Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rawiri Waititi's facebook post is unacceptable
Thumbs Down 
This is not appropriate material from a so called public servant as a member of parliament.
See screenshot below, quoted from his post:

"This day 14 February 1779 our Kanaka Maoli whanaunga killed Captain James Cook with his own knife, after his attempt to kidnap Kalaniʻōpuʻu, an Ali’i nui (Arikinui) of Hawaii. They cooked him and then ate him. Cook opened the door for the British coloniser to infect Te Moana Nui a Kiwa.
Valentines Day is a distraction to the true importance of today for all of our peoples of Te Moana Nui a Kiwa. Not today coloniser! Today we celebrate and stand in solidarity with our Kanaka Maoli of Hawaii [Image: 1f33a.png]"
Gross as it may be it appears to be entirely factual. References to coloniser/colonising probably aren't helpful to the cause, but far worse stuff has been posted online... As for posting this as an MP, well he is an MP representing Maori and indigenous interests...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
The savage mentality of mankind is always "just a shout away".

We are the "same as we ever were".

A polymorphous pervert capable of almost anything.

The only thing that may keep us in check is belief in non-existent gods or following philosophical ethics and morals.

Remind us of the misdeeds of the past at your own peril and ours.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
I suppose one could also make the case that since politicians are now fair game for stupid memes, hate and abuse from conspiracy theorists and other like minded nutters, then why should they not be allowed to post about uncomfortable but historically accurate events in defense of their cause...

Public figures are always open to any type of abuse, look what happened to Jacinda.

Comes a time to take off the velvet gloves but it works both ways, don't dish it out unless you can take it.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
I refer the OP to the written work of Dr Paul Moon and others, who describe the actions of the colonisers from the early days in historically accurate and well researched accounts. Some of those verified acts of criminal, exploitative, and inhumane natures visited upon upon those tangata whenua unfortunate enough to attract the attention of some of the so called heroes who colonised this land would seriously leave Cook's demise in the dust for ferocity and calculated cruelty.

This is exactly why we need to revisit the way our history is taught in schools. Ignorance is not an excuse for our biases.
I do not remember being taught about Captain Cook being killed (or eaten) when they were teaching me about his wondrous exploits in primary school...

I would refer everyone back to source publications such as Cook's diaries or those of Marc-Joseph Marion du Fresne. Or any other eyewitness accounts of the first explorers and colonisers here. You get a feel for how it actually was and what kind of lives people had.

There were great wrongs on both sides when you look back from where and who we are today. What should be important is moving forward and ensuring that everyone has the best life they can. Instead it's all excuses, anger and growing racism.
A quick look shows the uncertainty as to whether or not he was actually eaten; Hawaiians weren't cannibals so it seems unlikely despite his body being possibly baked.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/the-man...PFFN45GUE/

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2004/jul/...ties.arts1

https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article/how-.../xpl1a9z86
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(17-02-2023, 01:59 PM)SueDonim Wrote: I would refer everyone back to source publications such as Cook's diaries or those of Marc-Joseph Marion du Fresne. Or any other eyewitness accounts of the first explorers and colonisers here. You get a feel for how it actually was and what kind of lives people had.

There were great wrongs on both sides when you look back from where and who we are today. What should be important is moving forward and ensuring that everyone has the best life they can. Instead it's all excuses, anger and growing racism.

It's hard to imagine where all the "excuses, anger and growing racism."  is coming from - what can we do?

We can only move on when the ground beneath us is firm. At the moment it is not, because the history is not an even nor honest playing field.
The more pandering that takes place the more advantages will be taken.
(17-02-2023, 03:29 PM)zqwerty Wrote: The more pandering that takes place the more advantages will be taken.

Is that why businessmen and farmers are always moaning?
I do have other cameras!
So far, the taking advantage has been hugely one sided, wouldn't you say? Now the exploited are fighting back, the winners are complaining...
(17-02-2023, 03:29 PM)zqwerty Wrote: The more pandering that takes place the more advantages will be taken.

I don't think that attempts to redress past wrongs can fairly be called 'pandering'. And until we have an equal & equitable community we need to continue those efforts.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(17-02-2023, 11:03 AM)king1 Wrote: Gross as it may be it appears to be entirely factual.  References to coloniser/colonising probably aren't helpful to the cause, but far worse stuff has been posted online...  As for posting this as an MP, well he is an MP representing Maori and indigenous interests...

Such as cannibalism and he seems proud of it.

(17-02-2023, 01:43 PM)king1 Wrote: I do not remember being taught about Captain Cook being killed (or eaten) when they were teaching me about his wondrous exploits in primary school...
Me neither, its something I only heard about in later years.

(17-02-2023, 01:59 PM)SueDonim Wrote: I would refer everyone back to source publications such as Cook's diaries or those of Marc-Joseph Marion du Fresne. Or any other eyewitness accounts of the first explorers and colonisers here. You get a feel for how it actually was and what kind of lives people had.

Exactly, neither party is innocent or has a clean track record, but western colonisers are seen as the "evil" ones, yet were able to teach peace to the tribes, there is alot of benefits received, time to move on from past wrongs and get on.
Ok, if you don't like "pandering" try "appeasement".
(22-02-2023, 04:28 PM)zqwerty Wrote: Ok, if you don't like "pandering" try "appeasement".

That's even less accurate.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictio...ppeasement

"Appeasement means giving people what they want to prevent them from harming you or being angry with you."

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/diction...ppeasement

"the act of giving the opposing side in an argument or war an advantage that they have demanded, in order to prevent further disagreement "
Here you go:
"the quality of treating people equally or in a way that is right or reasonable:
He had a real sense of fairness and hated injustice."
"Appeasement means giving people what they want to prevent them from harming you or being angry with you."

Exactly. Backing down instead of acting from a position of strength, no respect gained by doing that.

"He had a real sense of fairness and hated injustice"

If only the world was like that.
(22-02-2023, 09:20 PM)zqwerty Wrote: "Appeasement means giving people what they want to prevent them from harming you or being angry with you."

Exactly.  Backing down instead of acting from a position of strength, no respect gained by doing that.

"He had a real sense of fairness and hated injustice"

If only the world was like that.

Redressing past wrongs is the right thing to do; it seems to work far better than pretending nothing happened.  Dodgy Rolleyes

Nobody is being 'appeased' but rather, past actions are being atoned for & some attempt to right those wrongs is now being made.