Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do we do?
Motorsport legend Greg Murphy fed up with Government's lack of action after horror week on roads
Critisise sure but he doesnt say what the answer is.
Better roads?
Tougher driving tests?
Bring back the old traffic cops?

What do you think?

https://tinyurl.com/2jou5cmm
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
I should avoid threads on this subject, being a road toll widow.

But for me, it is simple, make drunk driving a real crime, and make a drivers licence a whole lot harder to get, and to keep with five yearly reapplications and dependent on completing at least one defensive driving course.

It would help too if vehicles couldn't travel faster than idiots can think.
Agree with doing defensive driving tests, perhaps done every 3-5 years.

We might also consider:
Raising the age at which people can drive - our brains aren't fully functioning till mid 20's, although changing it to 25 would cause chaos, we could raise it by a year or so.
Making tests tougher
And perhaps even removal of car if found using cellphone while driving - or something which would actually prevent idiots from using them while driving. Maybe someone can invent cellphones which will not function in a moving car.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
We can put tech into cars now like some prisons do, that cancel cellphone signals...
(22-11-2022, 02:22 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Agree with doing defensive driving tests, perhaps done every 3-5 years.

We might also consider:
Raising the age at which people can drive - our brains aren't fully functioning till mid 20's, although changing it to 25 would cause chaos, we could raise it by a year or so.
Making tests tougher
And perhaps even removal of car if found using cellphone while driving - or something which would actually prevent idiots from using them while driving. Maybe someone can invent cellphones which will not function in a moving car.
Technology is actually moving in the opposite direction. Our car is paired with my phone so it the phone can serve as a 'key' to unlock and operate the car. The car also uses the phone's Spotify subscription to provide in car music content and texts or voice calls use the car's display screen or audio system to allow the driver to access these communications 'hands free'. Why should I be deprived of these features because some fuckwit lacks self responsibility.

Using tech to limit people's use of their belongings is akin to imposing blanket health and safety measures on all people because of the mindless actions of a few. Effective policing and penalising of those without the brains or responsibility to behave in a socially exceptable manner is a far fairer approach.
And how do you suggest we do that?

The average cost of one road death in this country is $4.915m.

From actual life experience, I'd say that is peanuts compared to the other costs, the ones without a $ in front. And the worst thing? The mindless brain dead few are the ones who get to live.

I would happily pull the trigger on those 'few'. You can trust me on that.
Yeah, it's not the cars, it's not the roads...it's the drivers. The driving test doesn't need to be ''tougher'' - are you all Luxton fans ? It needs to have more content towards ''driving on the roads.'' Defensive Driving courses would be a great help...maybe. I've done a couple, the first time I was sent by the courts when I lost my license for dangerous driving amid other offenses when I was 20. It didn't teach me a thing, I knew all that stuff already...that's how I drove and rode, and still do, I imprinted that as a teenager. The 2nd time was when I wanted to be a Driving Instructor, and a Riding Instructor, because back in the '80's I thought these young guys couldn't ride for shit. The guy who took the course had English as a 3rd or 4th language, and I didn't learn a thing again. I wonder what these things are about now. I can guess - objectives and outcomes...bullshit speak.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
The ego of the driver...

When I was riding I soon realised how everyone on the road found bikes invisible, so I did a defensive riding course, run by two senior motorcycle cops. It was scary, but exhilarating. I lost my ego in the process.

Maybe all car drivers should do a military boot camp driving course. Might knock some of that ego out of them too...

And it might save a few 4.9m 'mistakes' the rest of us have to pay for.
(22-11-2022, 03:01 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: We can put tech into cars now like some prisons do, that cancel cellphone signals...

I dont agree with that, suppose you had to use your phone to call the cops in an emergency or to report a bad driver, so using signal cancelling on the phone wouldn't work.
You could try speeding - they'd pull you over, then you can tell them about it. They love to catch people speeding.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
mandatory gps trackers would be a start, then all driving behaviour prior to an incident could be evaluated and speeding tickets could be issued automatically. What could possibly go wrong...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(22-11-2022, 05:57 PM)king1 Wrote: mandatory gps trackers would be a start, then all driving behaviour prior to an incident could be evaluated and speeding tickets could be issued automatically.  What could possibly go wrong...
I suspect that may be part of updated RUC collection in about a year's time when the RUC net is extended to EVs. Distance based RUCs for all road vehicles done by way of GPS tracking. The personal freedom brigade won't like it but it would solve way more problems than it would create.
(22-11-2022, 03:01 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: We can put tech into cars now like some prisons do, that cancel cellphone signals...

That could prove a bad idea though, in case of an emergency when the phone's needed.

Whatever we come up with, there will still be idiots & some of them will be driving Or just sitting their cars & being idiots - I saw a nasty accident years ago in which a driver had parked & opened his door, without bothering to look first. The poor cyclist who ran into the door had no chance of stopping in time.

I tend to give parked cars a very wide berth now.

(22-11-2022, 03:40 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(22-11-2022, 02:22 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Agree with doing defensive driving tests, perhaps done every 3-5 years.

We might also consider:
Making tests tougher
Technology is actually moving in the opposite direction. Our car is paired with my phone so it the phone can serve as a 'key' to unlock and operate the car. The car also uses the phone's Spotify subscription to provide in car music content and texts or voice calls use the car's display screen or audio system to allow the driver to access these communications 'hands free'. Why should I be deprived of these features because some fuckwit lacks self responsibility.

Using tech to limit people's use of their belongings is akin to imposing blanket health and safety measures on all people because of the mindless actions of a few. Effective policing and penalising of those without the brains or responsibility to behave in a socially exceptable manner is a far fairer approach.

At the heart of this problem  is the annoyingly inconvenient fact that so far, there's no way to prevent our species from being idiotic, even if only occasionally. Most of us sometimes behave like fuckwits, some of us a lot of the time & some of us once in a very great while, but there's no way to prevent it. Rolleyes Big Grin

(22-11-2022, 05:57 PM)king1 Wrote: mandatory gps trackers would be a start, then all driving behaviour prior to an incident could be evaluated and speeding tickets could be issued automatically.  What could possibly go wrong...

We're ingenious - we'll think of something! Whatever rules & regulations our species comes up with, there will always be some deviously ingenious smartarse who comes up with a way around it.
Or over it, under it or through it. We're very inventive problem solvers, after all - or we'd never have left the caves. Big Grin Rolleyes
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
NzTA could try spending the money they spend on adverts to actually fixing the roads. Until there is more separating cars than a line of paint people are going to die. Instead they lower speed limits, put crash barriers on sides of roads where people have never crashed and install rumble strips.

380 plus people die each year on our roads. We are about to spend $1.7billion because 4 people died of bad water in Hawkes Bay. Just think what that money could do for road safety improvements.

Hmmm what could go wrong? The cops cant even keep track of our ankle wearing gps trackers on crims , so yep, what could go wrong?  Big Grin
The state of the roads might be improved if we were to revive rail for transporting goods & perhaps legalise lighter loads for trucks. That, & constant repairs.
(22-11-2022, 12:54 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: Motorsport legend Greg Murphy fed up with Government's lack of action after horror week on roads
Critisise sure but he doesnt say what the answer is.
Better roads?
Tougher driving tests?
Bring back the old traffic cops?

What do you think?

https://tinyurl.com/2jou5cmm

Better roads where necessary – and reduce the speed limit on the sub-standard ones. The universal limit used to be 80kph then was raised. Maybe the modern highways should be 100 and minor highways 80. That's if – IF – accidents are happening when cars are driving at or below the 100kph limit. If accidents only happen to speedsters, then stop the speedsters. We hear a lot about it, but people are still speeding and crashing.

Tougher driving tests. Definitely. Test whether drivers have some understanding of the mechanics of how the car actually travels on the road, eg cornering, not just whether they know the rules. That's important too, but with the majority of our fleet now SUVs with a higher centre of balance, drivers need to understand the impact of that. Etc.

Old traffic cops? Probably not. Current police just need to be able to more actively police full stop. From the TV programmes it appears that traffic stops often pick up other non-traffic infringements. Let the two remain combined and get the delinquents off the road.

Drink/drugged driving. Get them off the roads. Somehow – SOMEHOW - get people to STOP drinking and taking illicit drugs. It's a huge societal problem, not just a road safety issue.

Defensive driving courses at least for everyone getting a licence and anyone convicted of a driving offence. Just because some think it doesn't teach them anything doesn't mean that that applies to everyone. And being reminded of things you "already" know does have value. The DD course could be where the dynamics of weight distribution and other technical things could be taught. Also compulsory tuition from a professional driving instructor for learners. Costs could be met by WINZ for beneficiaries. 10 year refreshers would be ideal but I fear would cost too much.

Accidents can happen at low speeds too so the power of cars isn't an issue. Some of our 70s cars went like hell – it's not just modern cars that go fast. Just because cars CAN go fast doesn't mean they should be driven at full speed. Having a powerful car trundling along at low revs is more efficient than something with no power screaming in pain the whole time.

Driving age needs to stay as is, or even go back to 15. Kids need to learn the technical skills and practical coordination when their brains are at the peak of learning ability. And also have those skills ingrained before they hit the late-teen party culture and start getting alcohol into the mix.

Make penalties real. For anything such as cellphone use that is a blatant disregard of the law, take the car away, and in that case the cellphone too. Teach people that actions have consequences.

Above all do something about attitude and ego. Hit the people who simply won't do the right thing for the right reason. The people that don't understand that the rules get everyone doing the same thing in the same way when that is necessary for safety. Get people to take driving seriously and treat it as something that must be done well or not at all. How I hate the people who claim "I'm not a good driver". If you think you aren't then get some tuition or get off the road.

Make sure legislation changes are either educational or only apply to the guilty. We have too many laws that punish the innocent and have no effect on the guilty. Let's not make it worse.
Improve public transport, encourage cycling, make cars and driving much more expensive. This will achieve a number of objectives.
I do have other cameras!
(23-11-2022, 09:24 AM)Oldfellah Wrote:

Hmmm what could go wrong? The cops cant even keep track of our ankle wearing gps trackers on crims , so yep, what could go wrong?  Big Grin

yep, so true Smile
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Defensive driving courses for all those trying for their license seems a sensible idea.

However - humans are never going to stop using drugs, whether that's alcohol or some other illegal drug. Our species has been altering our consciousness since at least our cave dwelling days in one way or another, usually involving drugs & that isn't likely to change.

And I agree with Praktica - better, affordable public transport, making cycling safer & driving more expensive would go a long way towards improving things.