Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Serena Williams now baptized as a Jehovah's Witness
It was always common knowledge that she claimed to be "in" the religion,  but she was never officially a member until now.
Such a shame that such a respected feminist icon that woman could look up to is now part of a misogynistic cult.
I would have never considered her someone who lived up to the strict standards the cult requires of their members and has largely lived a double life, waiting to retire from her career to officially become a member.
Expect to see way less public appearances of her from now on.
I wonder how long she will stay a member?
She isint the first celebrity to become a JW, we had prince and I know when I was a member of the cult that many didn't consider him to be a genuine member.
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/tennis/1...s-news/amp
There must be a bit of competition between the JWs and Scientology to attract all the high profile stars...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
If a friend or family member of mine decided to join a religious organisation and as long as they didn't bombard me with there ideology about it and as long as they wernt being harmed or harming others I would say go for it because its their business not mine.
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
(22-01-2023, 10:44 AM)Oldfellah Wrote: If a friend or family member of mine decided to join a religious organisation and as long as they didn't bombard me with there ideology about it and as long as they wernt being harmed or harming others I would say go for it because its their business not mine.

Yes exactly - as long as they're not harming anyone & it meets their need for a belief system, then its their business. And there's always the chance that at a future point they might change their views.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I quite agree, Oldfella.

I'm quite happy for you to believe what you will. I may not agree with you but if that's what you want to believe then go ahead.

For example, homosexuality has almost become respectable in this country but I think that it is unnatural and unacceptable, but if that is what you want to do, go ahead, as long as you don't attempt to convince me or my children that it is alright. That is where I draw the line. On the other hand I have found most homosexuals that I have met to be nice and acceptable and have no problem with them just as long as they keep their attitudes to themselves.
She better not come knocking on my door - she'd smash it !
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(21-01-2023, 03:59 PM)king1 Wrote: There must be a bit of competition between the JWs and Scientology to attract all the high profile stars...
It certainly does appear that way.
(22-01-2023, 11:00 AM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(22-01-2023, 10:44 AM)Oldfellah Wrote: If a friend or family member of mine decided to join a religious organisation and as long as they didn't bombard me with there ideology about it and as long as they wernt being harmed or harming others I would say go for it because its their business not mine.

Yes exactly - as long as they're not harming anyone & it meets their need for a belief system, then its their business. And there's always the chance that at a future point they might change their views.
It might not hurt you or me, but it affects lives around them if they are indeed following their rules.
After I left, all my family and friends cut me off, but it can go the other way round too. Lots of members who join the religion wi cut off their family who are not members.
When you go knocking on doors and potentially converting someone, you are inadvertently ruining another person's life indirectly.
Thankfully I never had any luck converting anyone when I did it, I never really put much effort into it like many do.
When they have knocked on my door I usually say sure they can come in and Ill listen to what they have to say then I follow it up with Im a practicing nudist so they can feel free to leave there clothes at the door and Ill be back in a minute as soon as I have taken mine off, funny thing is they decide to leave  Big Grin Big Grin
Found a letter in my box today, hand written address, and inside a hand written letter, a card and pamphlet. ''Dear Neighbour '' , all very nice, references to Mathew and Psalms and stuff. Go to JW.ORG. It's in the bin. I wonder who she is...no not Serena. Next door are Mormons, so not them. ?????
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(22-01-2023, 05:49 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Found a letter in my box today, hand written address, and inside a hand written letter, a card and pamphlet. ''Dear Neighbour '' , all very nice, references to Mathew and Psalms and stuff. Go to JW.ORG.  It's in the bin.  I wonder who she is...no not Serena.  Next door are Mormons, so not them.  ?????

hahaha you should have put it in the Mormons letter box  Big Grin
(22-01-2023, 06:09 PM)Oldfellah Wrote:
(22-01-2023, 05:49 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Found a letter in my box today, hand written address, and inside a hand written letter, a card and pamphlet. ''Dear Neighbour '' , all very nice, references to Mathew and Psalms and stuff. Go to JW.ORG.  It's in the bin.  I wonder who she is...no not Serena.  Next door are Mormons, so not them.  ?????

hahaha you should have put it in the Mormons letter box  Big Grin

I like that idea! Big Grin Big Grin

Years ago when my Dad died, I received a couple of letters from religious types. One had included their address so I replied with my view of those who attempt tp push their beliefs onto grieving families.

Never heard back.. Rolleyes
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Whenever Xtians arrive at my door to proselytize, I tell them I am an old style Anglican/Protestant (which is true) and I am not interested in Mickey Mouse religions from America.

They generally leave.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche