Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A question for the train enthusiasts.
You will, of course, know that the majority of the railway system in this country works on a single line. 

So there are no accidents the railways divides the single line into sections and only one train is permitted on one section at a time. Each train is given, by radio, a track warrant that gives that train permission to be on that section. That means that collisions are almost impossible. So I wonder why each train has a flashing red light on the rear of the last carriage on the train? There should not be another train anywhere near that train so does it really need a red flashing light? 

Perhaps someone can tell me why that is necessary. I'd be interested to know the reason why.
I've no idea why that is, but taking a guess, perhaps its in case a jigger is needed on the line at night for whatever reason so the light is to warn of where the train is.
Perhaps a train driver would be able to tell you. Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
my first thought was it would be useful in the stations when there are trains in close proximity, shunting going on, that sort of thing, especially at night, although I imagine the yards are probably well lit up
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(02-01-2023, 12:25 PM)king1 Wrote: my first thought was it would be useful in the stations when there are trains in close proximity, shunting going on, that sort of thing, especially at night, although I imagine the yards are probably well lit up

That very well may be the case, but the point I was making is that the flashing red light is illuminating the rear of the train when it is on the main line kilometres away from any other train and the red light is flashing day and night. 

And yes, the yards have lights on top of tall towers that light up the entire yard.
It's one way to indicate which way it is travelling, which may seem obvious...but so too with cars - no white lights to the rear, and there are rules for reversing lamps. You may have noticed headlamps on trains too - why ? It's daylight, there are no other vehicles on it's track, why are those headlamps on ? So we know which way it's travelling...if there is a loco on the end of a train, it will show red lamps, showing which direction it is moving. Obviously this is only for stupid people...right ?
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(02-01-2023, 01:02 PM)Zurdo Wrote: It's one way to indicate which way it is travelling, which may seem obvious...but so too with cars - no white lights to the rear, and there are rules for reversing lamps. You may have noticed headlamps on trains too - why ?  It's daylight, there are no other vehicles on it's track, why are those headlamps on ?  So we know which way it's travelling...if there is a loco on the end of a train, it will show red lamps, showing which direction it is moving. Obviously this is only for stupid people...right ?

Many years back in the age of steam, it was noticed that the locomotives are more easily seen with their headlights on which is useful when they are approaching crossings and such like. So their headlights have been on ever since.

Also, the NZ loco drivers sound their horn when approaching a crossing which activates the flashing ditch lights as well.

Interestingly, the British locomotives have never had headlights and they have many more trains than we do.
Who needs to see them, they are on their own tracks with no other vehicles are coming the other way. Level crossings, yes, sound the horn and flashing lights...but in the middle of nowhere, why do they need headlights ? See your first post....

You will also notice these days they have 3 headlights....since 1990 all cars in NZ have highstop lights....a triangle. On my motorcycle I have two fog lights down low, a triangle again.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society