Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enquiries underway after two cops filmed
The suspect had been restrained. Nonetheless, one officer can be seen hitting him with handcuffs & then kicking him several times, while the other allowed the dog to continue biting him. 

While I understand that theirs is a difficult job, they're there to uphold the law, not behave like thuggish American cops.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/3...n-auckland

"In a video filmed by an onlooker, two police officers can be seen wrestling with a man lying on the ground.
Throughout the video a police dog can be seen biting the man as he lies face down.
The videographer said the man being restrained could be heard screaming in pain during the arrest."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I think anyone who runs from police after being caught doing something they know is both wrong and illegal should not be surprised when their actions result in a bit of stress and pain.

This incident is in danger of being blown out of all proportion by the media. After all, the runaway burglar had the opportunity to avoid those consequences. Stupid boy.
A bit of stress & pain is one thing, but this seems to have gone beyond that. They're supposed to uphold the law & any private citizen allowing their dog to bite another person or kicking someone would likely be arrested.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
not sure I have a problem with that TBH, it looked to me like he was being completely uncooperative with the handcuffing. It looked like the office was trying to throw the cuffs around his wrist like they do in the movies... The only 'kick' I could see was more of a tap which I presume was to get him to move his arm.

The only issue I really have with it is the dog was probably latched on a bit too long, but having said that the guy was clearly being difficult and needed two officers to restrain him, the dog handler had to be their, along with the dog. The perp probably should have behaved better...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(03-01-2023, 10:34 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: A bit of stress & pain is one thing, but this seems to have gone beyond that. They're supposed to uphold the law & any private citizen allowing their dog to bite another person or kicking someone would likely be arrested.

They do have special authority to use reasonable force if deemed necessary and to be fair police dogs are just another tool in the toolbox for police, there purpose is to bite if necessary...

Police dogs use a hold grip, they do not savage unless the hold is resisted or they are attacked. So a few toothmarks are the likely outcome, and those of us who have had dogs know those are fairly easily treated. The cops kicks on the video looked more like light reminders to the guy to behave rather than punishing strikes. I think if they had been delivered in malice, as the US cops have been seen to do, a great deal more force would have been used. Again, those of us kicked by siblings or under the table reminders to shut up know the difference.

But the media will love this. They will beat the drums until a better story comes along. I just wish they were more sympathetic to the people and the dogs who do the hard yards for us, and wear the scars on a daily basis.

But then, I'm biased. I know a lot more cops than I do crooks, and am grateful for that privilege.
IDK if the police stuffed up here or not, but hopefully it puts off other scumbags from committing crime.
I bet this criminal won't try this again!
He was lying on the ground; once they had him down there was no need for the cop to put the boot in, & the dog should have been called off at that point rather than being allowed to continue biting him.
He may well be the biggest bastard unhung but once they had him down then they had no need to continue. And the point is that if they & other cops are allowed to continue behaving in this way then its just a matter of time before it becomes commonplace & then until an innocent person becomes the victim of over zealous cops.
(03-01-2023, 02:22 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: He was lying on the ground; once they had him down there was no need for the cop to put the boot in, & the dog should have been called off at that point rather than being allowed to continue biting him.
He may well be the biggest bastard unhung but once they had him down then they had no need to continue. And the point is that if they & other cops are allowed to continue behaving in this way then its just a matter of time before it becomes commonplace & then until an innocent person becomes the victim of over zealous cops.

idiots can still be uncooperative while lying on the ground, and jump and run in an instant I might add, so I don't think it is quite so clear cut.  It seems clear to me the chappie didn't want to be handcuffed...  

If Police are too soft on them we will have a greater incidence of absconders, which is probably more work, less arrests, more unsolved crimes, more victims of crime without closure...

We already have the 'too soft on crime' screeches.

But it is probably just as well I am not Queen of the World. Despite my excellent qualifications.
Smile
It seemed clear from the footage that he'd stopped struggling, apart from trying to move away from the dog. I think they went overboard.
it will be interesting to see how that one pans out, hopefully there will be an IPCA investigation into the matter to determine whether an appropriate use of force was utilised...

(03-01-2023, 07:32 PM)king1 Wrote: it will be interesting to see how that one pans out, hopefully there will be an IPCA investigation into the matter to determine whether an appropriate use of force was utilised...

I hope so, but they may prefer to allow this to quietly fade away.