Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
External hard drive - adapter
I've been plugging in an old Maxtor 500GB external drive via a surge protector once a week to do backups. Last time I plugged it in the adapter immediately went pop and tripped the whole electrical circuit. The socket on the surge protector seems OK.
Is it likely to be just an adapter problem or is the drive itself more likely to be fried?
I don't have another adapter to try it on but would hunt for one if there's a reasonable chance of success.
I don't actually need anything off the drive but would prefer to recycle rather than just have a paperweight if possible. I've started using another drive for backups.
if its affecting the power circuits i'd be inclined to think it is the PSU - it could be worth trying another one. But there is also the possibility that the dodgy power supply has also fried the hdd circuitry; depends on how it failed really.
Also the drive enclosure circuitry could fail, the drive itself can be ok...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Thanks for that info. Sounds like it's probably not worth chasing a replacement adapter but I'll keep the unit around in case an adapter comes my way in the future.
In the event of it not working with another adapter, I understand that it could be a blown TVS diode but I have no idea where to find it on the PCB so I'm unlikely to pull the thing to bits looking for it.
Also, even if the drive itself is OK, I have nowhere else to use it. The only desktop I have with space for it has had issues in the past with not finding a disk to boot from, but having got it going again, I am reluctant to disturb things.