Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aid worker missing in Ukraine
The son of the people who set up the first charity hospital here has gone missing; he'd been working as part of a team evacuating people & delivering aid there. I hope he & the other missing person are OK.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/1...o-his-work

"A Christchurch aid worker Andrew Bagshaw was working on the frontline of war-torn Ukraine when he went missing.
The 47-year-old geneticist from Christchurch has not been heard from for more than 48 hours.
He had been working as part of a team of Ukrainian and international volunteers delivering aid and evacuating citizens, in Ukraine since April.
His parents, founders of the Canterbury Charity Hospital, Philip and Dame Susan Bagshaw, confirmed on Monday their son had been reported missing.
Powell said Bagshaw had not been heard from for 48 hours and while that did not sound like a long time it was an eternity given the environment he was working in.
Bagshaw was working in Soledar, a city in the Bakhmut region.
Powell said he believed the outskirts of Soledar had been taken by the Russians, but the centre was still under Ukraine control. However, that information was three days old and the situation could have changed, he said.
Bagshaw was working as part of a team of volunteers and it was them who raised the alarm.
The evacuations he conducted were often carried out while under fire from Russian forces.
Powell said he understood Bagshaw was with a British national, who was also missing."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Well as Tana Umaga said "we aren't playing tiddly winks" - this is the danger of working In a war zone.

Hopefully he will turn up OK
One of my favourite life lessons - no good deed goes unpunished...
(09-01-2023, 05:00 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: One of my favourite life lessons - no good deed goes unpunished...

True, that.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Quite sad to hear, but hopefully some good news comes out that they are safe and well.
I applaud Bagshaw for his Couage of Conviction
I'd like to see him & the other aid worker emerge unscathed but the longer it is, the more unlikely it seems & that's got to be tough on his family.
The Russians are like Orcs, if you mess around with them be prepared for disaster.

I grew up in Central Africa, we used to see New Zealanders and other nationalities wandering around like babes in the woods, and think how naive and foolish they were thinking that good works and deeds would fix the problems.

For instance, look at the gang problems over here and they are in the minority, think of how it is when the offenders outnumber the good guys 20 to one and have been told their resentment is justified because of colonialism exploitation etc.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(14-01-2023, 11:15 AM)zqwerty Wrote: The Russians are like Orcs, if you mess around with them be prepared for disaster.

I grew up in Central Africa, we used to see New Zealanders and other nationalities wandering around like babes in the woods, and think how naive and foolish they were thinking that good works and deeds would fix the problems.

For instance, look at the gang problems over here and they are in the minority, think of how it is when the offenders outnumber the good guys 20 to one and have been told their resentment is justified because of colonialism exploitation etc.

And what would you suggest, then? Drop a nuclear bomb on Putin, which would devastate most of Russia & probably kill Russians, including those who protested against the invasion of Ukraine?
Rolleyes

Without good works & deeds, try imaging just how much worse our planet might be...
Sometimes there are situations and problems for which there are no solutions.

Israelis and Palestinians for example. Tutsi and Hutu. The Middle East in general.

Soon as the climate refugees start arriving we will have our own big set of problems just like a lot of the rest of the Western world.

Sometimes your best is not only not good enough, it's laughable
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
His body has been found, presumable the other man, Chris Parry was also killed.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3007916...hat-he-did