Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is this what this place has come to now?
There are several people on here that when others disagree with them especially about the government they just go loopy and tend to put the other person down as nastily as they can. 
I thought this place was for having intelligent discussion and not tit for tat put downs, we have a lot of new members on here now and it seems as though the old hands are doing there best to make them unwelcome by insulting them instead of having a discussion and if this continues they just may bugger off to the other message board, Im disgusted at some of the remarks made on here by the old hands and I would love to say my piece but then that would make me as bad as they are, so come on TMMB get your shit together.
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
(21-01-2023, 08:53 AM)Oldfellah Wrote: There are several people on here that when others disagree with them especially about the government they just go loopy and tend to put the other person down as nastily as they can. 
I thought this place was for having intelligent discussion and not tit for tat put downs, we have a lot of new members on here now and it seems as though the old hands are doing there best to make them unwelcome by insulting them instead of having a discussion and if this continues they just may bugger off to the other message board, Im disgusted at some of the remarks made on here by the old hands and I would love to say my piece but then that would make me as bad as they are, so come on TMMB get your shit together.

I know what you mean but my experience of the 'other message board' is worse and I no longer visit it. I don't write many messages on this one either as have had depressing experiences, I just come in and look at a couple of messages just in case there is anything interesting.
But that has always happened - on Trademe I didn't fit in either but didn't care as it's good to be unique and I know my thoughts are different to most people.

At my time of life (75) I have just kept all my smartest and nicest friends in real life. Sadly becoming fewer as they die off and move away from Auckland.
I wish you all the best Oldfellah and enjoy your posts - keep it up.  Wink
I must say I did rather enjoy letting my dark side out for a walk recently, in response to a particularly odious post.

I'm sorry if the wrong people were offended by it, but I'm still glad I let fly...

Big Grin
(21-01-2023, 09:43 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I must say I did rather enjoy letting my dark side out for a walk recently, in response to a particularly odious post.

I'm sorry if the wrong people were offended by it, but I'm still glad I let fly...

Big Grin

I think the reaction to the arrivals has been relatively OK; when you consider what goes on in other forums, its been mild by comparison.
Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
If people want to stir, they can expect to get stirred back...I don't see a problem. I don't like moaners, in real life or online, and ignore in both areas...but no ignore button. I'm all for discussion too, but not a onesided bash of their ideas. One thing I enjoy in life is getting my biased view changed by new ideas...not because one person said so, but because they fed me information that allowed me to see a different side of the situation.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
I would like to think we have the balance right here, it is far less toxic than other boards which I kinda like, but even under these circumstances there are still going to be contentious issues raised and emotional responses to them...

Our rules on the matter are simple
Quote:2 a. "Flames" or insults towards any other member (critiquing what a member says and does is fine - comments about who and what they are, is not)
https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?tid=572

Any transgressions of that should be reported, even for admins and mods - we are subject to the same rules...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
It might be a while though, before the social change around hate speech actually registers in some minds.
 So until then, I guess we rely on the rules.

I read an interesting quote today, attributed to Goethe. It was along the lines of 'what we attribute to conspiracy is more easily explained by stupidity'. One of the reasons I am fiercely in support of widening our access to education, because it seems to me stupid people are often the worst abusers through their own ignorance, as are those who fall so easily into believing the crap fed to them by those with rat cunning and axes to grind...
(21-01-2023, 12:21 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: It might be a while though, before the social change around hate speech actually registers in some minds.
 So until then, I guess we rely on the rules.

I read an interesting quote today, attributed to Goethe. It was along the lines of 'what we attribute to conspiracy is more easily explained by stupidity'. One of the reasons I am fiercely in support of widening our access to education, because it seems to me stupid people are often the worst abusers through their own ignorance, as are those who fall so easily into believing the crap fed to them by those with rat cunning and axes to grind...
... and a profit motive...

It should be realized that The PressF1 Crew have been on their old site for a very long time (most more than 10 years and longer) before its demise. They know each other by name very well and are used to discussing contentious issues and getting quite heated in the Chat section of PressF1, it has gone on for years. PressF1 section was reserved to discuss computer issues.

I don't want to name anyone, but, some have always been obstreperous and reactive, no real problem you just have to get to know who they are. Also trolling to get a reaction is quite common and keeps the site lively.

Lastly I would like to say that some older members and younger ones as well from PressF1 have a great deal of expertise when it comes to Windows computers and laptops.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(21-01-2023, 08:35 PM)zqwerty Wrote: It should be realized that The PressF1 Crew have been on their old site for a very long time (most more than 10 years and longer) before its demise.  They know each other by name very well and are used to discussing contentious issues and getting quite heated in the Chat section of PressF1, it has gone on for years.  PressF1 section was reserved to discuss computer issues.

I don't want to name anyone, but, some have always been obstreperous and reactive, no real problem you just have to get to know who they are.  Also trolling to get a reaction is quite common and keeps the site lively.

Lastly I would like to say that some older members and younger ones as well from PressF1 have a great deal of expertise when it comes to Windows computers and laptops.

It was you guys that I didnt want some of our more outspoken old hands to scare off shall we say, I realise that there are idiots among us and I can say I have been there more than once. So long as you dont let them get to you all is good, yes I can understand that being in a large group you guys would get to know one another which is good, I browse through your board in here and have picked up a few good things to try and its about time a dedicated computer group was on here so if i see you guys slinging off at each other Ill put it down to familiarity.  Big Grin
WE have had people leave the old site PressF1 for good in bitterness because of heated disagreements.

One was over the debate about where would you put a pair of new tyres, if you had a set of four bald tyres on the car at present, for maximum safety and the other, I believe, was over carrying a Magnum 44 pistol to dispatch a bear if it was necessary whilst fishing in Montana which was where the person who left was living.

I would have said that it was far more likely that tough hardened PressF1'ers would drive off T.M.M.B.'ers not the other way around LOL.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
Whaaat? You mean you are just going to let the opportunity for a good stoush float by, without even giving it a good poke?

Not this kid...  Big Grin
"Not this kid... Big Grin"

Yes, Oh_hunnihunni, that's the spirit, good on you.
(22-01-2023, 08:30 AM)zqwerty Wrote: "Not this kid...  Big Grin"

Yes, Oh_hunnihunni, that's the spirit, good on you.

My Dad was a big tease. He loved having us kids and any other gullible soul on - at length, and so I was conditioned at an early age to never let a chance go by. And it is good for what ails us to throw a good tantie every now and then, blows the fufu valves clear of built up soot and reminds us that life isn't supposed to be a smooth journey, even when we have reached our use by dates and some...

And after all, it is a choice, this taking other figments of the internet seriously.
I know what you mean, Oldfella. I recently posted an article "Space is Huge. . . ." the information which I obtained from the religious Hope channel. At the end of the post I acknowledged where I had obtained the information from and the article was rubbished by one of the members of this forum, not because it was thought not factual but simply because it came from a religious channel. The article was very interesting and very educational, was not pushing religion and I received quite a few positive comments but the atheist bigot said it had no credence simply because of its origin.

As you will be aware, I have recently joined this forum and have had a mostly positive experience so I am not taking the attitude of this bigot as an example of the people on this forum. I have put him on my ignore list so I do not expect to see any of his bigoted ramblings in the future.
(22-01-2023, 09:50 AM)Roscoe Wrote: I know what you mean, Oldfella. I recently posted an article "Space is Huge. . . ." the information which I obtained from the religious Hope channel. At the end of the post I acknowledged where I had obtained the information from and the article was rubbished by one of the members of this forum, not because it was thought not factual but simply because it came from a religious channel. The article was very interesting and very educational, was not pushing religion and I received quite a few positive comments but the atheist bigot said it had no credence simply because of its origin.

As you will be aware, I have recently joined this forum and have had a mostly positive experience so I am not taking the attitude of this bigot as an example of the people on this forum. I have put him on my ignore list so I do not expect to see any of his bigoted ramblings in the future.

Good on ya Roscoe, you should be able to post about anything without being rubbished about its origin etc. As in any group unfortunately there are bigots and there are know it alls and there are the ones that truly believe that their answer is the only answer. You will come to know who these people are and just ignore them as I do.
(22-01-2023, 09:50 AM)Roscoe Wrote: I know what you mean, Oldfella. I recently posted an article "Space is Huge. . . ." the information which I obtained from the religious Hope channel. At the end of the post I acknowledged where I had obtained the information from and the article was rubbished by one of the members of this forum, not because it was thought not factual but simply because it came from a religious channel. The article was very interesting and very educational, was not pushing religion and I received quite a few positive comments but the atheist bigot said it had no credence simply because of its origin.

How'd I miss that one, kinda went sideways rather quickly didn't it? 

Keep up the good work Roscoe, you do post some thought provoking stuff...

I have gone back to that post and have clicked the report button.

I do understand that you cannot expect to pick up everything.

Because I am new here I did not think to report him. I have not come across that attitude on my previous forum, PF1.
But even bigots have a right to post  and challenge our posts, our attitudes, our biases. I am bigoted on some subjects, not on others, I think we all are. The trick I use is to score posts that irritate me on a scale of ten. The higher the score, the more MY irritation, and that really determines how I choose to respond. My choice, my response, to my irritation -and my responsibility - not the original post or posters.

We are adults. What we post is our responsibility, as is how we respond. 

And we always have the option of not responding at all. That is a reaction in itself.  Especially when some other poor fool has chosen to openly display their level of intelligence...

(22-01-2023, 10:50 AM)Roscoe Wrote: I have gone back to that post and have clicked the report button.

I do understand that you cannot expect to pick up everything.

Because I am new here I did not think to report him. I have not come across that attitude on my previous forum, PF1.

I don't report many posts. I do rate them though. Reward good behaviour, and refuse to respond to bad, just as I was taught when learning how to parent...
(21-01-2023, 08:35 PM)zqwerty Wrote: It should be realized that The PressF1 Crew have been on their old site for a very long time (most more than 10 years and longer) before its demise.  They know each other by name very well and are used to discussing contentious issues and getting quite heated in the Chat section of PressF1, it has gone on for years.  PressF1 section was reserved to discuss computer issues.

I don't want to name anyone, but, some have always been obstreperous and reactive, no real problem you just have to get to know who they are.  Also trolling to get a reaction is quite common and keeps the site lively.

Yep, some of the "Conversations" could get quite heated at times.  Lipssealed
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.