Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New covid XBB 1.5 variant
No idea if this is anything to be concerned about, I highly doubt that it will make you sicker than previous strains, but it appears its evading any natural immunity from previous covid infections.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/heal...995204002/
There's a good piece about it in the Washington Post, and it does sound like a worry, especially as those of us who were early adopters of the vaccine were last boosted in August and that immunity must surely be waning now.

Masking and social distancing are ever more important.
(07-01-2023, 10:47 AM)Olive Wrote: There's a good piece about it in the Washington Post, and it does sound like a worry, especially as those of us who were early adopters of the vaccine were last boosted in August and that immunity must surely be waning now.

Masking and social distancing are ever more important.

I guess time will tell, im not sure if its arrived in NZ yet, lots of people have natural immunity and booster uptake has slowed down. We may see another booster campaign before winter.
I hope so. While I really need another new hip, I am really concerned about catching the damned thing while I am on the ward. All that post surgery stuff plus covid is not something to be looked forward to, but having procrastinated now for years I just can't do it much longer...
(10-01-2023, 09:20 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I hope so. While I really need another new hip, I am really concerned about catching the damned thing while I am on the ward. All that post surgery stuff plus covid is not something to be looked forward to, but having procrastinated now for years I just can't do it much longer...

If it was me I wouldn't stress about it, its not healthy to worry about these sorts of things.
I know several people with various health conditions who were concerned about catching covid and their symptoms were quite mild when they eventually caught it.
I think you have done well to have avoided it this long.
It's even possible you have already caught it and had no symptoms.
Apparently you can get a test for antibodies to see if you have caught the virus, but it costs a bit of money.

The new variant has been found in NZ now it appears, but while its more infectious, there is not enough data yet to show its any more serious.
(10-01-2023, 09:20 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I hope so. While I really need another new hip, I am really concerned about catching the damned thing while I am on the ward. All that post surgery stuff plus covid is not something to be looked forward to, but having procrastinated now for years I just can't do it much longer...
Best to work on your own immunity. Vitamin D & K2 and zinc supplements, plus eat healthily. That way if you're exposed you maximise your chances of fending it off or at least minimise its effects on you.

That's probably more effective than the boosters currently being administered as the virus has sidestepped them a few variants ago from what I gather.
(10-01-2023, 02:17 PM)harm_less Wrote:
Best to work on your own immunity. Vitamin D & K2 and zinc supplements, plus eat healthily. That way if you're exposed you maximise your chances of fending it off or at least minimise its effects on you.

That's probably more effective than the boosters currently being administered as the virus has sidestepped them a few variants ago from what I gather.

Most definitely, pile in the vitamin, C, D and K2, etc. You doctor will likely prescribe you vitamin D if you ask too. Ask for a blood test to check your levels, my brothers was down quite a bit.