Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Macrium Reflect Free.
Wainuitech, or others!

Just had notice that the free version will not be available in version 9.

I used to pay for Acronis years ago until I found Active@Image and paid for that until Macrium free came along.

Is there a program that's as good as Macrium Free or would it pay to pay!

And Happy New year to all the old PCWF crowd. Great to be able to see some here.
Thanks.
I have also been using Macrium Reflect Free  for quite some time now and also have received that notification. FWIW because it has been reliable and easy to use I shall most likely move to the paid version when forced to do so. Support for version 8 is, I believe,  good for another year so there is no rush to decide. I tend to go along with Wainui Tech's advice and will be interested in what his take is on the matter.
I cant say what Macrium Reflect does better than any other back up program because I dont use it, what I have been using for many years is the free version of AOMEI Backupper and it does me just fine.
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
Been using the Free version myself for years, On my own PC's they back up automatically every day to Servers in my workshop, as well as a few other files to online storage.

Do have a older Paid version as well (V7) Server edition.

I normally use the bootable CD on Customers PC's to save an image and recover data , or in most cases unbootable PC's  images will boot Via viboot.

Macrium does have one feature that MANY others don't -- If a image wont boot on putting back theres an option to fix the boot problem.
"WHEN" the time comes I'll buy it, its been a LOT more reliable than the others.

Tried them all really, AOMEI Backupper, ToDo, Acronis  etc, ALL have failed at various times.

What a LOT of people don't know is while they say their backup is working fine, But is it really ?????  Have they actually been FULLY Tested. Meaning put in a blank drive and drop the image back so it will boot back to a working system ??? I know the answer, and its NOT yes Wink

Seen countless times people think its working and when its actually needed it fails. MANY back up programs will back up data , which is fine, but not all will create a whole snapshot of the PC.
Meaning -- lets say a hard drive fails - The backups they have been doing may have backed up data BUT that on its own is useless. You still have to install the OS, put all your programs back, reset up accounts, alter settings to how you like it, THEN put the data back.

With Macrium - I set it so in the event of a drive failing it takes roughly 20-30 minutes and fully  restore, up to and running with everything exactly how it was.

Basically use Macrium many times a week on various computers without any problems.

Once a customer was using Acronis, thinking they were backing up  and data was safe. Their Drive spat the dummy and on trying to put the image  back it failed big time  (around a month of backups) totally failed due to corruptions. Couldn't recover the data either.
Contacted Acronis - They basically said " its not their fault, its tough luck the person should regularly check to make sure the backups worked BEFORE they were needed'

Just last week, A customer has AOMEI Backupper installed, so made an image using their software, it was only a precaution and imaged the computer before upgrading hardware , dropped the image back onto a spare drive-- Damn useless -- Wouldn't boot, half the data that was there in the image couldn't open, they had NEVER tested any backups either. In fact AOMEI even warn that the images may not boot and link how to manually fix it -- Yeah didn't work either.

So back to original, if Macrium  go to fully paid so be it, I'll stick with software I know works, still a year away anyway. Smile  Nothing is 100% perfect but some are better than others.
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
Thanks Wainui, will do the same.
Made a recovery cd using Macrium yesterday and tried it out on an old laptop, Presario CQ57, Win 10 latest updates. It sat there for 15 minutes just spinning, after I set the boot sequence.

So took it out and tried it my main pc, where it sat for about 10 minutes, speeding up and down. We were going out, so decided to put it back in the laptop and leave,hoping to see something when we got home.

The laptop is on power, and set to not turn off on power. Back home the laptop was off, got the cd out and tried booting it up.The power light blinks 3 times and that's all. Disconnected power and battery for a while,tried again but nothing.

Have taken out the new ssd which I fitted a little while ago, and I can access the stuff on it,not a major. Copying some files onto another laptop at present.
Just wondered if there is something I can do to get the laptop running again.
Any ideas,thanks.
Sounds like the CD didn't burn correctly. Often when booting from CD you will see the LED flashing on the drive, but normally takes only a couple of minutes to load.

If two different computers cant read the CD  that,s a faulty CD, or the original was burnt using UEFI and the older Computers cant read it. ( had it happen the other way around as well)

The Blinking lights - usually indicates a hardware problem / failure someplace, as the PC cant boot because of it. Could be a bad battery, either main or CMOS, could also be RAM needs reseating. Try doing a google search with  that model and "power light blinks 3 times"  You'll get plenty of options to try.

It wont be because of the CD you made with Macrium. But the other problem could be the reason its not booting from it ( as well as a bad burn)
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
(03-01-2023, 09:34 AM)neilmcc Wrote: Made a recovery cd using Macrium yesterday and tried it out on an old laptop, Presario CQ57, Win 10 latest updates. It sat there for 15 minutes just spinning, after I set the boot sequence.

So took it out and tried it my main pc, where it sat for about 10 minutes, speeding up and down. We were going out, so decided to put it back in the laptop and leave,hoping to see something when we got home.

The laptop is on power, and set to not turn off on power. Back home the laptop was off, got the cd out and tried booting it up.The power light blinks 3 times and that's all. Disconnected power and battery for a while,tried again but nothing.

Have taken out the new ssd which I fitted a little while ago, and I can access the stuff on it,not a major. Copying some files onto another laptop at present.
Just wondered if there is something I can do to get the laptop running again.
Any ideas,thanks.

the recovery CD might be borked but it could also be the UEFI settings preventing booting from non-UEFI compatible external devices - you might have better luck burning it to a flash drive instead... 

installing a fresh copy of windows 10 onto a spare HDD is one way of determining whether there is something amiss, when there is weird things going on
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Thanks guys,I'll try making another cd. I have done a flash drive but the laptop had no option for fd.
Just been saving data from the faulty laptop ssd onto another laptop when there was a loud pop from below the laptop and it rebooted! Looks OK now.
Maybe not my week? Or a cockroach!
Phew, finally made a working boot cd, 5 discs later and using my other burner!
Has booted into Macrium on my main pc, which is the main reason for using it.
Now to play with the laptop.

Also redid the flash drive and it now works as well.

The laptop...
Fiddled with the ram,put it back together and it fired up!
Thanks for the help.