Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elon Musk, are the gods of silicon valley falling?
This is really bizarre, & seriously scary.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre...E3OokD-pMI

"I’m willing to gamble a few Bitcoins that the popular fixation has little to do with any particular interest in successful software engineering; rather it is the personalities who inhabit these spaces, and the philosophies that propel them in their godlike ambition. What is their end goal, we wonder. 

Then there was the allegation last week by the Insider journalist Julia Black that Musk, along with other billionaires, appear to be engaged in their own personal eugenics programme via a movement called “pronatalism”. Black writes that pronatalism – an ideology centred on having children to reverse falling birthrates in European countries, and prevent a predicted population collapse – is “taking hold in wealthy tech and venture-capitalist circles”, with the aid of hi-tech genetic screening.

Musk has championed pronatalist ideas publicly. Privately the Tesla co-founder is, in his own words, “doing my part; he has 10 children known to the public, two of whom are twins he fathered with an AI expert who serves as an executive for his Neuralink company. But the ideas go beyond Musk and into the canyons of Silicon Valley; the world’s richest and most powerful people see it as their duty, Black claims, to “replicate themselves as many times as possible”.
 The underlying raison d’etre tying these various tech titans together is their fervour for enacting their own personal theological outlooks in supposed service of the wider world. To do this, they must dominate and monopolise – remake society in their image, platform by integrated platform.

When we view these monoliths as businesses like any other, or allow them to claim global monopolies, we fail to realise that they are competing for more than our attention or our cash: they are competing for the right to dictate what our societies look like. So it matters a great deal when that vision falters, or fails altogether. It’s the stuff of myth and folktale played out via forums and Wall Street Journal tip lines; the emperors slowly shedding their clothes. We are watching would-be gods shrink back to being men once more."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
That is very disturbing. While eugenics has in the past been part of various dynastic manipulations, these days the technology available makes it chillingly feasible.
(19-12-2022, 06:50 PM)Olive Wrote: That is very disturbing.  While eugenics has in the past been part of various dynastic manipulations, these days the technology available makes it chillingly feasible.

Yes, it doesn't bear thinking about. Eugenics has surely done more than enough damage in the past, & could surely be far worse using modern technology.

It just horrifies me, that anyone should take it upon themselves to decide that 'those people' should be prevented from having children for whatever nasty little 'reason' they've come up with, but I've come across people online wanting the right to decide whether others should or should not be permitted to have children. 

Usually, they appear to believe that poor people, or anyone who's committed a crime should be prevented from reproducing- but are usually unable to say precisely who should be making that decision for those people they want to deprive of having a family.

Not the most appealing side of human nature. Dodgy
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Gotta love Elon dont ya?
I guess we should give him some slack, hes on the Autistic spectrum and has openly said he has Aspergers.