Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Great Flood
I'm certain everybody has heard of the world flood mentioned in The Bible. It is said that it rained for 40 days and 40 nights.

Whether you believe The Bible account or not it seems that in ancient times there was indeed a year long flood. It is written in the histories of Egypt, China, Iraq and India to name but a few that have similar flood stories. 

The flood was an event so profound it is remembered in folklore and texts in cultures around the world. 

Noah spent decades building the ark. He told everyone about the flood but only his family believed him.

But I wonder if by "the world" they really mean the known world and that the flood did not cover the entire globe?

And will it happen again? Well you might think that it was a mini version that affected Auckland recently, but according to the version in The Bible mankind was assured that it would not happen again. Here's hoping.
it would make sense, considering back then a few hundred KMs was probably the extent of most peoples world, any significant flood events would seem like it was global in scope to them... I recall seeing a doco about ancient glaciers that melted causing massive and catastrophic floods, carving out canyons etc and a lake where the side collapsed and emptied the lake... it wouldn't be a huge leap to suggest these may have been the foundation for the fables
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
There is some theorising around geological changes that caused the Med to either be created, or to overflow, flooding large areas of the really old occupied world, which make a lot of sense to me. Race memory perhaps?

Also, can I point out the way American's put on World Series of this that and the others on a regular basis, because for many of them, the rest of us are just terra incognita. I asked a table full of lovely Americans (none of whom had traveled outside their home town - Erie) where they thought New Zealand was... The concensus was somewhere round Alaska. No wonder some Americans think they are the world.
(11-02-2023, 12:18 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Also, can I point out the way American's put on World Series of this that and the others on a regular basis, because for many of them, the rest of us are just terra incognita. I asked a table full of lovely Americans (none of whom had traveled outside their home town - Erie) where they thought New Zealand was... The concensus was somewhere round Alaska. No wonder some Americans think they are the world.
Yes, that is something about the Yanks that amuses me. They put on the World Series but just forget to invite the world. They think that America IS the world.

And ask them where New Zealand is? They don't know where many of the places in their own country are!

But my experience is that they are very nice and very welcoming even if they are somewhat misled.

But I certainly would not like to live there with their attitude towards guns. They had 33 mass shootings last month alone! I think I'll stick to out of the way New Zealand, even if it is somewhere around Alaska. Rolleyes
(11-02-2023, 12:18 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: There is some theorising around geological changes that caused the Med to either be created, or to overflow, flooding large areas of the really old occupied world, which make a lot of sense to me. Race memory perhaps?

Also, can I point out the way American's put on World Series of this that and the others on a regular basis, because for many of them, the rest of us are just terra incognita. I asked a table full of lovely Americans (none of whom had traveled outside their home town - Erie) where they thought New Zealand was... The concensus was somewhere round Alaska. No wonder some Americans think they are the world.

I'm waiting for a American to tell me NZ is part of Australia. I have every intention of earnestly explaining to them that although its an easy & understandable mistake to make, they have it slightly wrong & Australia is in fact our West island... Rolleyes Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin

I think the idea that there was a massive flood around the area where many humans were living may have led to the great flood myth makes sense; while our ancestors certainly migrated all over the place there were times when they seemed to remain in one area for lengthy periods too so it has to be a possibility.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
They say the Sphinx has signs of tidal erosion, having been under water at some stage.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society