Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
$13 for a buttercup squash (pumpkin)
I know pumpkins are not in season yet but my local New world have little green buttercup squash for $13 and grey pumpkins for $18. It’s totally insane!!! So glad I have about 6 pumpkin plants in my garden I just have to wait till March to harvest them.
Big Grin
grow your own!
I spread compost, punkins appear. Lots of baby fruit, but so far with all the rain most are not getting past the baby stage. But the beans and tomatoes and lettuces and kale and spinach and rocket and onions and silverbeet and peas did well. Second crop now planting...

Big Grin
(11-01-2023, 12:17 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I spread compost, punkins appear. Lots of baby fruit, but so far with all the rain most are not getting past the baby stage. But the beans and tomatoes and lettuces and kale and spinach and rocket and onions and silverbeet and peas did well. Second crop now planting...

Big Grin

Your garden sounds amazing!! We haven’t had much rain here, everything is so dry. A lack of bees means I have to hand pollinate the wee pumpkins and the bottle gourds. 
We have extended our veggie patch this year. Growing vertically up metal panels for the first time. So good to walk out to the garden and see what’s good for dinner Smile

Need to get a second crop in soon too Smile

(11-01-2023, 12:16 PM)nzoomed Wrote: grow your own!

Always best!!! 

Just wish they grew a bit faster. Smile
My garden is tiny! So I invested in big pots and vast bags of potting mix. The beauty of that is I can put them against warm brick walls which means I get a jump start on seedlings and can companion plant. My neighbours are very patient with me blocking their courtyard with jungles, but they do like getting a handful of beans or whatever.

And gardening stops me killing people.
(11-01-2023, 01:19 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: My garden is tiny! So I invested in big pots and vast bags of potting mix. The beauty of that is I can put them against warm brick walls which means I get a jump start on seedlings and can companion plant. My neighbours are very patient with me blocking their courtyard with jungles, but they do like getting a handful of beans or whatever.

Bloody daylight robbery! Enough to give the Scots ancestry conniptions! Big Grin

I've one or two self sown ones coming up out there, if they survive I'll have to examine them carefully for signs of gold leaf. Rolleyes
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Walked into my vege garden just now, after not bothering because it's been raining so much. Well, they have been busy haven't they ? I'm gunna make cucumber stew.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(11-01-2023, 12:17 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I spread compost, punkins appear. Lots of baby fruit, but so far with all the rain most are not getting past the baby stage. But the beans and tomatoes and lettuces and kale and spinach and rocket and onions and silverbeet and peas did well. Second crop now planting...

Big Grin

I won't bore you with how I discovered this, but immature pumpkins/squash are good to eat if you treat them the same as zucchini, i.e. leave the rind intact, sauté briefly in butter or olive oil until just tender.
(11-01-2023, 06:45 PM)Olive Wrote:

Big Grin

I won't bore you with how I discovered this, but immature pumpkins/squash are good to eat if you treat them the same as zucchini, i.e. leave the rind intact, sauté briefly in butter or olive oil until just tender.

I am definitely going to try that! Thank you!

Big Grin

I'll be trying that one, cheers. Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(11-01-2023, 01:19 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: My garden is tiny! So I invested in big pots and vast bags of potting mix. The beauty of that is I can put them against warm brick walls which means I get a jump start on seedlings and can companion plant. My neighbours are very patient with me blocking their courtyard with jungles, but they do like getting a handful of beans or whatever.

Love your last comment!! Hilarious!!
Thanks for the laugh Smile

(11-01-2023, 02:22 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:

Bloody daylight robbery! Enough to give the Scots ancestry conniptions! Big Grin

I've one or two self sown ones coming up out there, if they survive I'll have to examine them carefully for signs of gold leaf. Rolleyes
It’s crazy isn’t it!!

All the best with those golden pumpkins Smile

Big Grin

I do this also. If they are not polluted you can still eat them no problemsSmilejust get them before they go bad.