Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why would you pay for Sky when you can get it on You Tube?
We get the Listener each week and I see on the Sky channels some programmes that I find interesting and would like to watch but I don't have Sky but I find that the programmes are available on You Tube and so I just cast from them from my PC to the TV. So I wonder if it is worth the money when they come for nothing? And it's not illegal. Anyone can access You Tube and so can watch Sky programmes and so if you are on the pension as we are, then anywhere you can make savings is a good idea. So give it a go and watch Sky programmes for nothing. And let's face it - there's sweet fanny adams on free to air TV.
YouTube is not illegal but it is possible the shows you're watching on it were uploaded there illegally by someone else.
(26-12-2022, 07:45 AM)Agent_24 Wrote: YouTube is not illegal but it is possible the shows you're watching on it were uploaded there illegally by someone else.
In that case nobody's going to come knocking on your door if you watch them so no problem.
Besides ASAIK nobody has been pinged for downloading/viewing copyright content in NZ to date so even if you're torrenting illegal content you're pretty safe.
The sky people used to always knock on our door back in the day and I would always tell them that I would rather spend that money on my adsl connection to get upgraded so I could have more data to watch youtube!
They said to me it was the first time they had heard that excuse!
That was quite a few years ago, but even then there was more exciting stuff to watch on YouTube than on TV!
(26-12-2022, 08:11 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(26-12-2022, 07:45 AM)Agent_24 Wrote: YouTube is not illegal but it is possible the shows you're watching on it were uploaded there illegally by someone else.
In that case nobody's going to come knocking on your door if you watch them so no problem.
Besides ASAIK nobody has been pinged for downloading/viewing copyright content in NZ to date so even if you're torrenting illegal content you're pretty safe.

Indeed, but some people are very picky about the legality of the media they consume so just pointing it out.
Not that I care in the slightest, myself.
the other way of looking at this is that if everyone does it, it will effectively remove the revenue stream from show producers. Pretty soon there will be no incentive to produce new shows...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
That would put millions out of work though - & I think that there's always likely to be a market for more movies/TV series.
Humans love stories more than anything. Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Somehow I think producers will always find ways to make money out of entertaining us, whether it be from subscribed services or from freebies..
I would say that anything you could watch on youtube go for it because they have there own system of what is legal and what is not, some bloody good TV programs on youtube and not illegal to watch, now just for the rugby  Big Grin Big Grin
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular