Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ciggies and Grog and photography
Some years ago, late 1980's, I gave up smoking and drinking so as to be able to take up photography where I setup an outside shed into a darkroom lab where I practiced B+W photography and later, a rudimentary colour processing system using tubes and a warm water bath. Temperature was extremely critical with colour printing. I spent a fair bit on my hobby so didn't weaken with the above-mentioned evils again. Cost me heaps but have loved the hobby ever since.

Up until a month ago after moving into a retirement village just before Christmas!!

Nothing to do now, so I am re-finding the pleasure of Bundaberg Rum and Coke again  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin  I have a devilish lot of Flybuys points so am looking at getting some Gin and Tonic as well. The Rum, by the way was in a cupboard, right at the back which I found when packing to move. I must have bought it from our previous home when we shifted 27 years ago.

Oh, how easily we slip into dangerous ways again! SWMBO say that as I am in my 81st year, who cares.   Big Grin Big Grin

Am I wise to do this or will it lead to my soul being taken over by the "Demon Drink"

Ken  Confused

PS didn't find any ciggies thank God! Couldn't afford them now!
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
As the saying goes, everything in moderation... i'm partial to a bacardi and coke on a hot day

As long as the ciggies don't make a comeback i'm sure your soul will be fine...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Go for it, Ken! I hear cigars are good.
I do have other cameras!
(02-02-2023, 04:55 PM)king1 Wrote: As the saying goes, everything in moderation...  i'm partial to a bacardi and coke on a hot day

Oh gosh no, I started at 11 and ended up smoking 2 packs a day for over 20 of the 33 years of addiction. Quit cold turkey! Just the smell of them turns my stomach now.

Ken  Confused
My theory is at 81 you do what you damn well please.

I gave up smoking 4-odd years ago and haven't been drunk since, because when you get drunk you do dumb things....like "bludge" a smoke off someone.

Not a road I want to travel.
(02-02-2023, 05:12 PM)Kenj Wrote:
(02-02-2023, 04:55 PM)king1 Wrote: As the saying goes, everything in moderation...  i'm partial to a bacardi and coke on a hot day

Oh gosh no, I started at 11 and ended up smoking 2 packs a day for over 20 of the 33 years of addiction. Quit cold turkey! Just the smell of them turns my stomach now.

Ken  Confused
Good on you Ken, I started at 15 and resolved to quit leading up to my 40th, a decade or so ago.  Managed to knuckle it a week beforehand and haven't touched them since... The wifey on the other hand...

(02-02-2023, 05:19 PM)allblack Wrote: My theory is at 81 you do what you damn well please.
We have an 18 year old border collie / lab cross - she does what she pleases these days too.

(02-02-2023, 05:33 PM)king1 Wrote:
(02-02-2023, 05:19 PM)allblack Wrote: My theory is at 81 you do what you damn well please.
We have an 18 year old border collie / lab cross - she does what she pleases these days too.

And so she should I would think. My Corgi avatar, Molly was 16 when she crossed the rainbow bridge, led a great life in her last years. I am trying to do the same as she did.

Ken

PS Thats a hell of an age for a big dog. Give her a treat and a hug and pat from me!
(02-02-2023, 05:59 PM)Kenj Wrote:
(02-02-2023, 05:33 PM)king1 Wrote: We have an 18 year old border collie / lab cross - she does what she pleases these days too.

And so she should I would think. My Corgi avatar, Molly was 16 when she crossed the rainbow bridge, led a great life in her last years. I am trying to do the same as she did.

Ken

PS Thats a hell of an age for a big dog. Give her a treat and a hug and pat from me!

will do - her back legs are pretty stuffed but she still manages to get around the house...

Sasha says Hi 

(02-02-2023, 06:22 PM)king1 Wrote:
(02-02-2023, 05:59 PM)Kenj Wrote: And so she should I would think. My Corgi avatar, Molly was 16 when she crossed the rainbow bridge, led a great life in her last years. I am trying to do the same as she did.

Ken

will do - her back legs are pretty stuffed but she still manages to get around the house...

Sasha says Hi 
Awww, who's a beautiful girl then! 

I always reckoned that when the missus wasn't speaking to me, at least the dog still loved me.

Ken
(02-02-2023, 06:28 PM)Kenj Wrote:
(02-02-2023, 06:22 PM)king1 Wrote: will do - her back legs are pretty stuffed but she still manages to get around the house...

Sasha says Hi 
Awww, who's a beautiful girl then! 

I always reckoned that when the missus wasn't speaking to me, at least the dog still loved me.

Ken

If you get a Jaguar they're also prepared to love you anytime.    (Once)

(That's the hairy type of Jaguar, if you get the other sort of Jaguar, mechanics and auto-electricians will welcome you enthusiastically no matter how many times a week you visit - they'll even keep your car safely out of the weather for you for prolonged periods while they're eagerly assisting you to minimise your fuel consumption and tyre wear.)
Wink
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(02-02-2023, 04:28 PM)Kenj Wrote: Some years ago, late 1980's, I gave up smoking and drinking so as to be able to take up photography where I setup an outside shed into a darkroom lab where I practiced B+W photography and later, a rudimentary colour processing system using tubes and a warm water bath. Temperature was extremely critical with colour printing. I spent a fair bit on my hobby so didn't weaken with the above-mentioned evils again. Cost me heaps but have loved the hobby ever since.

Up until a month ago after moving into a retirement village just before Christmas!!

PS didn't find any ciggies thank God! Couldn't afford them now!

Aw, c'mon Kenj. You don't need a darkroom now. With a digital camera (or just a mobile phone) and a laptop you can still do great things. That way you can reward yourself with the odd tipple or three when your piccies come out as you want them.
I gave up smoking 27 years ago and have never looked back, I used to drink (not a lot) until a few years back when I got diagnosed with a heart condition which I hope will be getting fixed up pretty soon according to my surgeon, when thats all over and done with and I have healed by god Ill be having a drink or three.
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
(02-02-2023, 04:28 PM)Kenj Wrote: Nothing to do now, so I am re-finding the pleasure of Bundaberg Rum and Coke again  
All depends on quantity. Becoming a drunk probably wouldn't please your wife but a drink or two won't hurt.Brother has a beer, or two, not more, each day.

I haven't had a smoke for ages now, well ages for me, couple of years. Had one yesterday.But only one.
Yes, so far only about one drink a week does me fine after not letting liquor pass my lips for 37 years.

But...... one ciggie Helen? how could you? I think one ciggie to me would be like a drop of Scotch to an alcoholic. I was so addicted to the rotten things.

Ken Smile
(02-02-2023, 07:26 PM)R2x1 Wrote:
(02-02-2023, 06:28 PM)Kenj Wrote: Awww, who's a beautiful girl then! 

Ken

If you get a Jaguar they're also prepared to love you anytime.    (Once)

(That's the hairy type of Jaguar, if you get the other sort of Jaguar, mechanics and auto-electricians will welcome you enthusiastically no matter how many times a week you visit - they'll even keep your car safely out of the weather for you for prolonged periods while they're eagerly assisting you to minimise your fuel consumption and tyre wear.)
Wink

Sounds like my Spitfire...  Big Grin
Ah the the Spitfire. One of the fastest cars in the world from engine start to auto-shutdown. Prone to spitting fire from behind the dashboard or indeed from any electrical part (except the spark plugs).
Powerful collector of rain, so good at gathering leaks that owners were given honorary Welsh citizenship  A triumph of British "engineering" that was able to match the unreliability of the suspension, bodywork, engine and transmission with the efforts of the grand old master of temperamental mechanical and electrical ineptitude, JOSEPH LUCAS, King Of Darkness, beloved sponsors of auto electricians throughout the world.
(BTW, Lucas fridges are the reason the English drink warm beer.)

Wink
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
It arrived in the driveway one afternoon, ready for me as I rode my Honda in after work. There had been ongoing discussion around my reluctance to get off the bike and into a car, my driving lessons experience with first my father then various other males having been less than enjoyable. So I had foolishly agreed to reattempt the process if and when a nice red E type was the vehicle offered...

But we couldn't afford that, so he who I adored found this candy apple red sporty thing and decided that it might be enough. I did give it a decent try, even managed a couple of road trips behind the wheel, with the top off. The Spitties, not mine. But driving a car was never the same as riding a road bike for me, and while I was happy to pilot the landrover along firebreaks while he wandered through the trees, or take over during long trips for a while, cars just never really were my thing.

So the Spitfire went on to a new owner, and our bank account felt the relief of no more regular mechanic accounts for 'computerised tuning' whatever that was. Mind you, keeping the old rover on the road wasn't a cheap exercise either.

Bikes were so much more economical to run.
(03-02-2023, 05:47 PM)Kenj Wrote: But...... one ciggie Helen? how could you? I think one ciggie to me would be like a drop of Scotch to an alcoholic. I was so addicted to the rotten things.

Ken Smile

I vape.
(04-02-2023, 04:35 PM)piroska Wrote:
(03-02-2023, 05:47 PM)Kenj Wrote: But...... one ciggie Helen? how could you? I think one ciggie to me would be like a drop of Scotch to an alcoholic. I was so addicted to the rotten things.

Ken Smile

I vape.

Really? And there was me thinking you were quite sensible...  Big Grin