Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another reason to mask up...
New World is using facial recognition tech to identify potential thieves...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/1305677...permarkets

Confused

Not sure how I feel about that...
Mixed feelings about that. The reality is that it's probably no worse than a lot of the monitoring we already have and take no notice of. And if it helps to reduce crime then we will all benefit from them not having to add as much margin to cover theft. I'm still masked whenever I go to the supermarket although I see the article says that back in 2020 they made people show their faces on the way in. I'd be reluctant to do that for the covid safety risk that it entails - handling of the mask once it's on is not safe.
(24-11-2022, 11:29 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: New World is using facial recognition tech to identify potential thieves...

Confused

Its to stop you old tarts from entering and stealing all the fresh veggies  Rofl
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
(24-11-2022, 02:29 PM)Oldfellah Wrote:
(24-11-2022, 11:29 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: New World is using facial recognition tech to identify potential thieves...

Confused

Its to stop you old tarts from entering and stealing all the fresh veggies  Rofl

Bugger off - we grow our own. Mostly. Rolleyes

Not thrilled about this, it could be the thin edge of the wedge which leads us all merrily down the path to a Brave New World. Seems very intrusive. Dodgy
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
But unfortunately that is the way the world is going, same as at the airport, no need for customs to check your passport the face recognition camera will decide if your face and the face on the passport are the same
Lucky we're not going to be around to see that much more of it; its just our descendants who'll cop the brunt of it, poor sods.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Personally I feel its an invasion of privacy, but I can see why the stores are doing it, but this feels so much like what China does on a nationwide level.
What scares me the most is how facebook can identify you in any photos you are in.
I'm not sure how I feel about this. We're on camera pretty much everywhere we go, and all of that footage gets stored.. so is this really any different?

I think private business owners should be able to protect their assets. And consumers have a choice of where to shop if they don't like it.. plus there's online shopping. Tbh I'm struggling to see a downside. We forfeit our right to privacy when we step outside.

Ah.. *shrug*. Bigger problems to worry about.
(24-11-2022, 04:14 PM)nzoomed Wrote: Personally I feel its an invasion of privacy, but I can see why the stores are doing it, but this feels so much like what China does on a nationwide level.
What scares me the most is how facebook can identify you in any photos you are in.

Well, it is rare photos of me show up anywhere these days. Probably because of what happens to the photographer if I catch them at it.
(26-11-2022, 08:21 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(24-11-2022, 04:14 PM)nzoomed Wrote: Personally I feel its an invasion of privacy, but I can see why the stores are doing it, but this feels so much like what China does on a nationwide level.

Well, it is rare photos of me show up anywhere these days. Probably because of what happens to the photographer if I catch them at it.

Isn't your cellar getting a bit crowded now...?? Rolleyes Big Grin
It could end up like those photos you see online that people have taken at Walmart - you know the ones, really odd people dressed strangely or very fat and showing their butt crack! I've seen a few sights in Auckland that I could have shared. lol
(26-11-2022, 10:03 AM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(26-11-2022, 08:21 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Well, it is rare photos of me show up anywhere these days. Probably because of what happens to the photographer if I catch them at it.

Isn't your cellar getting a bit crowded now...?? Rolleyes Big Grin

Nah, I stack 'em. Neat'n tidy, me.  Big Grin
(26-11-2022, 10:40 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(26-11-2022, 10:03 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: Isn't your cellar getting a bit crowded now...?? Rolleyes Big Grin

Nah, I stack 'em. Neat'n tidy, me.  Big Grin

End to end, or one atop the other...? Big Grin Big Grin
(26-11-2022, 01:59 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(26-11-2022, 10:40 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Nah, I stack 'em. Neat'n tidy, me.  Big Grin

End to end, or one atop the other...? Big Grin Big Grin

oh it would have to be one on top of the other - then gravity will assist to squeeze more in
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Squish Squash Squish
(26-11-2022, 02:13 PM)king1 Wrote:
(26-11-2022, 01:59 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: End to end, or one atop the other...? Big Grin Big Grin

oh it would have to be one on top of the other - then gravity will assist to squeeze more in

Big Grin Big Grin
I knew those prosthetic masks would be a good idea!
https://immortalmasks.com/shop/Immortal-...icone-mask
(02-12-2022, 09:49 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: I knew those prosthetic masks would be a good idea!

Hmmm...I suppose younger masks might work too.

My, couldn't we all have some fun if they do. Rolleyes Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin
(02-12-2022, 02:01 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(02-12-2022, 09:49 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: I knew those prosthetic masks would be a good idea!

Hmmm...I suppose younger masks might work too.

My, couldn't we all have some fun if they do. Rolleyes Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin
There is so many to choose from.
There are ones that look like a handsome young guy or else you can go with ones that look like a hillbilly or gangster.

There are ones that also look like trump or biden and other characters from TV shows such as breaking bad.
There are stories about minors wearing them to buy alcohol ?
$600 bugger that and I suppose thats in American dollars as well.