Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Earthquake, who felt it?
Was a 4.3 in TeAroha, gave us a good shake in Tauranga.
Auckland would likely have felt it too.
I like earthquakes, the survivable ones that is. Having lived in Taupo for all those years I got used to the living earth twitching beneath my feet. We have around 20,000 of them here each year in the shaky isles, with a good couple of hundred of the registerable variety. With luck the really nasty ones will be far far fewer...
This is the largest quake I've ever felt here. I was only a toddler when we had the edgecumbe quake, so don't remember that one.
(29-12-2022, 09:59 AM)nzoomed Wrote: This is the largest quake I've ever felt here. I was only a toddler when we had the edgecumbe quake, so don't remember that one.
That one is one of my strongest EQ memories (apart from the 2016 Kaikoura one). We were stopped at the traffic lights on SH1 in Huntly as we were returning from a fishing trip in Northland. The ute was shuddering and I thought we had dropped an ignition lead or two so I pulled over further down the road and put the bonnet up to find nothing wrong. Then the radio reports came through and we realised what we had experienced.

Got to visit Edgecombe in the weeks following with a friend who worked for Environment BOP. The lasting memory is that you don't realise how much you take verticality and alignment for granted until things aren't. Fences, powerpoles, buildings and dairy factory vessels were all on the piss which impacted me in how much that jarred compared to normal.

In New Plymouth for the Kaikoura one and actually saw the blue flash that accompanied that one. Initially I though the light show through the curtains had been a power transformer short until I checked out the phenomena.
No, & extremely thankful not to have felt the damn thing. I'd like to think I've had my quota of quakes for this lifetime...
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Anyone wake up to the one we had this morning? Was even stronger at 5.1
Very unusual to get quakes in this region.
Was in the same location as last time. Expect more aftershocks.
Yes just got up to go to the toilet, at 5.39am worst than the last one.  Stayed in the door way until it finished.
We were woken by the Waikato earthquake this morning, a big jolt but only for 10 seconds. We had a very small tremor last week; apart from that I haven't felt one since childhood.
It was the biggest earthquake I've ever felt here in my life, with the exception of some aftershocks I felt while down I chch.
I must be a sound sleeper because I never felt a thing and Im in Hamilton, no hope for me then if the world comes tumbling down ill probably sleep through it  Big Grin Big Grin
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
Me too oldfellah, these cooler nights make it easy to sleep beyond the usual 4am wake up call.

My best memory of a quake was on the Desert Road. We were doing a group bike road trip and all of a sudden we saw a ripple coming down the straight towards us and by the time our brains caught up with our eyes it had passed under us like a seawave and we were over it...
(04-01-2023, 09:49 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Me too oldfellah, these cooler nights make it easy to sleep beyond the usual 4am wake up call.

My best memory of a quake was on the Desert Road. We were doing a group bike road trip and all of a sudden we saw a ripple coming down the straight towards us and by the time our brains caught up with our eyes it had passed under us like a seawave and we were over it...

Wow, that would be a trippy thing to see. I've heard similar stories with the Edgecombe quake.
(04-01-2023, 10:16 AM)nzoomed Wrote:
(04-01-2023, 09:49 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Me too oldfellah, these cooler nights make it easy to sleep beyond the usual 4am wake up call.

Wow, that would be a trippy thing to see. I've heard similar stories with the Edgecombe quake.
A guy I used to work with had spent time working for Lands & Survey in Hawkes Bay and had some interesting chats with older locals who had been around for the 1931 quake there. One old guy reckoned the surface shock waves looked like swells as you would see at at sea and being in a vehicle at the time was like being in a boat in a rolling swell as the 'waves' rolled by.
I live in Auckland and was up at that time but did not feel a thing.

I remember when I lived in Wellington it was not at all unusual to see the light swinging.
Didn't feel it down here thankfully. Hope you don't get too many aftershocks.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Apparently there have been a number of small aftershocks today, but we haven't noticed any. here, i've been feeling uneasy all day after this morning's big thud; I have read that if it was a precursor to a really big quake then the big one will happen in a matter of days or not at all. However, the way the earth is changing I'm not convinced that previous patterns will continue. Existential dread, one day at a time.
I felt quite a jolt early this afternoon. Was a 3.4.
But there were 2 other aftershocks today that I didn't feel at all. I'm expecting we will have a few more of these over the next month.