Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oldest DNA reveals 2 million year old 'lost world.'
Fascinating stuff; apparently Greenland was once a very different place.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-63867164

"Today the area in North Greenland is a polar desert, but the genetic material, extracted from soil, has uncovered a rich array of plants and animals.
The scientists found genetic traces of elephant-like mastodons, reindeer and geese that roamed among birch and poplar trees, and of marine life including horseshoe crabs and algae.

The most ancient DNA ever sequenced reveals what the Arctic looked like two million years ago when it was warmer.

In Greenland, the team used ancient soil samples to look back in time at the biology of the Early Pleistocene Epoch.
They found a forest ecosystem, with Arctic shrubs, herbs, ferns and mosses growing among the trees.

Among the discovery of DNA from creatures like rodents, reindeer and geese, the unearthing of mastodon DNA was a surprise - Prof Willerslev told the BBC no one had found the elephant-like creatures in Greenland before."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
They need to back off on this stuff - it's nearly Christmas, and the last thing Santa needs is some bloody scientists to dig their way into the Elves Workshop. Think of the kids...is finding fossils of a flying reindeer more important than a 9 year old getting a packet of hankies under the Xmas tree ?
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(08-12-2022, 04:42 PM)Zurdo Wrote: They need to back off on this stuff - it's nearly Christmas, and the last thing Santa needs is some bloody scientists to dig their way into the Elves Workshop. Think of the kids...is finding fossils of a flying reindeer more important than a 9 year old getting a packet of hankies under the Xmas tree ?

That's definitely one way to look at it! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
One of the benefits of ice melt - I wonder what Antarctica will reveal...
(08-12-2022, 07:50 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: One of the benefits of ice melt - I wonder what Antarctica will reveal...

Well - according to some, not so long ago Antarctica has a tunnel which leads into the heart of the planet, where another species entirely lives.

Little green men if i remember rightly, although it was a while back, haven't heard that particular load of bollocks for a while. Rolleyes Rolleyes

The world is a weird place. And humans are crazy. Big Grin
(09-12-2022, 10:37 AM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(08-12-2022, 07:50 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: One of the benefits of ice melt - I wonder what Antarctica will reveal...

Well - according to some, not so long ago Antarctica has a tunnel which leads into the heart of the planet, where another species entirely lives.

Little green men if i remember rightly, although it was a while back, haven't heard that particular load of bollocks for a while. Rolleyes Rolleyes
might be the lizard people
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(09-12-2022, 10:44 AM)king1 Wrote:
(09-12-2022, 10:37 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: Well - according to some, not so long ago Antarctica has a tunnel which leads into the heart of the planet, where another species entirely lives.

might be the lizard people

Jeez, you might be into something with that piece of brilliance - try it on the world at large. Rolleyes

Someone's sure to believe it! Big Grin Big Grin
(09-12-2022, 02:12 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(09-12-2022, 10:44 AM)king1 Wrote: might be the lizard people

Jeez, you might be into something with that piece of brilliance - try it on the world at large. Rolleyes

Saw it on a Doctor Who episode...

(09-12-2022, 04:54 PM)king1 Wrote:
(09-12-2022, 02:12 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Jeez, you might be into something with that piece of brilliance - try it on the world at large. Rolleyes

Saw it on a Doctor Who episode...

Big Grin Big Grin
Smile 
(08-12-2022, 04:42 PM)Zurdo Wrote: They need to back off on this stuff - it's nearly Christmas, and the last thing Santa needs is some bloody scientists to dig their way into the Elves Workshop. Think of the kids...is finding fossils of a flying reindeer more important than a 9 year old getting a packet of hankies under the Xmas tree ?

Love it! We need some magic in our lives. My kids never did get hankies under the tree though- they got really fun stuff.  Confused I'm sorry if that's all you got Zurdo!
And socks, and undies. Dressed by Santa.

The Hollow Earth - I've read the book, and I'm a believer, oh yeah. That's where the flying saucers come from. I've read the Hollow Moon as well...and lots of others too. There are a lot of suspicious things about this world...some people have theories and write a book.

Back when I used the get National Geographic, there was a story about them digging a P38 Lightning up in Greenland - it crashed in WWII and was preserved in the ice...fascinating. I could rummage through my old National Geographics, if I could find them...but there is probably a better version on the internet.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(09-12-2022, 09:55 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Back when I used the get National Geographic, there was a story about them digging a P38 Lightning up in Greenland - it crashed in WWII and was preserved in the ice...fascinating. I could rummage through my old National Geographics, if I could find them...but there is probably a better version on the internet.

Here you go...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glacier_Girl

Wasn't there an American Arctic explorer who claimed to have found the entrance to the centre of the planet up north somewhere?
(10-12-2022, 04:09 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Wasn't there an American Arctic explorer who claimed to have found the entrance to the centre of the planet up north somewhere?

An American, you say?
 How very surprising - his name wasn't Alex Jones by any chance, was it....?? Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin