Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Router choice?
Router choice?
Currently I have a Huawei HG 659 router with Voyager,  currently Voyager supply Huawei DG8245V either to rent $10 per month or to buy for $150.
So does it matter which router you use or would there be an improvement with another make with out breaking the bank?
Sometimes the ISP supplied have certain features locked (Other times not) Personally I have used Netgear & D-Link ( not a fan of either) TP-Link, and a few other well known brands over the years.
Currently using the ISP Supplied Router from Vodafone, overall its no slower or faster than any of the others, (happy with my 900+ Mbps download speed) only difference I found as mentioned before some features (in this case) are not locked.

Some of the non ISP need to be setup, as they wont "just Work".  Really depends on what you want to get out of the router, just work, or fiddle and adjust.
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
(08-02-2023, 09:37 AM)Wainuitech Wrote: Sometimes the ISP supplied have certain features locked (Other times not) Personally I have used Netgear & D-Link ( not a fan of either) TP-Link, and a few other well known brands over the years.
Currently using the ISP Supplied Router from Vodafone, overall its no slower or faster than any of the others, (happy with my 900+ Mbps download speed) only difference I found as mentioned before some features (in this case) are not locked.

Some of the non ISP need to be setup, as they wont "just Work".  Really depends on what you want to get out of the router, just work, or fiddle and adjust.

I generally thought that Netgear stuff was pretty decent, although I find that they ask good money for them.
D-Link I wouldnt touch with a 10 foot pole.
TP-Link stuff seems pretty decent from what ive observed. The biggest issue i find with some routers is the complexity of setting them up.
I also hate routers that require you to install an app to configure them, im finding that TP-Link is going down that path for some of their gear, makes it easy to set up at times, but I hate having to set up access points that want you to register and install an app to get the thing going, especially when its a client of mine that doesnt have a smartphone and i need to set it up using mine.
(23-03-2023, 12:28 PM)nzoomed Wrote:
(08-02-2023, 09:37 AM)Wainuitech Wrote: Sometimes the ISP supplied have certain features locked (Other times not) Personally I have used Netgear & D-Link ( not a fan of either) TP-Link, and a few other well known brands over the years.

I generally thought that Netgear stuff was pretty decent, although I find that they ask good money for them.
TP-Link stuff seems pretty decent from what ive observed. The biggest issue i find with some routers is the complexity of setting them up.
I also hate routers that require you to install an app to configure them, im finding that TP-Link is going down that path for some of their gear, makes it easy to set up at times, but I hate having to set up access points that want you to register and install an app to get the thing going, especially when its a client of mine that doesnt have a smartphone and i need to set it up using mine.
Generally find with TP-Link ( or any other brand) that asks for a Phone setup, if you run an IP Scanner, something Like Advanced IP Scanner, you can locate the IP address the router has given a Device, ( it will name it) like an Access Point, and manually log in Via a browser at what ever IP, change it to a static IP of your choosing, then at any time manually enter the device by its IP.
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
I tend to stick with tp link - never liked dlink, netcomm are ok but imo focus more on form than function. Huawei, yeah well...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(23-03-2023, 06:37 PM)Wainuitech Wrote:
(23-03-2023, 12:28 PM)nzoomed Wrote: I generally thought that Netgear stuff was pretty decent, although I find that they ask good money for them.
Generally find with TP-Link ( or any other brand) that asks for a Phone setup, if you run an IP Scanner, something Like Advanced IP Scanner, you can locate the IP address the router has given a Device, ( it will name it) like an Access Point, and manually log in Via a browser at what ever IP, change it to a static IP of your choosing, then at any time manually enter the device by its IP.

Yeah, I end up using angry IP scanner to find it if its on an oddball subnet, but running ipconfig usually is enough to tell you the gateway IP.
Although ive seen that some brands are using some real sneaky tricks to force you to use an app and/or register. Sometimes there is fine print in the corner to click on advanced setup to skip all the registration, etc.
The right router for you depends on your unique requirements and preferences. Take your time to research and find a router that aligns with your internet plan, household needs, and budget.
I usually use the one that sits on top of the PC, it's a shame that the signal has to go uphill from the entry point, but it does mean the WIFI goes downhill from there to me. and that's the bit that needs some help. Luckily I'm in a valley, so the incoming signal has a good turn of speed as it enters the house. A bit of a handicap with the uploads, but that is going to somebody else so it only slows them down.

Swings and roundabouts eh?

Wink
Entropy is not what
it used to be.