Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poor suffering farmers - yeah right...
Quote:In a seven-hour effort, Ng and his staff mowed a giant message into a field, directly under a flight path to Auckland Airport, writing: “End of an error”.

Taking to social media, Ng posted a video of the process, revealing it took three people seven hours to create, with each letter roughly 40 metres in length.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/end-of-an-...RY4OZ3QGI/

I'm sure there is an irony somewhere here, investing 21 labour hours in a protest while pleading poverty...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
There's a meme in there, a variant of Old Man Shakes Fist at Sky. I wonder if the workers were paid.
Farmers are no strangers to hypocrisy. Case in point is their denial of any responsibility for, and in many cases even the existence of, climate change yet they're all too quick in putting their hands out whenever increasing and severe weather events impact their operations. Living in their own lifestyle bubbles in many cases I would suggest.
When being really really petty takes such a big effort its gone beyond pettiness & is on the border of obsession surely.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
They are lucky to have the jobs they have supplying the nation with economic food not trying to get the highest prices they can overseas and shortage supplying the home market to get the maximum prices here.

Government needs to step in with regulation of the marketplace including , electricity, petrol, food, no exporting until the home market is well supplied with reasonably priced food.

Nationalization has failed as a policy because it hasn't delivered lower prices promised, we are being ripped off at every turn.

New right economic policies are a failed nonsense and should be forgotten. Trickle-down is a joke.

We need to setup Fortress New Zealand, while we still have time.

Electrify the main trunk line, diversify, diversify, diversify.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(24-01-2023, 09:20 PM)zqwerty Wrote: They are lucky to have the jobs they have supplying the nation with economic food not trying to get the highest prices they can overseas and shortage supplying the home market to get the maximum prices here.

Government needs to step in with regulation of the marketplace including , electricity, petrol, food, no exporting until the home market is well supplied with reasonably priced food.

Nationalization has failed as a policy because it hasn't delivered lower prices promised, we are being ripped off at every turn.

New right economic policies are a failed nonsense and should be forgotten.  Trickle-down is a joke.

We had the time and opportunity to get this message during the covid years, remember the calls for a New Normal? But it didn't happen. Just as soon as we could we grabbed total amnesia and went back to old bad habits.

I suspect climate change will suffer the same wilful ignorance and our grandchildren will be the ones forced into decisive action as the waves take the ground their parents stood on.

Humanity is a stupid selfcentred species.
"grandchildren"

much sooner than that.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
I may be wrong and I usually am, but it looks so perfect and I really wondered if it was photoshoped, If you look at it everything seems so perfect.
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
(25-01-2023, 08:31 AM)Oldfellah Wrote: I may be wrong and I usually am, but it looks so perfect and I really wondered if it was photoshoped, If you look at it everything seems so perfect.
There appear to be at least three different aerial shots of this in various online reports so unlikely that they are all fakes. Also the article states that the farmer used GPS to guide his efforts and that would give him the accuracy to do a 'perfect' job.
Did the ignorant fool mean "error" or era?

Either way awkward and inappropriate.
a play on words no doubt
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Full on national supporters are not known for their subtlety.

I suppose for some reason he didn't get a Covid payout, perhaps market gardeners were not eligible?
(24-01-2023, 09:20 PM)zqwerty Wrote: They are lucky to have the jobs they have supplying the nation with economic food not trying to get the highest prices they can overseas and shortage supplying the home market to get the maximum prices here.

New right economic policies are a failed nonsense and should be forgotten.  Trickle-down is a joke.

I'd have to agree with most of that, & its possible that most countries may eventually be forced to do likewise as things worsen.

I've heard 'trickle down' described as the rich pissing on the poor - & that makes sense.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
"Government needs to step in with regulation of the marketplace including , electricity, petrol, food, no exporting until the home market is well supplied with reasonably priced food."

That sounds like Venezuela; look it up if you aren't familiar.

When prices are fixed, inevitably the incentive to produce/distrubute is removed (because the profit is no longer there) and you just end up with shortages.

High prices/rampant inflation isn't caused by supplier greed, but by too much government meddling making it more expensive for suppliers to produce goods.

That exported produce is what pays for that which we need to import. In particular the petrol (and other fossil fuels) we use has long been sourced from offshore so how could we minimise that I wonder? Perhaps upgrading our transport fleet to run on the electricity we have in significant quantities, with most of it from renewable generation methods, we could gain increased self sufficiency. Just a thought... Huh
I prefer crop circles, they are far more artistic. He couldn't used italics, or cursive to get the point across better.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(24-01-2023, 05:12 PM)harm_less Wrote: Farmers are no strangers to hypocrisy. Case in point is their denial of any responsibility for, and in many cases even the existence of, climate change yet they're all too quick in putting their hands out whenever increasing and severe weather events impact their operations. Living in their own lifestyle bubbles in many cases I would suggest.

Some generalisations are necessary to make a point but this is excessive. There are tens of thousands of farmers and just because some are hypocritical and/or deny climate change, it doesn't by any means mean that all or even most are. In fact, most are head down, working hard, providing food for NZers and export income for the economy so that the city-folk can eat takeaways and buy more plastic rubbish from China.

Many farmers are dividing off areas of farms to provide riparian buffers or to enable natural re-growth. Meanwhile they keep getting hammered from all directions and I certainly don't blame those who give up and get out of it. But that is very sad.. Firstly we need them for FOOD, and secondly of those who give up, the land is likely to grow houses or pine trees in future instead of FOOD. Eventually we'll be importing everything we eat. The amount of food we import now is ridiculous. it will only get worse.

(24-01-2023, 03:23 PM)king1 Wrote:
Quote:In a seven-hour effort, Ng and his staff mowed a giant message into a field, directly under a flight path to Auckland Airport, writing: “End of an error”.

Taking to social media, Ng posted a video of the process, revealing it took three people seven hours to create, with each letter roughly 40 metres in length.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/end-of-an-...RY4OZ3QGI/

I'm sure there is an irony somewhere here, investing 21 labour hours in a protest while pleading poverty...

Like the beneficiaries who spend all their money on drugs, alcohol and takeaways and then hold out their hands? At least this person is running a business and making a reasonable protest that doesn't inconvenience anyone else. Good on him!

(24-01-2023, 03:58 PM)Olive Wrote: There's a meme in there, a variant of Old Man Shakes Fist at Sky.  I wonder if the workers were paid.

I guess whether or how much they were paid is between them and the boss. Maybe they were happy to give time for free just to make the protest. Like al the people who wasted huge amounts of time at Parliament last year. At least this protest didn't damage public property or infringe on the rights of anyone else.

(25-01-2023, 09:20 AM)zqwerty Wrote: Did the ignorant fool mean "error" or era?

Either way awkward and inappropriate.

Why do you think he's an ignorant fool? I'm sure he meant error. Quite which one is not clear - there have been so many.

(25-01-2023, 09:39 AM)zqwerty Wrote: Full on national supporters are not known for their subtlety.

I suppose for some reason he didn't get a Covid payout, perhaps market gardeners were not eligible?

I'm sure his workers would have got the covid subsidy, and he would have got whatever amount was due for his own work in the business. That tided people through the worst of the pandemic, but everyone has now been left high and dry with mounting costs, health system overworked, high rates of absenteeism through illness, etc, because people just don't get that avoiding the disease should be paramount in their lives, Etc. And covid is just the beginning of most people's woes.

(25-01-2023, 01:26 PM)dken31 Wrote: "Government needs to step in with regulation of the marketplace including , electricity, petrol, food, no exporting until the home market is well supplied with reasonably priced food."

That sounds like Venezuela; look it up if you aren't familiar.

When prices are fixed, inevitably the incentive to produce/distrubute is removed (because the profit is no longer there) and you just end up with shortages.

High prices/rampant inflation isn't caused by supplier greed, but by too much government meddling making it more expensive for suppliers to produce goods.

EXACTLY!!!!
"Why do you think he's an ignorant fool?"

Because he's against Jacinda, with out her and with national in power, for instance, we would have done what happened in America with a huge death toll as people were sacrificed for profit and the attempted smooth running of the economy.

An absolute disgrace that she has felt so disturbed by the right wing vile criticism that she left a position she was born for.
(26-01-2023, 08:36 AM)zqwerty Wrote: "Why do you think he's an ignorant fool?"

Because he's against Jacinda, with out her and with national in power, for instance, we would have done what happened in America with a huge death toll as people were sacrificed for profit and the attempted smooth running of the economy.

An absolute disgrace that she has felt so disturbed by the right wing vile criticism that she left a position she was born for.

I have always said that the Labour Government (including its leader - but she was just that - leader) did a great job at the beginning of Covid. Yes, it saved very many lives. But then it all fell apart. Too slow getting vaccines and RAT tests going, the MIQ debacles, etc. Then it was all thrown away when the traffic light system ceased just as it was most needed. So yes, we were given some time and it could have been a hell of a lot worse, but it could also have been a lot better.

But that's just covid. The bit that lefties won't acknowledge is how much mess we are now in from all the government interference in other aspects of our lives. So much that has been done was unnecessary and/or pointless and has increased the cost of living both financially and practically. Many people just cannot afford it.

No one deserves or should get the threats that she had, but she only knows about most of it because she was told. The benefit of the openness of the internet is also it's greatest cost but people who are busy with real life don't do social media or the other garbage. Her decision to leave would have been far more complex than fear of internet extremists.
(26-01-2023, 09:05 AM)SueDonim Wrote: No one deserves or should get the threats that she had, but she only knows about most of it because she was told. The benefit of the openness of the internet is also it's greatest cost but people who are busy with real life don't do social media or the other garbage. Her decision to leave would have been far more complex than fear of internet extremists.
Except I have heard multiple reports that Jacinda was abused/threatened by a member of the public in a Tirua restaurant during her Christmes break which Neve was also witness to. Online abuse is one thing but threats IRL are a whole different issue and that incident could well have been a 'last straw' experience for her.