Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prisoners may get time off for donating organs
Grotesque idea - while there are some benefits to this, its  far too open to abuse.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023...-donations

"If it passes into law, then the “program shall allow eligible incarcerated individuals to gain not less than 60 and not more than 365 day reduction in the length of their committed sentence”. Along with the new program, a committee would be established composed of five members responsible for overseeing the scheme. The committee would also decide on eligibility standards for incarcerated individuals interested in the program and “the amount of bone marrow and organ(s) donated to earn one’s sentence to be commuted”.
Currently, the US Federal Bureau of Prisons allows organ donations by inmates only if the recipient is a member of their immediate family, but many state prisons, including those in Massachusetts, have no pathway to organ or bone marrow donation."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
No good donating an organ to me, I cant even play the piano  Big Grin Big Grin
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
(02-02-2023, 02:06 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: No good donating an organ to me, I cant even play the piano  Big Grin Big Grin

Me neither - I did once have a go at violin though. Didn't last, no doubt to the relief of all concerned... Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I donated a hip. I like the metal one much better. And heaps of blood over the years. 

I wonder if they'd give me a backdated credit...
I'd need at least five years off to part with any of my organs - one year off hardly seems worth it...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Some Government Morals and Ethics Committee should be looking at this, the American influence again I bet.

Grotesque is the word.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
Im waiting for an Aorta heart valve, its an organ but its either a cow or pigs one not human oh joy.
(02-02-2023, 05:20 PM)zqwerty Wrote: Some Government Morals and Ethics Committee should be looking at this, the American influence again I bet.

Grotesque is the word.

Yep, it certainly bears looking into; it could be given all kinds of twists & turns at some future point that perhaps no one's considered yet.
(02-02-2023, 05:20 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: Im waiting for an Aorta heart valve, its an organ but its either a cow or pigs one not human oh joy.

If we made one small change to our laws around organ donations - making it an opt out situation rather than an opt in one, we might save a vast amount of very useful human transplant material going to waste.

That and a massive shift in our socio cultural approach to the subject.
But then, isn't the world overpopulated? Nature is trying to work things out and we keep foiling it by living longer, creating life, repairing worn out old people et al?

Ken
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
If you are here you should try to stay on for as long as possible, your knowledge and experience may be useful to younger generations.

What needs to stop is the large families of more than 3 children.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(03-02-2023, 08:28 AM)zqwerty Wrote: If you are here you should try to stay on for as long as possible, your knowledge and experience may be useful to younger generations.

What needs to stop is the large families of more than 3 children.

To have that happen you will have to have use contraception or tell people to stop having sex, no one will take any notice of either one.
Nah. We just line up all adolescent males and give them a nice quick vasectomy and set them loose. It's a scheme modeled on that pest control stategy where they render all the male moths infertile but still able and within a generation population figures start to drop...

Of course, human beings aren't moths and we need to replenish worker generations in order to support us incredibly valuable boomers, so, those adolescent males may be able to bank sperm for future use, to be released on presentation of a signed and certified letter of authority from the financially secure and parenting trained female partner of the sperm donor. Of course we'll need full genetic screening to make sure future generations are mild mannered, non aggressive, good looking, and free from bad habits, along with a range of other desirable traits.

Ahh yes, when I am Queen of the World...

Big Grin
(03-02-2023, 03:49 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(02-02-2023, 05:20 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: Im waiting for an Aorta heart valve, its an organ but its either a cow or pigs one not human oh joy.

If we made one small change to our laws around organ donations - making it an opt out situation rather than an opt in one, we might save a vast amount of very useful human transplant material going to waste.

Yep, agree. I'd really like to see that happen here. Its just the ultimate recycling, really & makes good sense.

(03-02-2023, 09:53 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Nah. We just line up all adolescent males and give them a nice quick vasectomy and set them loose. It's a scheme modeled on that pest control stategy where they render all the male moths infertile but still able and within a generation population figures start to drop...

Of course, human beings aren't moths and we need to replenish worker generations in order to support us incredibly valuable boomers, so, those adolescent males may be able to bank sperm for future use, to be released on presentation of a signed and certified letter of authority from the financially secure and parenting trained female partner of the sperm donor. Of course we'll need full genetic screening to make sure future generations are mild mannered, non aggressive, good looking, and free from bad habits, along with a range of other desirable traits.

Big Grin

I've been saying as much for years - give males the option of a reversible vasectomy on approaching puberty, to be reversed when they mature & want to start a family. And yes, freezing sperm would also work well just in case the vasectomy can't be reversed at a later stage.

And I do like the rest of it too - an end to violence & aggression wouldn't be a bad move, particularly if adopted by every country at the same time. No more sending young men out to kill & maim each other, no more glorifying war...
It just seems common sense  - yet its invariably seen as being radical, fgs.
(03-02-2023, 10:53 AM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(03-02-2023, 03:49 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: If we made one small change to our laws around organ donations - making it an opt out situation rather than an opt in one, we might save a vast amount of very useful human transplant material going to waste.

Yep, agree. I'd really like to see that happen here. Its just the ultimate recycling, really & makes good sense.

(03-02-2023, 09:53 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Nah. We just line up all adolescent males and give them a nice quick vasectomy and set them loose. It's a scheme modeled on that pest control stategy where they render all the male moths infertile but still able and within a generation population figures start to drop...

Big Grin

I've been saying as much for years - give males the option of a reversible vasectomy on approaching puberty, to be reversed when they mature & want to start a family. And yes, freezing sperm would also work well just in case the vasectomy can't be reversed at a later stage.

And I do like the rest of it too - an end to violence & aggression wouldn't be a bad move, particularly if adopted by every country at the same time. No more sending young men out to kill & maim each other, no more glorifying war...

And your answer to this problem is why women will never rule the world lol
(03-02-2023, 11:40 AM)Oldfellah Wrote:
(03-02-2023, 10:53 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: Yep, agree. I'd really like to see that happen here. Its just the ultimate recycling, really & makes good sense.

And your answer to this problem is why women will never rule the world lol

Its never a good idea to count chickens before they're hatched... Big Grin Big Grin