Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More rain still to come
Hope everyone is all OK.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/i-do-have-...PJWVFFZDU/
(30-01-2023, 07:44 AM)nzoomed Wrote: Hope everyone is all OK.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/i-do-have-...PJWVFFZDU/

Quack quack...  Big Grin
This is bound to drain the insurance companies coffers, lets hope they play nicely but they probably wont, they will have a clause for this and that no doubt. Son and Daughter are in Auckland and talking to them they reckon there is flooding right around their areas but nothing around their houses so lets hope it stays that way, heart goes out to all those that have lost everything, poor buggers.
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
(30-01-2023, 08:24 AM)Oldfellah Wrote: This is bound to drain the insurance companies coffers, lets hope they play nicely but they probably wont, they will have a clause for this and that no doubt. Son and Daughter are in Auckland and talking to them they reckon there is flooding right around their areas but nothing around their houses so lets hope it stays that way, heart goes out to all those that have lost everything, poor buggers.
I hope the people who want to build on the edge of cliffs have paid their fair share on premiums.
Million dollar views should demand premiums that reflect that.
I believe some of these kind of properties are not insurable and that's no surprise.
If the experience of many after the quakes here is any indication, insurance companies will delay, delay, delay as long as they possibly can in the hope that people will just give up & go away.

I'd like to think though, that they might have learned better than to try that again since there was eventually rather a lot of publicity on what they'd done, miserable bastards.

Hope it all gets dealt with fairly & swiftly.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I'm expecting to have to wait a long time for our house to be fixed. Almost got a yellow sticker just now when council guys came round but I must have looked so worried that they looked again and gave a white sticker! Thank goodness, as it will probably take months for insurance to assess, if Christchurch is anything to go by. We're lucky to have a second storey so could save some important stuff but water came in so quickly we couldn't keep up. I haven't checked photos yet. Just wish the rain would stop soon.
(30-01-2023, 02:35 PM)Outsider Wrote: I'm expecting to have to wait a long time for our house to be fixed. Almost got a yellow sticker just now when council guys came round but I must have looked so worried that they looked again and gave a white sticker! Thank goodness, as it will probably take months for insurance to assess, if Christchurch is anything to go by. We're lucky to have a second storey so could save some important stuff but water came in so quickly we couldn't keep up. I haven't checked photos yet. Just wish the rain would stop soon.

Well done for saving some of your stuff, lets hope your photos are ok, they are precious
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
(30-01-2023, 02:35 PM)Outsider Wrote: I'm expecting to have to wait a long time for our house to be fixed. Almost got a yellow sticker just now when council guys came round but I must have looked so worried that they looked again and gave a white sticker! Thank goodness, as it will probably take months for insurance to assess, if Christchurch is anything to go by. We're lucky to have a second storey so could save some important stuff but water came in so quickly we couldn't keep up. I haven't checked photos yet. Just wish the rain would stop soon.

I hope it all goes well for you & your photos are safe.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Yes Aucklanders are about to learn what we learned in Chch after the earthquakes and that is that the phrase "full replacement" which one has been paying for the last forty years or so does not actually mean that.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(30-01-2023, 10:21 PM)zqwerty Wrote: Yes Aucklanders are about to learn what we learned in Chch after the earthquakes and that is that the phrase "full replacement" which one has been paying for the last forty years or so does not actually mean that.
The potential issues generated by these increasingly frequent weather events spreads well beyond Auckland. This piece written by New Plymouth's mayor sums up the problem in keeping up with climate change related damage to our national infrastructure in a well thought through manner.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-daily-n...ged-assets
I'm afraid it is much to late to take any meaningful action, the warnings were given in the 1970's and nobody did much of anything, the rich can move to higher ground to avoid the water rising but for the majority close to the sea it's going to be a disaster.

I include myself in the close to the sea group, I am about a quarter of a km from the sea/estuary in Chch just above sea-level (1 meter maybe) I walk my dog everyday and have been here for eight years now, may just be a local fluctuation but there's a lot more surface water than there used to be when I first got here and it's been a dry year so far.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche