Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ernest Shackleton taught us it was not possible
If you remember your history lessons from school you will know that he was an explorer who went to Antarctica, and amongst other things he took a bottle of whisky. For some reason he left it there and many years later when other explorers followed in his footsteps they discovered his whisky and noted that it was not frozen. How can that be? 

Due to the alcohol content of whisky, you won’t be able to freeze it. That being said, storing your whisky in the freezer is an excellent way to preserve it for a long period of time. Simply place your bottle of whisky in the freezer and ensure the cap is tightly screwed. Freezing pint of alcohol is -25c The freezing point of wine is -4 to -9°C, depending on its alcohol content. While water freezes at 0°C, alcohol freezes at -144°C. So logically, higher alcohol contents in wine result in lower freezing temperatures.

Personally I would not want to preserve my whisky for that long. I would prefer to drink it! Nevertheless, I just thought that you may find that interesting.
Best not to do it with wine or beer though. Oh, and it's Shackleton.
(14-02-2023, 08:22 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Oh, and it's Shackleton.
Thank you. I was not certain. I knew someone would correct me if I was wrong. Rolleyes
(14-02-2023, 08:36 AM)Roscoe Wrote:
(14-02-2023, 08:22 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Oh, and it's Shackleton.
Thank you. I was not certain. I knew someone would correct me if I was wrong. Rolleyes

You can always rely on this nerd...  Big Grin