Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stranger covers fee for man in agony
If this isn't an indictment of our dire health system then I don't know what is. That someone suffering what must have been absolute agony to be turned away because he didn't have the $20 ACC surcharge needed to see the Dr. is disgraceful & definitely cruel.
His spine was fractured after a fall.
Imo there should be NO ACC surcharge. ACC either pays for the cost of accidents or it doesn't - & apparently, it doesn't now cover ever tiny thing.
Angry Dodgy

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3007960...nt-dispute
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
The very moment a corporate entity becomes involved in any transaction it's inevitable that things will be downgraded for the receiving party.

Ostensibly the entity is there to do a job but it has hidden agendas which only become clear as time goes on.

This is a fact and should be being countered by observers reporting back to powerful guardian safeguards.

NZ guardians seem to be disinterested or non-existent.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
ACC is a bit of a joke these days, they get enough funds from petrol levys alone.
ACC shouldn't be there to make money; it should be properly funded from taxes.
I'd never needed ACC until last year when I needed an X ray to see if a finger was broken or not, having jarred it playing with the dog so I found the closest place which does X rays & got myself there only to find that there was a surcharge of I think it was $50. Which came as a shock because until then I'd thought ACC covered everything & there'd be no charge.

While the finger apparently wasn't broken the unexpected $50 put a bit of a crimp in my budget - & for a non broken finger, its got a very odd little bump in it even now.

Imo, our entire health system should be paid for using our taxes.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
So not surprising that people go to A & E at our hospitals when it costs so much. Would ACC have paid the full ambulance costs if he had called one, or would he have to pay a surcharge on that too?
(13-02-2023, 03:46 PM)Magenta69 Wrote: So not surprising that people go to A & E at our hospitals when it costs so much. Would ACC have paid the full ambulance costs if he had called one, or would he have to pay a surcharge on that too?

I wouldn't be surprised if he'd had to - apparently they're no longer free or so I heard. Seems pointless to charge for that - whatever do they do if someone dies in the ambulance & can't be charged.
(13-02-2023, 06:19 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(13-02-2023, 03:46 PM)Magenta69 Wrote: So not surprising that people go to A & E at our hospitals when it costs so much. Would ACC have paid the full ambulance costs if he had called one, or would he have to pay a surcharge on that too?

I wouldn't be surprised if he'd had to - apparently they're no longer free or so I heard. Seems pointless to charge for that - whatever do they do if someone dies in the ambulance & can't be charged.
If its an accident there is no ambulance fee. It's paid by ACC
On face value it looks pretty bad but since it's Stuff reporting I take it with a grain of salt. I no longer trust Stuff's "woe is me" stories after seeing a couple where I knew either the people or the background and saw how much they twist things.

But, in the bigger picture I fully agree that government funded health care should be properly covered and include basic dental care. The problems we have arise because within the public system, the practitioners are all having to run as businesses. Each one has different overheads, different costs according to what services/equipment they have paid for for their practices, how many staff they employ (business managers are expensive!) and how much overlap there is with the public hospitals creating conflict of interest.

Our health sector is woefully underfunded and mis-managed and ACC really is a problem. They do need to keep funds in reserve to cover large scale emergencies, but the profits they make from investments are obscene.
(14-02-2023, 08:51 AM)nzoomed Wrote:
(13-02-2023, 06:19 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if he'd had to - apparently they're no longer free or so I heard. Seems pointless to charge for that - whatever do they do if someone dies in the ambulance & can't be charged.
If its an accident there is no ambulance fee. It's paid by ACC

Cheers for that; do you know if there's any surcharge on that?

(14-02-2023, 10:31 AM)SueDonim Wrote: On face value it looks pretty bad but since it's Stuff reporting I take it with a grain of salt. I no longer trust Stuff's "woe is me" stories after seeing a couple where I knew either the people or the background and saw how much they twist things.

But, in the bigger picture I fully agree that government funded health care should be properly covered and include basic dental care. The problems we have arise because within the public system, the practitioners are all having to run as businesses. Each one has different overheads, different costs according to what services/equipment they have paid for for their practices, how many staff they employ (business managers are expensive!) and how much overlap there is with the public hospitals creating conflict of interest.

Our health sector is woefully underfunded and mis-managed and ACC really is a problem. They do need to keep funds in reserve to cover large scale emergencies, but the profits they make from investments are obscene.

Agree - they really shouldn't be making any profit at all; all our health needs should be properly covered by our health system, & I've heard others say that removing a good many managers might not be a bad idea - definitely agree with that too.
(14-02-2023, 10:32 AM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(14-02-2023, 08:51 AM)nzoomed Wrote: If its an accident there is no ambulance fee. It's paid by ACC

Cheers for that; do you know if there's any surcharge on that?

for St Johns at least it is normally $98 part charge, but for accidents that have occurred in the last 24 hours (and accepted by ACC) it is paid for by ACC
https://www.stjohn.org.nz/what-we-do/st-...t-charges/

We joined there supported scheme a while back, which gets you free rides if needed
https://www.stjohn.org.nz/support-us/joi...er-scheme/

Since I have never needed it I consider it a donation, even though technically it isn't
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(14-02-2023, 10:38 AM)king1 Wrote:
(14-02-2023, 10:32 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: Cheers for that; do you know if there's any surcharge on that?

for St Johns at least it is normally $98 part charge, but for accidents that have occurred in the last 24 hours (and accepted by ACC) it is paid for by ACC

We joined there supported scheme a while back, which gets you free rides if needed

Since I have never needed it I consider it a donation, even though technically it isn't
Yes thats correct. 
I suggest anyone who feels they could make use of the ambulance service, to get a st john membership.
Consider it a donation but at least it gives piece of mind.
(14-02-2023, 12:46 PM)nzoomed Wrote:
(14-02-2023, 10:38 AM)king1 Wrote: for St Johns at least it is normally $98 part charge, but for accidents that have occurred in the last 24 hours (and accepted by ACC) it is paid for by ACC

Yes thats correct. 
I suggest anyone who feels they could make use of the ambulance service, to get a st john membership.
Consider it a donation but at least it gives piece of mind.
I became a member after requiring their services some years ago. A worthy cause to support.