Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaiian volcano erupting
Quite glad we don't live there, poor people.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/us-canada/...n-38-years
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
That'll tip climate change in the wrong direction...
Yes, it certainly isn't going to help.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(29-11-2022, 02:36 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Quite glad we don't live there, poor people.

Blows me away why people want to live so close to a live volcano, many homes have been lost to eruptions in the past, its quite a dangerous and live volcanic area!
(30-11-2022, 11:05 AM)nzoomed Wrote:
(29-11-2022, 02:36 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Quite glad we don't live there, poor people.

Blows me away why people want to live so close to a live volcano, many homes have been lost to eruptions in the past, its quite a dangerous and live volcanic area!
Our biggest city is located within a field of dormant volcanoes and many Kiwis choose to ski on an active one. All a matter of risk evaluation.
Lyttelton harbour is also a dormant volcano. Quite a lot of this country has volcanoes.
(30-11-2022, 01:15 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(30-11-2022, 11:05 AM)nzoomed Wrote: Blows me away why people want to live so close to a live volcano, many homes have been lost to eruptions in the past, its quite a dangerous and live volcanic area!
Our biggest city is located within a field of dormant volcanoes and many Kiwis choose to ski on an active one. All a matter of risk evaluation.

Plenty of people live in Taupo ......
Which is a super volcano...

Gorgeous place to live though. If you like really cold winters!
(30-11-2022, 01:15 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(30-11-2022, 11:05 AM)nzoomed Wrote: Blows me away why people want to live so close to a live volcano, many homes have been lost to eruptions in the past, its quite a dangerous and live volcanic area!

Auckland situation is quite different though, although i agree if and when it blows it will be quite catastrophic.
The main difference with Auckland's volcanic field is that its type of volcanoes erupt once and die off in a new location each and every time, and also further apart, about every 500-1000 years it seems.
Rangitoto is believed to have erupted out of the harbour about 600 years ago.
We would also have more warning should an eruption such as this occurring.
Whereas on that island it has major eruptions with lava flows down the streets, etc at least once every couple of decades or so.
They had such an eruption not that long ago with fissures  just opening up out of the ground everywhere, the magma is so close to the ground there its not funny.
Its like literally like the gates of hell opening up below your feet! Quite spectacular to watch, but I wouldnt want to live that close to it thats for sure!
(30-11-2022, 01:45 PM)SueDonim Wrote:
(30-11-2022, 01:15 PM)harm_less Wrote: Our biggest city is located within a field of dormant volcanoes and many Kiwis choose to ski on an active one. All a matter of risk evaluation.

Plenty of people live in Taupo ......

And thats been giving us an increased activity recently too! Although again, its unlikely to erupt anytime soon, but no one knows. In the case of an eruption at Taupo, we could kiss most of the north island goodbye as far as any cities go. There would have to be mass evacuations on an unprecedented scale.
(30-11-2022, 02:16 PM)nzoomed Wrote:
(30-11-2022, 01:15 PM)harm_less Wrote: Our biggest city is located within a field of dormant volcanoes and many Kiwis choose to ski on an active one. All a matter of risk evaluation.

Auckland situation is quite different though, although i agree if and when it blows it will be quite catastrophic.
The main difference with Auckland's volcanic field is that its type of volcanoes erupt once and die off in a new location each and every time, and also further apart, about every 500-1000 years it seems.
Rangitoto is believed to have erupted out of the harbour about 600 years ago.
We would also have more warning should an eruption such as this occurring.
Whereas on that island it has major eruptions with lava flows down the streets, etc at least once every couple of decades or so.
They had such an eruption not that long ago with fissures  just opening up out of the ground everywhere, the magma is so close to the ground there its not funny.
Its like literally like the gates of hell opening up below your feet! Quite spectacular to watch, but I wouldnt want to live that close to it thats for sure!

I remember a while back there was a TV drama programme about Auckland's volcanoes erupting.

It wasn't that long since the quakes here so it was hilarious that somehow, through all the erupting & having to leave hurriedly, the power stayed on... Big Grin Big Grin Rolleyes
(30-11-2022, 02:18 PM)nzoomed Wrote:
(30-11-2022, 01:45 PM)SueDonim Wrote: Plenty of people live in Taupo ......

And thats been giving us an increased activity recently too! Although again, its unlikely to erupt anytime soon, but no one knows. In the case of an eruption at Taupo, we could kiss most of the north island goodbye as far as any cities go. There would have to be mass evacuations on an unprecedented scale.

Sssssh, I think the volcano is listening...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3007534...-lake-taup

Big Grin
Tourist will be rushing to see the volcanos they are major attraction . same as they did in 2018 . hawaii & nz on the ring of fire big things could be brewing
(01-12-2022, 11:29 PM)joe 90 Wrote: Tourist  will be rushing to see  the volcanos    they are major attraction  . same as they did  in 2018  .      hawaii  &  nz  on the  ring of fire      big things could be brewing

There are always looky lous at these things. I remember when our house was on fire, an audience gathered along the fence line. Not to help, just to watch...

I have very little sympathy for such fools and idiots.
(30-11-2022, 01:43 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Lyttelton harbour is also a dormant volcano. Quite a lot of this country has volcanoes.

Littleton and Akaroa are both extinct.

(30-11-2022, 02:18 PM)nzoomed Wrote:
(30-11-2022, 01:45 PM)SueDonim Wrote: Plenty of people live in Taupo ......

Yes if Taupo cooked off then say goodbye to power in Auckland, BOP, Waikato, Northland, Taranaki.  Main transmission lines gone, dams on the Waikato river gone, SH1, SH4 gone.  200000 people plus displaced and homeless
(07-12-2022, 12:04 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(30-11-2022, 02:18 PM)nzoomed Wrote: And thats been giving us an increased activity recently too! Although again, its unlikely to erupt anytime soon, but no one knows. In the case of an eruption at Taupo, we could kiss most of the north island goodbye as far as any cities go. There would have to be mass evacuations on an unprecedented scale.

Yes if Taupo cooked off then say goodbye to power in Auckland, BOP, Waikato, Northland, Taranaki.  Main transmission lines gone, dams on the Waikato river gone, SH1, SH4 gone.  200000 people plus displaced and homeless
We've got a few generating facilities here in the Naki (hydro, thermal, wind, solar) so enough to at least keep the lights on, though if Taupo lets rip in a significant way I think we'll have more than power supply to worry about, and a fair few 'visitors' I guess.