Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
delusional climate activists.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/...extraction

I dont see them providing any solution to the problem

How will I power my car without oil?
Are they going to buy me an EV?
Have they kicked you off the other place, that you have to come here and troll?
I do have other cameras!
(17-01-2023, 01:50 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/...extraction

Really? I think perhaps the term 'delusional' is far more appropriately applied to those who prefer to ignore the situation & want to destroy a village in order to have yet another coal mine.
Among other things.

Rolleyes Dodgy
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(17-01-2023, 01:50 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/...extraction

In 10, if not 5, years you won't be able to buy an internal combustion engine vehicle and EVs will have reduced in price to less than that of an ICE car anyway.

We have no problem running both our vehicles without oil, and with our own PV generation we hardly have to rely on the national grid either. Welcome to the future Cool 

[Image: 1875648637.jpg]
David Attenborough is a climate activist. Delusional?

Stupid boy.
(17-01-2023, 03:52 PM)harm_less Wrote:

In 10, if not 5, years you won't be able to buy an internal combustion engine vehicle and EVs will have reduced in price to less than that of an ICE car anyway.

We have no problem running both our vehicles without oil, and with our own PV generation we hardly have to rely on the national grid either. Welcome to the future Cool 

In the meantime many of us still need oil who cannot afford an EV yet.
You also need oil to produce bitumen for the roads you need to drive your EV on.
(17-01-2023, 05:41 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(17-01-2023, 03:52 PM)harm_less Wrote: In 10, if not 5, years you won't be able to buy an internal combustion engine vehicle and EVs will have reduced in price to less than that of an ICE car anyway.

In the meantime many of us still need oil who cannot afford an EV yet.
You also need oil to produce bitumen for the roads you need to drive your EV on.

We need oil to make plastics. Important plastics. Medical plastics, not coke bottles.  We need oil for far more important things than powering combustion engines.

That isn't delusional. It's common sense.
(17-01-2023, 06:07 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(17-01-2023, 05:41 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: In the meantime many of us still need oil who cannot afford an EV yet.

We need oil to make plastics. Important plastics. Medical plastics, not coke bottles.  We need oil for far more important things than powering combustion engines.

Exactly my point, although there is a push to shift away from plastics in some areas

It's delusional to say we need to stop drilling for oil for this very reason.
Ironically if we shift away from fuel burning cars, then the flammable hydrocarbons will be a useless byproduct unless it can be synsythised into other products likely plastics and polymers.
(17-01-2023, 06:15 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(17-01-2023, 06:07 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: We need oil to make plastics. Important plastics. Medical plastics, not coke bottles.  We need oil for far more important things than powering combustion engines.

Exactly my point, although there is a push to shift away from plastics in some areas

Ironically if we shift away from fuel burning cars, then the flammable hydrocarbons will be a useless byproduct unless it can be synsythised into other products likely plastics and polymers.

So why are you calling activists delusional, if in fact you agree with them?
(17-01-2023, 06:07 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: We need oil to make plastics. Important plastics. Medical plastics, not coke bottles.  We need oil for far more important things than powering combustion engines.

Exactly.   Nobody is suggesting that we revert to a pre-plastic society, but it is crucial to limit oil use and not fritter it away on useless consumerism and packaging for unhealthy food and drink.
We're constantly looking for alternatives to plastics; seaweed may be a possibility. Or not; but the important thing is that we're aware of the problem & attempting to change things for the better, in various ways.

https://ec.europa.eu/research-and-innova...e-plastics
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(17-01-2023, 06:18 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(17-01-2023, 06:15 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Exactly my point, although there is a push to shift away from plastics in some areas

So why are you calling activists delusional, if in fact you agree with them?
I don't agree with them! They are protesting against oil drilling, and as we can both agree, oil is still needed for plastics and other chemicals, etc.
(17-01-2023, 06:15 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:

There is an increasing amount of plastics being manufactured from plants. Technology is also developing the use of alternative resources (to hydrocarbons) for combustion requirements, but the biggest challenge facing us is to stop burning stuff, and especially hydrocarbon products.

We've allowed hydrocarbon derived products to dominate our lifestyles over the last century or so and the same innovative skills that have led to that will also provide us with the next phase of human development. Changing from a fossil fueled society to an electronic one will be a substantial effort and will of course cost us in time, money and resources but the alternative is to continue down a path that will likely result in a planet that life as we know it cannot survive on. I don't think we really have any choice in the matter.
(17-01-2023, 06:42 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(17-01-2023, 06:18 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: So why are you calling activists delusional, if in fact you agree with them?
I don't agree with them! They are protesting against oil drilling, and as we can both agree, oil is still needed for plastics and other chemicals, etc.

The fact is we do not need more oil. We need to stop wasting what we have on ridiculously selfish processes and products, most of which have perfectly viable alternatives.
Henry Ford made a car from soy bean plastic in 1941. Here he is laying into it with an axe. sorry, no photo of the end result....

[Image: Henry-Ford-with-axe-trunk-likd-.jpg?resi...C389&ssl=1]
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(17-01-2023, 08:02 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(17-01-2023, 06:15 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Exactly my point, although there is a push to shift away from plastics in some areas

There is an increasing amount of plastics being manufactured from plants. Technology is also developing the use of alternative resources (to hydrocarbons) for combustion requirements, but the biggest challenge facing us is to stop burning stuff, and especially hydrocarbon products.

We've allowed hydrocarbon derived products to dominate our lifestyles over the last century or so and the same innovative skills that have led to that will also provide us with the next phase of human development. Changing from a fossil fueled society to an electronic one will be a substantial effort and will of course cost us in time, money and resources but the alternative is to continue down a path that will likely result in a planet that life as we know it cannot survive on. I don't think we really have any choice in the matter.
The biggest issue with bioplastics is the amount of land needed to grow food such as corn which would otherwise get eaten get wasted into making more single use plastics. Alot of coffee cup lids are made from PLA for example. What about all the energy consumed to produce the stuff?
Plastic sucks, but some environmentalists do t like the thought of burning it in waste to energy plants, but that's the best way to get rid of the stuff out of the environment.
Did you know they can actually make the same polyethylene polymers out of plants now? Those new plant based anchor milk bottles are made of it and can go in your normal recycling, ironically that stuff doesn't readily break down and yet is derived from plants. Mind you I haven't seen them on the shelves lately, perhaps anchor has discontinued them? They not only cost more to consumers who choose to buy them but they were not the "light proof" type either.
Should just go back to glass bottles and refill them like the old days.