Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Media obsession with 2-minute noodles
There's yet ANOTHER article (https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/money/202...bites.html). At least for a change it's not Stuff - they usually seem to be in to this. I wonder if the reporters go around asking people if they buy 2-minute noodles and rub their hands with glee when someone says "Yes". Trouble is, even if they aren't directly laughing at the people, they must know that the rest of us will. And that it doesn't actually help create awareness of how some really are struggling.

If you are poor, 2-minute noodles must be about the last thing you would buy. Surely you would spend your last dollar on real food, eg wholegrain rice and frozen veges or something that provides some nutrition.
(10-11-2022, 08:48 AM)SueDonim Wrote: There's yet ANOTHER article (https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/money/202...bites.html). At least for a change it's not Stuff - they usually seem to be in to this. I wonder if the reporters go around asking people if they buy 2-minute noodles and rub their hands with glee when someone says "Yes". Trouble is, even if they aren't directly laughing at the people, they must know that the rest of us will. And that it doesn't actually help create awareness of how some really are struggling.

If you are poor, 2-minute noodles must be about the last thing you would buy. Surely you would spend your last dollar on real food, eg wholegrain rice and frozen veges or something that provides some nutrition.

In the years when my weekly food and groceries budget limit was $65, I bought cheap food. Knock downs, managers specials, use by date toss outs. I rarely bought frozen stuff, and I never ever bought health food type food like wholegrain anything, because it came at a premium price. And yes, lots of noodles, pasta, and white rice, because it was a great filler that extended proteins and vegetables.

I was lucky. I was educated and I am a great cook. But it has become a habit, that budget shopping, though these days I have a newish efficient fridge freezer, a much higher income, much more teasonable rent, and can afford far more vegetables. I still don't buy wholegrain rice though!
(10-11-2022, 09:02 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(10-11-2022, 08:48 AM)SueDonim Wrote: There's yet ANOTHER article (https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/money/202...bites.html). At least for a change it's not Stuff - they usually seem to be in to this. I wonder if the reporters go around asking people if they buy 2-minute noodles and rub their hands with glee when someone says "Yes". Trouble is, even if they aren't directly laughing at the people, they must know that the rest of us will. And that it doesn't actually help create awareness of how some really are struggling.

In the years when my weekly food budget limit was $65, I bought cheap food. Knock downs, managers specials, use by date toss outs. I rarely bought frozen stuff, and I never ever bought health food type food like wholegrain anything, because it came at a premium price. And yes, lots of noodles, pasta, and white rice, because it was a great filler that extended proteins and vegetables.

I was lucky. I was educated and I am a great cook. But it has become a habit, that budget shopping, but these days I have a newish efficient fridge freezer, a much higher income, much more teasonable rent, and can afford far more vegetables. I still don't buy wholegrain rice though! ?

I was using the example for when there was no other food for the week, wholegrain rice is better than white.  I don't think it's any dearer but I'm sure on that one as I rarely buy rice anyway. If you are buying other food then white pasta or rice compared to wholegrain don't matter as much. It's the 2-minute bit that I'm getting at - all the goodness stripped out and flavoured with empty chemicals.
(10-11-2022, 09:08 AM)SueDonim Wrote:
(10-11-2022, 09:02 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: In the years when my weekly food budget limit was $65, I bought cheap food. Knock downs, managers specials, use by date toss outs. I rarely bought frozen stuff, and I never ever bought health food type food like wholegrain anything, because it came at a premium price. And yes, lots of noodles, pasta, and white rice, because it was a great filler that extended proteins and vegetables.

I was lucky. I was educated and I am a great cook. But it has become a habit, that budget shopping, but these days I have a newish efficient fridge freezer, a much higher income, much more teasonable rent, and can afford far more vegetables. I still don't buy wholegrain rice though! ?

I was using the example for when there was no other food for the week, wholegrain rice is better than white.  I don't think it's any dearer but I'm sure on that one as I rarely buy rice anyway. If you are buying other food then white pasta or rice compared to wholegrain don't matter as much. It's the 2-minute bit that I'm getting at - all the goodness stripped out and flavoured with empty chemicals.

I find tofu a similar product, bleached, soaked, highly processed soy beans may be a form of protein, but really its main purpose is to carry other tastes and flavours. Noodles do the same thing, as do flat breads, and potatoes for that matter...

The problem with two minute noodles is not the noodles themselves, but what people do with them. Limited knowledge in the kitchen is a bigger health threat I think...
I tend to only use noodles in a stir fry, on the rare occasions when I make one. I doubt anyone would be happy about needing to live solely on noodles.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
My daughter did for a while, when she was working early shift as a team leader for McDonalds. Her excuse was 'if you did what I do...'
It might though, be interesting to see just how long someone could live on them, if it was an effort to save money for some purpose. Boring for the person doing it but otherwise interesting.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(10-11-2022, 02:01 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: It might though, be interesting to see just how long someone could live on them, if it was an effort to save money for some purpose. Boring for the person doing it but otherwise interesting.
'Survive' on them might be more apt. Highly refined carbs, vegetable oils of dubious quality, a dollop of MSG, and virtually nil protein. I wouldn't think life would last very long or be very pleasant Puke
Forget the packaged flavourings. Add your own extras. That works...
As well as being less food value because of the extra processing, they are too expensive. If you are poor and wanted to eat noodles, you would buy straight pasta. Eg spaghetti or spirals @$1.19 for 500gm. 2-minute noodles are about 5 times that price. If you were really poor you would eat brown rice over pasta because it is better food and is even cheaper than straight pasta.
(10-11-2022, 03:18 PM)SueDonim Wrote: ....If you were really poor you would eat brown rice over pasta because it is better food and is even cheaper than straight pasta.
The issue is also related to ignorance of cooking skills and laziness. There are far too many of our population that struggle beyond pouring some boiling water on instant noodles, or dialling up takeaway deliveries. I'm not poor shaming so much as making an honest analysis of the realities of too many in modern society.
(10-11-2022, 03:18 PM)SueDonim Wrote: As well as being less food value because of the extra processing, they are too expensive. If you are poor and wanted to eat noodles, you would buy straight pasta. Eg spaghetti or spirals @$1.19 for 500gm. 2-minute noodles are about 5 times that price. If you were really poor you would eat brown rice over pasta because it is better food and is even cheaper than straight pasta.

People are poor in many ways. We rarely teach home economics these days beyond intermediate school, and if you dropped out before that your chances of being able to stretch a dollar into feeding a family are really bad. Way easier to give the kids takeaways. Chips. Or to buy a big pack of noodle packets so you have a few in the cupboard, quick, easy, fast. And kids like them.

Budgeting is a skill, learned, just as cooking is. Impoverished families aren't necessarily skilled in those areas, certainly not to the extent of calculating the best value for the dollar any more than they can calculated nutritional value. Those are middle class skills, educated skills. If you can do that chances are you aren't actually poor. 

Which is why I said I was lucky, when my income was low I had skills to survive and the support when I needed it. Many many families these days simply aren't that fortunate.
I haven't had 2 minute noodles for yonks, you will probably find that those on a lower income know nothing about healthy meals etc, the most healthy one in their opinion would be McDonald's, Im on the pension and have found food prices have risen a a hell of a lot but I still manage to get good wholesome food every fortnight , no noodles for me.
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
(10-11-2022, 04:53 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(10-11-2022, 03:18 PM)SueDonim Wrote: As well as being less food value because of the extra processing, they are too expensive. If you are poor and wanted to eat noodles, you would buy straight pasta. Eg spaghetti or spirals @$1.19 for 500gm. 2-minute noodles are about 5 times that price. If you were really poor you would eat brown rice over pasta because it is better food and is even cheaper than straight pasta.

People are poor in many ways. We rarely teach home economics these days beyond intermediate school, and if you dropped out before that your chances of being able to stretch a dollar into feeding a family are really bad. Way easier to give the kids takeaways. Chips. Or to buy a big pack of noodle packets so you have a few in the cupboard, quick, easy, fast. And kids like them.

Budgeting is a skill, learned, just as cooking is. Impoverished families aren't necessarily skilled in those areas, certainly not to the extent of calculating the best value for the dollar any more than they can calculated nutritional value. Those are middle class skills, educated skills. If you can do that chances are you aren't actually poor. 

Which is why I said I was lucky, when my income was low I had skills to survive and the support when I needed it. Many many families these days simply aren't that fortunate.

Exactly - & we need to be teaching kids those skills, basic budgeting, cooking, gardening etc.etc. in schools up through high school level. Pur generation knows enough to be able to make a basic sauce to use with noodles but not everyone does now.
(10-11-2022, 02:24 PM)harm_less Wrote: 'Survive' on them might be more apt. Highly refined carbs, vegetable oils of dubious quality, a dollop of MSG, and virtually nil protein. I wouldn't think life would last very long or be very pleasant Puke

Indeed.   Instant noodles are one of the most harmful categories of "food".  Not actually food at all, they consist of ultra-processed carbohydrates and artificial flavourings.   Plus highly inflammatory ultra-processed oils. Even a bowl of boiled white rice would be more nutritious and less harmful.

I do understand that some vulnerable people do not have proper kitchens or kitchen equipment, but all they need is a small frying pan, some salt, a few eggs and something green and they can make poached eggs with greens: nutritious food at very low cost.  Eggs are an incredibly cheap source of nourishment.
I've never had these noodles things, I have no interest at all. Someone needs to police the checkouts, stop people and say ''You can't feed a family on this shit !'' All my meals are budget...wholemeal pasta, and a can of tomatoes for $1, or out of my garden in summer, an onion and herbs, from my garden, vinegar, sugar etc and done. Rice salads in summer, brown rice, tomatoes and spring onions etc from my garden. Life's not cheap anymore....but I am.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
I have no idea what it feels like to be really well off. No idea how it feels to know with utter confidence that I can have whatever I want, if money can buy it. I have no idea how it feels to live in a family where violence is everyday and inescapable. I have no idea what it feels like to have no resources to draw on.

I wonder though if my imagination comes anywhere close to the reality of it. And I wonder if those among us who live comfortable lives can have any real understanding of what it feels like to not be so blessed.

(10-11-2022, 06:30 PM)Zurdo Wrote: I've never had these noodles things, I have no interest at all. Someone needs to police the checkouts, stop people and say ''You can't feed a family on this shit !''  All my meals are budget...wholemeal pasta, and a can of tomatoes for $1, or out of my garden in summer, an onion and herbs, from my garden, vinegar, sugar etc and done. Rice salads in summer, brown rice, tomatoes and spring onions etc from my garden. Life's not cheap anymore....but I am.

Sometimes I stand behind someone at the checkout and have to stop my jaw dropping at how much they spend on food.

Each to their own...
harm_less

"The issue is also related to ignorance of cooking skills and laziness. There are far too many of our population that struggle beyond pouring some boiling water on instant noodles, or dialling up takeaway deliveries. I'm not poor shaming so much as making an honest analysis of the realities of too many in modern society."

Indeed.     I know two families, parents aged late forties with degrees (double degrees for two of them), teenage kids and very good incomes,  where dinner is almost always supermarket or delivery pizza.  The parents just have no interest in food or cooking and the kids have grown up with no taste for anything else.   They are all far from poor or uneducated but just don't seem to engage with nutrition .   It breaks my heart.
There are elements of ignorance and laziness in so much of the instant/takeaway food popularity. The laziness aspect is inherent, even when you consider that it's easier to cook a meal than to get in the car to go and buy a takeaway. Of course the ability to spend more and get everything delivered adds another unfortunate aspect to the equation.

The ignorance aspect is sad, which is where I come back to criticising the media. Instead of promulgating the "I'm so poor I only eat 2-minute noodles" they could so easily use their power to show the cheap but healthier and equally easy alternatives.

Teenagers who haven't been taught can be forgiven for not having learned. Middle-aged and older people have had a lifetime to learn what they need to know to live regardless of background.
Its so easy to point the finger though & claim laziness when the reality is that, due lack of knowledge, opportunity & ability people are simply unable rather than 'lazy.'

Again, basic budgeting, parenting, cooking & gardening should be being taught in every intermediate & high school.