Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mushroom ID
We discovered a good crop of mushrooms growing on an old poplar shelter belt on our Taranaki property yesterday and we need a positive ID on them before we commit to a sauteed mushroom feed. We suspect they are Tawaka/Cyclocybe parasitica based on their appearance and location. Any mycologists or experienced foragers out there?

[Image: 1921139542.jpg]
I'm not an expert by any means but from your photo I'd have a doubt. I grew up being taught that the safe ones must be pale on top and dark brown underneath and peelable. You can check the peeling aspect on these. If they won't peel easily that settles it. From the appearance I can see here, the brown colour underneath doesn't look quite right and the stem on the button is longer than I'd expect. Also, two of the smaller ones have the wrong colour on top. As I said, I'm not an expert so hopefully someone who does know will come in. If your photo is accurate and representative, I think I'd err on the side of caution from what I can see here. Of course they could be another species that is safe but that's way beyond my experience.

You could upload the photos to iNaturalist and you would likely get a firm ID from an expert. You would need to join (free and safe) first if you aren't already a user. Or if you don't want to go that far, looking at other fungi there might help. It's a bit fiddly to get started using the site but once you have it sussed it's very interesting and useful.
Out of curiosity I just checked iNaturalist for Cyclocybe parasitica and I see what you mean. My only mushroom experience is the common one we all eat. This is clearly different and your photos may be it. I would still seek an expert opinion, which you might get if you upload your photo/s with a suggestion of Cyclocybe parasitica. Someone is likely to agree or disagree quite quickly. And if not, you can also look up who the experts are and highlight the observation for them.

Good luck
We ran these past my step daughter in the UK who is an avid fungi forager and she came back with Cyclocybe parasitica unprompted. I've submitted the photo to iNaturalist and to an arborist friend who has worked both here and the UK. With any luck we'll be having sauteed mushrooms with our beef bolar roast this evening. If you don't hear from me for a while we IDed it incorrectly Undecided
(12-02-2023, 12:29 PM)harm_less Wrote: We ran these past my step daughter in the UK who is an avid fungi forager and she came back with Cyclocybe parasitica unprompted. I've submitted the photo to iNaturalist and to an arborist friend who has worked both here and the UK. With any luck we'll be having sauteed mushrooms with our beef bolar roast this evening. If you don't hear from me for a while we IDed it incorrectly Undecided

Do you realise IDed is an anagram od Died?

Ken  Tongue
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
(12-02-2023, 04:10 PM)Kenj Wrote:
(12-02-2023, 12:29 PM)harm_less Wrote: We ran these past my step daughter in the UK who is an avid fungi forager and she came back with Cyclocybe parasitica unprompted. I've submitted the photo to iNaturalist and to an arborist friend who has worked both here and the UK. With any luck we'll be having sauteed mushrooms with our beef bolar roast this evening. If you don't hear from me for a while we IDed it incorrectly Undecided

Do you realise IDed is an anagram od Died?

Ken  Tongue

And there I thought it was just my dark side... Wink
(12-02-2023, 04:47 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(12-02-2023, 04:10 PM)Kenj Wrote: Do you realise IDed is an anagram od Died?

Ken  Tongue

And there I thought it was just my dark side... Wink

Not just me then.... Big Grin Rolleyes
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(12-02-2023, 09:13 AM)harm_less Wrote: We discovered a good crop of mushrooms growing on an old poplar shelter belt on our Taranaki property yesterday and we need a positive ID on them before we commit to a sauteed mushroom feed. We suspect they are Tawaka/Cyclocybe parasitica based on their appearance and location. Any mycologists or experienced foragers out there?

[Image: 1921139542.jpg]

Contact Tim Thornwell from mushroomgourmet.co.nz
He is an expert on everything mushroom, he even will pay for samples sent to him that can be cultivated, he is always looking for new varieties!
Got a reliable confirmation on them through iNaturalistNZ. They were delicious Tongue
Good to see you are still with us......
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!