Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another religious nutter - son of Billy.
Just about the last thing needed here; we have no shortage of our own.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/shows/202...tvKrCl9NdY

A controversial American preacher has defended his views on subjects like abortion and homosexuality ahead of his tour in New Zealand.
Franklin Graham is the son of Billy Graham, an Evangelical preacher who came to New Zealand in the 50s and 60s to preach the word of God to huge crowds of people.
Franklin Graham has followed in his father's footsteps and is here on his God Loves You tour.
The 70-year-old preacher has been criticised for his opinions on things like Islam, abortion and homosexuality.
After 9/11 Graham said Islam was "wicked and evil" and in 2010 he said true Islam could not be practiced in the United States because "you cannot beat your wife or murder your children".

The preacher has also made abundantly clear he does not support homosexuality and considers it a sin.

Graham told Shepherd he doesn't mention LGBTQ+ issues in his preaching but believes God created marriage between heterosexual couples.

"God gave us sex and it's to be used in marriage between a man and a woman, that's what the Bible teaches," Graham said.

When asked if his preachings were culturally up to date, Graham said he didn't want to be.
"I am not trying to be up to date with culture. I am trying to preach a message that is a 2000-year-old message, it doesn't go by culture - it's God's word."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I thought we'd given up on colonisation by religion? Last thing we need is more Americanisation, especially considering the way that nation is sliding back into the dark ages...
(12-11-2022, 04:01 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I thought we'd given up on colonisation by religion? Last thing we need is more Americanisation, especially considering the way that nation is sliding back into the dark ages...

And it isn't as though we lack any pushers of Americanised religious views, especially when they're often more about power & control than actual religion.
Personally, I think all those pushing religious beliefs which encourage violence or discrimination should be barred from entering this country, if only because we have enough of them already.

Time to put up the 'full, bugger off elsewhere' sign for that lot. Dodgy
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I joined David Farrier's webworm list and am watching him follow up on some of the megachurches. Awful stuff, why is it these power mad creeps think it okay to sexually abuse their young followers? Aside from ripping off their parents...
(13-11-2022, 08:13 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I joined David Farrier's webworm list and am watching him follow up on some of the megachurches. Awful stuff, why is it these power mad creeps think it okay to sexually abuse their young followers? Aside from ripping off their parents...

I think it's exactly that - power. They get off on having the kind of power which enables them to abuse in various ways, those who are young & gullible, or older & vulnerable.
And it seems to happen in many, if not all of those religions which aren't exactly mainstream as well as those which are; the only things they have in common are their (alleged) religious beliefs & the abuse of others. Dodgy

Religion has definitely done a lot of good in the world, but it has also done a huge amount of harm.

The world is a weird place. And humans are crazy.