Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Space is huge and there are more stars than you can count
Did you watch "The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams? If so, you might remember him saying; "Space is big. You might think that it's a long way down to the dairy, but that's peanuts to space."

So I thought that you might be interested in just how big.     

You can’t count the number of stars anymore than you can count the number of grains of sand on the beaches of the world. There are only about 3,000 stars visible to the naked eye but with today’s technology we can now see 100b to 200b galaxies. Each galaxy contains about 100b stars - that’s a one with 22 zeros after it. That’s an incomprehensible number. If you could count one star per second it would take you over 3 quadrillion years. That is far beyond human effort. There are billions of stars in the universe in an amazing variety and diversity.

Source: TV programme "Creation Astronomy" on the Hope channel, Tuesday 1400, and if you have an interest in astronomy you will find it a most enlightening programme.
So there has to be life out there, but not as we know it Jim! But in all seriousness we can not be the only living beings in the millions/trillions of galaxies out there can we?
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
I think someone suggested that the definite proof that there is life out there, is that they've steered well clear of us. It would make sense, since we still haven't managed to evolve beyond having wars & trying to wipe each other out.

“We are all connected to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, & to the rest of the universe atomically. That’s kinda cool! That makes me smile. It’s not that we’re better than the universe, we are part of the universe. We are in the universe & the universe is in us.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I was watching a video recently about the lack of aliens...like, we should see them right ? But are we early or late into space ? They think we are early...other planets may have beings getting into space right now, but we won't see them for millions of light years. The place is just too damn big !
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(28-12-2022, 11:23 AM)Zurdo Wrote: I was watching a video recently about the lack of aliens...like, we should see them right ?  But are we early or late into space ?  They think we are early...other planets may have beings getting into space right now, but we won't see them for millions of light years.  The place is just too damn big !

I agree with that.
Creation Astronomy? Hope channel? Sounds like a teaser, to suck people into watching religious bullshit.
I do have other cameras!
I just read a piece on farcebook by William Shatner, who speaks of his trip into space at 90 years old and the effect it had on him. He saw no limitless possibilities, no final frontier, he just saw a tiny planet offering the only possibility of life, surrounded by the deepest darkest oceans of death. And he reflected on what we are doing to ruin it.

Well, I guess wisdom does come with age...

(28-12-2022, 12:54 PM)Praktica Wrote: Creation Astronomy? Hope channel? Sounds like a teaser, to suck people into watching religious bullshit.

I dunno praktica. I stumbled into a doco on the history of science fiction on one of those Christian channels and learnt a lot. Didn't catch any religious cooties from engaging either...

Still an unrepentent black hearted witch!
(28-12-2022, 12:54 PM)Praktica Wrote: Creation Astronomy? Hope channel? Sounds like a teaser, to suck people into watching religious bullshit.

So you think that what I have posted is "religious bullshit"?

Firstly, what a small mind!

Secondly, you obviously have never watched "Creation Astronomy" so how can you comment on something that you have absolutely no idea what it is all about? I think that you need to keep your misguided opinions to yourself.

I thought that what I posted would be of interest to some. Obviously with such a small outlook you don't understand that not all people are like you and do enjoy topics that are of relevance to what happens around them, not only on our earth but in the universe as well.

Bigots like you should learn to keep your big mouth shut. It's going to get you into trouble one day.

As Oldfellah says, "Without freedom of speech we might not know who the idiots are." That is very true in your case.
(28-12-2022, 01:17 PM)Roscoe Wrote:

Secondly, you obviously have never watched "Creation Astronomy" so how can you comment on something that you have absolutely no idea what it is all about? I think that you need to keep your misguided opinions to yourself.

I thought that what I posted would be of interest to some. Obviously with such a small outlook you don't understand that not all people are like you and do enjoy topics that are of relevance to what happens around them, not only on our earth but in the universe as well.

Bigots like you should learn to keep your big mouth shut. It's going to get you into trouble one day.

As Oldfellah says, "Without freedom of speech we might not know who the idiots are." That is very true in your case.
Wow.

We all have choices, one of them being the way we respond to other people.
(28-12-2022, 01:49 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(28-12-2022, 01:17 PM)Roscoe Wrote: So you think that what I have posted is "religious bullshit"?

Wow.

But its the way we respond that counts  Yes
(28-12-2022, 01:51 PM)Oldfellah Wrote:
(28-12-2022, 01:49 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Wow.

But its the way we respond that counts  Yes

It helps though, to read and understand a post before we jump to respond with extreme prejudice mode.
(28-12-2022, 01:53 PM)Roscoe Wrote:
(28-12-2022, 01:49 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Wow.

What are you trying to say? That I should not have responded to that bigoted idiot the way that I did?

How would you have responded? You're not trying to say that he had a valid point are you? I think that we are better off without that sort of person.
(28-12-2022, 02:00 PM)Roscoe Wrote: What are you trying to say? That I should not have responded to that bigoted idiot the way that I did?

How would you have responded? You're not trying to say that he had a valid point are you? I think that we are better off without that sort of person.

Read the post again. There was no insult to you. 'Sounds like... ' 

You responded with an insult fest because you assumed you were being attacked. You weren't. He was expressing an opinion. You took exception. Unwarranted exception imo, but hey, your choice.
I think I'm with Edgar Mitchel on this.

"You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that, you son of a bitch."
Mitchell on the overview effect after seeing the Earth from the Moon.

He's right. we may look different to each other, & have different religious beliefs, different cultural practices, but we are all nonetheless human. Most of whom are just trying to live their lives as best they can, & trying to make things on this planet a bit better for their children, & their grandchildren.
And we are all related, so it makes sense to all work together to make our world a better place for all of us.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(28-12-2022, 11:23 AM)Zurdo Wrote: I was watching a video recently about the lack of aliens...like, we should see them right ?  But are we early or late into space ?  They think we are early...other planets may have beings getting into space right now, but we won't see them for millions of light years.  The place is just too damn big !
You are theorising based on your own (a human's) abilities and experience.

Firstly the species on Earth are carbon based lifeforms. This may well not be the case for those from other galaxies, or even planets, where 'life' may not necessitate having a physical manifestation.

Secondly we 'see' in a relatively narrow segment of the electromagnetic spectrum so an alien may well be in our midst without being detectable using our sight if their realm is present outside of our visible light spectrum. That's if they even exist in a physical form (of a scale) that we recognise.

Lastly we don't have active communication with many lifeforms in our own environment (invertebrates, bacteria, fungi, etc) so why would we readily have the ability, or inclination, to do so with those from outside our current sphere of awareness?
(28-12-2022, 02:12 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(28-12-2022, 02:00 PM)Roscoe Wrote: What are you trying to say? That I should not have responded to that bigoted idiot the way that I did?

Read the post again. There was no insult to you. 'Sounds like... ' 

You responded with an insult fest because you assumed you were being attacked. You weren't. He was expressing an opinion. You took exception. Unwarranted exception imo, but hey, your choice.

No. I did not think that I was insulted and I did not assume that I was being attacked. He said that what I posted was "religious bullshit" because I said that the source was the religious Hope channel, but what I posted had nothing to do with religion and was based on scientific fact. Surely it makes no difference to the facts of the matter because of who said it? But his bigoted prejudice made him think otherwise.

I called him a bigot because that is what he is, a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion. Unfortunately, the idiots among us are becoming louder.
Actually he didn't.

Read the post again.
(28-12-2022, 01:17 PM)Roscoe Wrote:

I find it amusing that a religious fundy calls me a bigot! Trouble? When you and your ilk take power, like the Taliban, eh?
I do have other cameras!
(28-12-2022, 03:39 PM)Praktica Wrote:
(28-12-2022, 01:17 PM)Roscoe Wrote: So you think that what I have posted is "religious bullshit"?

I find it amusing that a religious fundy calls me a bigot! Trouble? When you and your ilk take power, like the Taliban, eh?

Oh! Is that where it's coming from? Ahhh, I see.

Well, we love new people. Especially those delivered fresh and new on Christmas Eve. I checked because of the 'we are better off without that sort of person...' comment, which kind of suggests long term engagement, rather than fob...

And yes, I am teasing. Rolleyes
(28-12-2022, 02:23 PM)harm_less Wrote: You are theorising based on your own (a human's) abilities and experience.

No, I was talking about a video I saw, not my opinion at all...but I thought it was very interesting as far as our own timeline in the universe. Yes, what we can see, smell and hear, it is very limited, and just compared to dumb animals it obvious how much more of the world they are aware of. Space travel may not be limited by the speed of light, but it's the only theory scientists can think of.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society