Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Coffee or not to coffee?
https://tinyurl.com/2yf7h3rw

An expert on gut health has warned that caffeine first thing in the morning can be detrimental to your health.

Functional nutritional therapist Olivia Hedlund says a morning caffeine hit can wreak havoc on your gut and hormone health

So, what should you reach for instead of a cup of joe first thing in the morning? Hedlund recommends eggs, dairy, berries or stewed fruit like apples or pears before brewing a coffee.

Is this person a nutter? Got to have a coffee first thing to be able to function, cant see eggs and berries doing that.
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
Tea. You can keep your coffee. Civilised folk have tea first thing...
Fresh orange juice maybe?
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Way too acidic for this woman. Nice with the breakfast in bed thing though. I believe.
Tea is for sitting down with a biscuit at about 2.pm, afternoon tea as they call it, thats far more civilised than tea first thing in the morning (urghhh)
(08-11-2022, 03:23 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: Tea is for sitting down with a biscuit at about 2.pm, afternoon tea as they call it, thats far more civilised than tea first thing in the morning (urghhh)

Well, not just first thing... 2am maybe? Then at 4am, 6am, 8am...
I have a big cup of coffee every morning...I don't need it. Tea is fine, I always used to drink a coffee substitute like Inka...whatever, it's just a drink. I had breakfast every morning for 45 years, then I didn't for 10 years, then I did...now I don't. At least I still wake up.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
Agreed, waking up with or without have a coffee/tea in the morning better than not waking up  Big Grin
Tea first thing, coffee later on.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(09-11-2022, 10:32 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: Tea first thing, coffee later on.

Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee  Big Grin
(09-11-2022, 02:02 PM)Oldfellah Wrote:
(09-11-2022, 10:32 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: Tea first thing, coffee later on.

Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee  Big Grin

Nah...tea, coffee, tea, then ginger & lemon green tea, then tea again. And again later. Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(09-11-2022, 02:26 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(09-11-2022, 02:02 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee  Big Grin

Nah...tea, coffee, tea, then ginger & lemon green tea, then tea again. And again later. Big Grin

Gee with all that I bet your up half the night going to the loo  Cool
(09-11-2022, 05:20 PM)Oldfellah Wrote:
(09-11-2022, 02:26 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Nah...tea, coffee, tea, then ginger & lemon green tea, then tea again. And again later. Big Grin

Gee with all that I bet your up half the night going to the loo  Cool

Hardly at all; I need to stay hydrated to get all the work done - I did ask the dog but she didn't seem keen. Big Grin
I have several iced coffees each morning, even in the middle of winter (question my sanity sometimes)
I’m going to try to cut back, as I read it’s bad for anxiety.
Are you worried about that?

Big Grin
I would be worried if I drank Iced coffee  Cool
Oh no, iced coffee is delicious on a hot day. Especially with ice cream in it!

Yummy!
Tiktok isn't an evidence based source of information. The person is a "Functional nutritional therapist" whatever that means. She might know something or she might just be a fly-by-night faddist pushing a theory that has no base. The article doesn't actually tell us who she is, and looking at linked in (https://www.linkedin.com/in/olivia-hedlund-0147a6116) she seems to be more into marketing than dietetics. Her nutritionist career is only 1 year old and I can't find any evidence of her assertion. Maybe just another example of an Influencer influencing the media and upsetting people.

So, I'd say if you want to drink coffee do so, in moderation of course because caffeine is a drug. If you are worried that hitting the stomach with too much acid first thing in the morning might be a problem, then tea also has caffeine and the tannin is acidic too, and the acid in orange juice is probably worse.
(10-11-2022, 06:21 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Are you worried about that?

Big Grin

In the middle of winter living in a freezing house with snow everywhere, yes I do Wink
(10-11-2022, 08:55 AM)Wildfern Wrote:
(10-11-2022, 06:21 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Are you worried about that?

Big Grin

In the middle of winter living in a freezing house with snow everywhere, yes I do Wink

I was teasing...

But I have always thought snow was one of those things best left to Christmas cards. And, having just had a beautiful new heat pump installed in my little flat I don't envy you that freezing house at all.