE amount of money for the school. The downside is that knowing when it will happen helps with the startle factor, but the physical pain is still there for those affected. I would really rather they only have them out of town where there is no neighbourhood impact.

We are now multui-cultural enough that there are many reasons people want to use fireworks. I'm sure most people have long forgotten that 5 November is about celebrating a terrorist attack on the government of the time. We surely should not be doing that. But we now get fireworks for New Year, Diwali, people's birthdays and who knows what else. At least November 5 was just once a year. Now we get fireworks sporadically all year which makes it an even bigger problem. I would ban the lot. And I haven't even started on the waste of money and pollution apsects.

I don't feel hypocritical when I think back to our childhood fun. Even though we did it responsibly, appropriately and relatively quietly then, I now understand about the trauma some animals and people suffer. We simply don't need to do it. And shouldn't.
(07-11-2022, 08:06 AM)SueDonim Wrote: I don't feel hypocritical when I think back to our childhood fun. Even though we did it responsibly, appropriately and relatively quietly then, I now understand about the trauma some animals and people suffer. We simply don't need to do it. And shouldn't.

I agree.   And fireworks have a  different emphasis now.  In my childhood there were very few noisy crackers, just the occasional "jumping jack", the vast majority were the pretty ones.      These days the emphasis seems to be on making a noise.   One pop-up fireworks seller this year used the slogan "GET YOUR BOOM ON".   Ghastly.
It did make me share a moment of sympathy with Ukrainians.